How to deterimine if a battery is OK to use

Big Tom

10 W
I have just built my first e-assist trike. I received my "hub and stuff" from e-bikes.ca and love it. I would like to thanks Justin and the other staff there in helping me understand how e-bikes work and what would be best for me.

What I have is an eZee hub, 48volt 10amp battery, their controller, what I would like to know is how do you tell if another battery would work properly for me. I have a chance to use a battery from a Scooter (60v 20 Amp Lithium). I could put this battery into a trailer which would give me greater range when I go camping in the middle of nowhere (norther Ontario), the nearest place to get supplies would be an Outfitter Post 50 miles on logging roads.

What or how do I determine if it would be ok for me to use.

Thanks Tom

You need to have a controller rated for the voltage. And a battery rated for the current draw of the controller. Your scooter battery could handle the ezee controller current draw easily. But sadly when fully charged it will be well over the voltage rating of the capacitors in the controller. The ezee controller is only rated for 48V batteries no higher.

Big Tom said:
I have a chance to use a battery from a Scooter (60v 20 Amp Lithium).

Thanks Tom
Removing a few "cells" or "segments" from the scooter battery should put it right in the pink!
At 48v.
The 20 amps has no effect ... except, double the range.

Start by getting a voltmeter, and compare the fully charged voltage of both. Your controler should be good for up to 60v, and your current battery should be above 50v fully charged.

It might be possibe to lower the voltage of the scooter battery if it's above 60v when charged, but a bit of a pita.

50 miles on logging roads, so you would need to charge at that spot, and use the entire charge only to return to your house and then back to this trading post? will they even let you charge? i grew up driving on logging roads in louisiana, you do not get very good mileage on those types of surfaces. this is why petrol is so valuable. dense energy.

Back