HS3540 hub open few questions

dimpirate

100 W
Good news first, all halls working!!
I was having an intermitent problem with one of halls. Lyen tester was only showing 3 halls when motor was freshly used, warm. Been using sensorless controller past few weeks. One of zip ties was way to tight so i cut it gave a bit of slack to wires and put a new one, easy fix :) . I did notice though that 2 of the halls seemed to have very little glue on them, this might also have been a reason for the intermitent failure.

Heading to hardware store tommorow I was wonderong what kind of glue, epoxy you guys recomend for halls?? ill givem a little patch up

Now the not so good news.
Taking wire side cover of was a real bitch not cause of the usual 1st time problems (screws, glue....) That actually worked out well. The bearing stuck to cover side not allowing me to extract cover thru axle plus wires. Eventually i got bearing to loosen, but along the way I tore out little slinky looking thing (picture below). Im thinking, hoping this piece belongs to rubber ring to help prevent water from getting in. Ill be drilling holes in cover so water isnt a big concern.

Is my assumtion correct, or is this a crucial neccacary piece? Does this belong to bearing.. :| ?
If this piece is immportant, do you think I can find it at hardware store and what are specs?

Ok Just a few more things. Drilling holes for water and aircooling.
Reading your opinions and watching justins video on water ingress, water holes are a must for me, it gets wet in florida and ill be riding rain or shine! If Im driling holes they may as well be effective for aircooling as well. Been reading thru some threads like air cooling my X5 http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9791&start=75 and Ventilating a hub motor shelbyelectro (great sight by the way) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._dmiDw&usg=AFQjCNFKHY_y2z_vS6NUFan6AEOTbBYA-Q.
Seems like most agree holes close to axle, ( though not to close to avoid weakening covers) and holes close to edge over stator.
Some of you have been at it for a while whats worked best for you, what size holes, how many, distances, drilling at an angle. Just want to know if with all the experimenting done on ES if theres a general consensus yet for a best, better application.

last little thing (not quite on the motor subject but...)
Ill be running motor on 18S4P Lipo with Lyen 12 fet, Im going to be Using same original guage wiring from crystalyte on hub, when I program lyen controller what amps would you recomend I not ecxeed?

Thanks guys
all help appreciated
Fred

definatelly that, dont think it should be a big deal rubber seal still feals strong, uffff first time ive opened a hub just had me thinking what did i frock up now :roll:

Back