HP DPS-1200FB A (1200W Server PSU) - Pin functions ?

Matador

100 kW
CONTEXT :
I have a BC168 6S Balance charger. The charger is great as it balance charges directly through the balance leads (no cell bleeding by resistor, all balancing is done by charging !). Technically, each cell can be charged to up to 8AMPS. At 4.2V, 6 channels at 8Amps each make 202 W of output power. The BC168 charger requires 300W (ideally 330W to make sure) in order to be used at it's fulled potential.
The thing is, as many chargers (for example the well known Imax B6 charger - 50W), you're left to choose your own power supply to feed the charger. My BC168 can be feed with 12-15Volts. My Imax B6 min can be fed with 11-18V. My BST900 boost converter can be fed with 8-60V IIRC.

THE FIND :
Though I'd share a find with you guy, thanks to Doctorbass for telling me about this great deal. I got this HP DPS-1200FB 1200W Server Power Supply for 30 dollars canadian off eBay. They are everywhere and for cheap. In USA, you can probably get them for 15 USD shipped. The 1200W rating is if the mains are 240V AC. With 110-120V AC, it outputs 900W which is more than enough for my needs. There is a lot of discussion about this PSU on RC forums and Youtube. Some people even show video tutorials on YouTube about how to put up 4 of these in series to get 48V with what they call "THE FLOAT MODIFICATION". This modification is apparently absolutely crucial (all but the first power supply need modification for grounding).
To make it work (otherwise, the PSU stays in Standby, with 0 Volts on the output), some people solder a 560 Ohms or 1kOhms resistor across pins 33 and pins 36. Others just put a jumper or a switch between these pins.

THE QUESTION :
I was wondering, what's the best resistor value to put between those pins ? Is it best to just put a jumper ? I could not find information about the best way to do it... What's the rational behind that resitor thing ? At one point, I was wondering, what's the function of all these pins on the PSU ???
Well, I finally found a detailed description about this PSU by someone who seems to work in the field of computer server engeneering... He explains every pin.
Though I'd share the link (a blog) with you guys. Here it is : http://colintd.blogspot.ca/2016/10/hacking-hp-common-slot-power-supplies.html#!/2016/10/hacking-hp-common-slot-power-supplies.html
In case the blog website disapears one day, here is the text in PDF version (archive for future reference if needed) : View attachment Hacking the HP DPS-1200FB A PSU.pdf
FINALLY, THE PICS (Here is my DPS-1200. I added some homemade copper contacts, and made holes in them for more ease of use - see last pic) :IMG_1097.JPGView attachment 3IMG_1107.JPG Would push 12V@75A (on 110-120 AC mains) or 12V@100A (on 200-240V AC mains), so I though It'd be best to have heavy duty copper contacts. I made them with 1/4 inch copperpipe that I flattened, open in on end with a dremel grinder disk tool. Also made multiple small holes to add even more solder inside. Made bigger holes for wire lugs to be bolted in.
View attachment 1IMG_1105.JPG

Made some custom special "two face " copper logs for it...
Once again, i did it with 1/4 inch OD copperpipe, dremel tool, carefull drilling and sanding

PICS :
1.jpgtop1.jpgtop2.jpgflip.jpg

I Will hydrolic crimp those on heavy gauge copper wire (probably 6AWG or 8AWG)...
Itt will power my BC168 charger like it's a walk in the park.

I have one of these, it's great. Thanks for the info!

Is there a way to keep the fan from powering on just when it's plugged in (not "enabled" with the pins)? I'd like to plug it in and turn it on with a switch but the moment I plug it in the fan starts idling.

Trogdor said:
I have one of these, it's great. Thanks for the info!

Is there a way to keep the fan from powering on just when it's plugged in (not "enabled" with the pins)? I'd like to plug it in and turn it on with a switch but the moment I plug it in the fan starts idling.

I'm not sure, but there is a guy on youtube who did plug in an arduino to control the fan...

