HS3540 20" wheel and spokes

energyi

10 W
Dear Endlesssphere:

I need your help. Can someone suggest the best spokes/wheel suggestion for a HS3540 motor and 20" wheel, ideally from the same US based vendor? Mostly road/paved trails, 100 to 150 lbs on this wheel. I am tired of constantly having to tighten the spokes. I will have a local bike shop lace it up. Thanks in advance.

Joe Mc.

Depends on the tire you want to use. Narrow tire, narrow rim. Wide tire, wide rim. Radial lace should be a breeze for 20" rim.

wesnewell said:
Depends on the tire you want to use. Narrow tire, narrow rim. Wide tire, wide rim. Radial lace should be a breeze for 20" rim.

wesnewell thanks for the reply. Using a 1.95 Maxis Hookworm and a slime tube. Thanks in advance for any suggestion on spokes that work with a HS3540 (head needs to fit into HS3540 properly) and a good rim. 13 guage spokes?

Best Regards,

Joe MC.

I have no idea what part of the world you are in.
****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations and you will waste your time and others. Thank you.

http://www.ebikes.ca/SpokeCalc.shtml
Ths HS3540 has 3mm spoke holes. For 20" rim, I'd radial lace it with 12G (2.6mm) SS spokes

I think it really depends on what you plan to do with the bike. SunRingle, Halo, Alex all make top end 20" rims. If those aren't extreme enough for you, a 16" motorcycle rim is the same size, and will the dimpled spoke holes will allow for a cross lace pattern.

As for spokes, Member JRH has Holmeshobbies, and can solve your spoke problem.

Thanks for the help. Mostly road/paved trails, 100 to 150 lbs on this wheel. Denver Colorado.

Have used the recommendations from this list/thread to order qty-36 Sapim Stainless Custom Spokes 12ga, Length: 78.6 mm per the calculator http://www.ebikes.ca/SpokeCalc.shtml for a rim with effective rim diameter (ERD) of 390 mm. Will keep the list posted as to lacing and truing. Thanks again.

Joe Mc.

Built that wheel with the stainless steel spokes. Only feedback I would suggest is to make sure your rim can accommodate the thick spoke nipples. I had ordered a 20" wheel that had rings in the spoke holes and the spoke nipples wouldn't fit. Luckily the old rim was not warped so just used the old rim. Also had to bend each spoke head slightly for the HS3540 motor such that the spokes pointed to the holes in the rim. I had it trued at REI for $12.50. Hope all this is helpful in someway.

Back