possible to convert (buy new axle, case, etc) rear bafang 8fun hub w single speed+roller brake to front?

I got a 26" rear wheel containing a 36v bafang 8fun motor with a single speed sprocket on one side and a roller brake on the other. I would potentially leave the roller brake since I can easily adapt that to the fork I have. for the gear side- I already opened the sprocket side and dumped the bearings, but can't figure out how to get the pawl/sprocket attachment off. is there a way to do this, or alternately is there a place to order a new axle or case that would allow me to configure the motor as a front drive?

You took apart the freewheel? Now that it's apart, you can clamp what's left in a vise and twist the wheel to unscrew the remaining parts. But the usual way is to use a spline tool that matches the spline in the freewheel body. For most single freewheels, that's a four prong remover. Some single freewheels are designed only to be removed destructively, though.

FR-6_005.jpg

Your rear motor axle is probably about 1-1/2 inches wider than a normal front fork. You'll have to reconcile that if you want to use it in front. Either bend the front fork wider (equally on both sides, and only if it's a rigid steel fork) or use a fatbike fork that comes with the right spacing.

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish, but it's probably a better use of your time to find a front hub motor wheel that works the way it is.

Some of the surly 135mm forks were offset like a rear wheel. I believe they were the earlier ones when fatbikes were not common. I guess people were making them with rear hubs. Rear wheels have dish to them to allow the rear cassette more room.

Keep that in mind when shopping for a 135mm fatbike fork to mount a rear motor up front.

I think its probably cheaper and easier to buy a new hub motor since those surly forks are expensive.

I don't have it in front of me, but a few weeks ago I got my outside caliper and took some measurements and the motor/axle fit in whatever front fork I had laying about.
the reason I'm pursuing this is that the wheel/motor is a single speed (and already in my possession and I'm uninterested in lacing a wheel which involves buying oddball spokes etc.). there aren't any good parts catalogs for e bike stuff (god, I wish the companies published technical drawings and datasheets for their products. imagine the trouble that would save us?? a few wiring diagrams and spec sheets?) and having it be a 26 inch front wheel motor would allow me to toss it on any ol bike in a matter of minutes.
I haven't revisited that wheel in a bit, but I believe chalo might be right about the 4 prong remover. I have a ton of tools, but of course not that. might just china one for cheap.

Back