I found one of these for like $15 or something, I knew I should have bought it.

Can you use these server psu's to bulk charge batteries without a bms?

I know for the smaller psu's there is a fan mod, the HP's and Dell's but in the 750W region, I am sure there is the same for this 1200W unit.

Its a matter of who else bought one and posted up their tinkerings.

markz said:
I know for the smaller psu's there is a fan mod, the HP's and Dell's but in the 750W region, I am sure there is the same for this 1200W unit.

These PSU are really well voltage regulated. I think you could use them to bulk charge batteries... BUT I would'nt want to charge my 0% SOC ebike Battery at a 75A charge rate and I'm pretty sure the PSU is NOT CC regulated.... So for my eBike, I'd put a BST900W boost converter after the PSU and put it in CC mode so it would act as a current regulator. The downside is that the BST900W is limited to 15A input (so if only one PSU on the BST900W, thats 180W).

But Lets say you put 4 in series (have to do a "float" modification on all PSU but one) to get 49.2V, then the BST900W could pull 738 Watts and up the voltage to say 54.6 or 58.8V.... Pretty sweet charging setup. 4 PSU at 60$ + a BST900W at 30 $ (get the one with the right mosfets that support up to 120 or 150V)...
For that price you get a 740W charging setup AND you can charge from 49.2V to 120V (you cannot step down voltage with a boost converter... so to get lower than 49.2, take off a PSU from the 4 in series...).

BUT Hey, My EM3EV 58.8 5amp (294W) bulk charger ended up costing me 115 USD with taxes, shipping and customs.

Concerning the fan of the PSU.... If you don't mod the DPS1200FB A, then the more current you draw from it, the higher the fan speed. But unless you draw a lot, these Server PSU are surprizingly quiet compared to others (some Dells are crazy loud !)

It's Doctobass who told me about these PSU and what a great deal they are.
Doctorbass is using six of these PSU to charge his 72V e-motorcycle at a whopping 7.2kW DC rate (He must be plugging them on 220 V AC mains or his chevrolet Volt charging station or something... that's a lot of power to draw), otherwise 6 of these at 110V would max out at 5.4 kW, but then again, all my 110V main will probably blow the breakers at 1500W or so.

Matador said:
markz said:

These PSU are really well voltage regulated. I think you could use them to bulk charge batteries... BUT I would'nt want to charge my 0% SOC ebike Battery at a 75A charge rate and I'm pretty sure the PSU is NOT CC regulated.... So for my eBike, I'd put a BST900W boost converter after the PSU and put it in CC mode so it would act as a current regulator. The downside is that the BST900W is limited to 15A input (so if only one PSU on the BST900W, thats 180W).

But Lets say you put 4 in series (have to do a "float" modification on all PSU but one) to get 49.2V, then the BST900W could pull 738 Watts and up the voltage to say 54.6 or 58.8V.... Pretty sweet charging setup. 4 PSU at 60$ + a BST900W at 30 $ (get the one with the right mosfets that support up to 120 or 150V)...
For that price you get a 740W charging setup AND you can charge from 49.2V to 120V (you cannot step down voltage with a boost converter... so to get lower than 49.2, take off a PSU from the 4 in series...).

BUT Hey, My EM3EV 58.8 5amp (294W) bulk charger ended up costing me 115 USD with taxes, shipping and customs.

Concerning the fan of the PSU.... If you don't mod the DPS1200FB A, then the more current you draw from it, the higher the fan speed. But unless you draw a lot, these Server PSU are surprizingly quiet compared to others (some Dells are crazy loud !)

It's Doctobass who told me about these PSU and what a great deal they are.
Doctorbass is using six of these PSU to charge his 72V e-motorcycle at a whopping 7.2kW DC rate (He must be plugging them on 220 V AC mains or his chevrolet Volt charging station or something... that's a lot of power to draw), otherwise 6 of these at 110V would max out at 5.4 kW, but then again, all my 110V main will probably blow the breakers at 1500W or so.

