How to fix cross threaded magic pie axle. What thread pitch?

brumbrum

100 kW
Late last night after building my pie into a heavy duty mavic rim, sorting out the usual rear wheel fitment problems and making a torque arm and getting everything to fit nicely i threaded the bolts back on to the axle and one axle and bolt stripped/cross threaded. Whats the best way to fix? And does anyone know the the thread pitch of the bolt and axle.

Thanks
Andrew

If you have a good nut left from the other side, a good hardware store can tell you what pitch it is.

If you really bunged it up, you might have to go with a different, slightly smaller size. Basicly, remove old threads, start new with whatever fits on what's left of your axle diameter.

How far did you mar the threads? You may be able to cut off 1/4" or so of axle to get back to good threads.

GM 901 axles are 14mm x 1.5. Not sure about MP axle, but I'd guess the same. Verify first.
http://www.amazon.com/14mm-Carbon-Steel-Hex-Rethreading/dp/B000P4DNR8

Thanks for the help. I have had a look today with fresh eyes and in a sober state :roll: I have saved the axle thread by using a thin file to clean and sharpen a flattened single thread. It is now ok. It is the nut which is stripped so not as bad as seen at 1.30am after a number of strong ciders :lol:

The nut size is 14mm but i am not sure of thread pitch.

Thanks for all the comments.

If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Otherwise i will try and get a local workshop to look at the working nut.

Get a new nut for sure. Once you know the size, lug nuts have more depth for more threads engaging the axle threads.

When all else fails, pinching torque arms.

Thanks all again, the thread pitch is 1.5mm . I measured 10 protruding thread rings and they took up 15mm in length. I also bought some 1.25mm pitch threads and they didn't fit... Lol

Back