Hey Matador, i have found a great boost Dc-Dc converter that can take 50A at input ( max 1200W out) but max 600w out with 12V input and 1200w out with 24v input and constant current, constant voltage!
price seems a bit high bit at 84$ CAD shipped for a 1200W converter that can take 50A at input that is a pretty decent deal!! plus it have a protected enclodure!.. imagine charging your ebike at 600W from any car battery or 15$ psu!

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/1500W-5...726589?hash=item3acd600a7d:g:xYgAAOSwCGVX5UUj

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Hey Matador, i have found a great boost Dc-Dc converter that can take 50A at input ( max 1200W out) but max 600w out with 12V input and 1200w out with 24v input and constant current, constant voltage!
price seems a bit high bit at 84$ CAD shipped for a 1200W converter that can take 50A at input that is a pretty decent deal!! plus it have a protected enclodure!.. imagine charging your ebike at 600W from any car battery or 15$ psu!

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/1500W-5...726589?hash=item3acd600a7d:g:xYgAAOSwCGVX5UUj

Doc
eheh
Nice find Doctorbass ! I'll keep this one in the back of my head for potential future uses.

I'm sure there is many awesome things to do with this DPS-1200FB. I initially bought the DPS1200FB to feed my 300W BC168 balance charger... I figured, why buy a way underpowered 90W laptop charger (too weak for a BC168) when for the same price or less, I can get a DPS-1200FB that has way more overhead than I need.

The BST900W was just an additional gadget I bought to have fun with when I want to play around (Watch yourself guys, 120V DC voltage is no joke... it sticks to you more than 110 AC).... It's actually a awsome alternative to a bench lab power supply, as long a you understand the limitations of it (boost converter not good for voltages lower than the DC PSU that powers it, amperage input limit, etc.)

The more I think about it, the more I think that we could use the DPS-1200FB to a make crazy flexible power supply.
Put two DPS1200W in series to get 24V (that 15 USD x 2).
Then add that 65$ boost converter that can handle 50A input.
You then construct a 1200W charger (close to the max power my 110V AC mains can handle anyways)
From 110V AC mains, the DPS1200FB can generate a max of 900W....
With 2 in series at 24V, pulling 50A is just asking 600W on each DPS-1200FB...
This seems like a reliable setup indeed !

Yeah see that is the key with that unit at 120Vac(input) and ??Amps.... its spitting out 12V ~80A to get ~900W, but it also can use 240Vac(input) and spit out 12V ??Amps to get the 1200W. For $85 its not bad, but for any of them Dell's/HP's which I have a few, 120Vac(input) 10A and spits out 12V 65A (~750W) and those are selling for $10-$20 all day long, even at recyclers. I was lucky to buy a few for $3 each.

markz said:
Yeah see that is the key with that unit at 120Vac(input) and ??Amps.... its spitting out 12V ~80A to get ~900W, but it also can use 240Vac(input) and spit out 12V ??Amps to get the 1200W. For $85 its not bad, but for any of them Dell's/HP's which I have a few, 120Vac(input) 10A and spits out 12V 65A (~750W) and those are selling for $10-$20 all day long, even at recyclers. I was lucky to buy a few for $3 each.

Yes at 200-240V it can spit 100A at 12V.

I am on the hunt for more amps at 42V(10S) currently I am at 15A, but would like 25-30A @ 42V cc/cv just like my mw hrp-300-24

DB's find looks interesting
http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/1500W-50A-DC-Boost-Converter-Step-up-Power-Supply-Module-IN-10-5-60V-OUT-15-70V-/252553726589?hash=item3acd600a7d:g:xYgAAOSwCGVX5UUj

I have some Dell 12V psu's that spit out 62A, so can adjust the output voltage is a bonus. 30Amax output from the converter, at 41.5V is 1250W. Halves my charging time, by doubling my amps for $80(cdn) with "$15" two psu's.

Back