Hyperion 1420i For $110!!

mistercrash said:
I didn't find any options for shipping outside the US on that first link. I bought stuff from Amazon before and got hit with crazy custom fees and taxes. I just received mine for which I paid $132.55 CDN from a Canadian online store. With taxes and next day shipping, $160 CDN. This was the safe way for me to know exactly how much it would cost without any surprises.
What store did you buy it from?

neptronix said:
motomech: you probably moved on since now, but the meanwell NES is basically useless. The idea of using a 350w meanwell as a bulk charger is kinda dead now :|

hillzofvalp; that is awesome and i glad you got that to work :)

at 350W, even if you had a 24V version of the NES it would be a tad underpowered as the power supply for the Hyperion.

current prices in Canada vary from $132 to $145.00. I think i'll be buying one of these as it could make life a bit easier.

rick

Since i just recently got interested in some kind of balancing charger, i never really read any of these threads until now. The USB Isolation issue is not uncommon. I have also had the USB Issue when connecting to ANE LifePO4 BMS boards. and ther is a solution - A USB Isolation Cable.

At $48USD it may not be the cheapest solution. but it definitetly is a solution. the robotics guys use these kinds of things all of the time. this one from Circuits@Home is the cheapest one i was able to find that gave me any confidence in it working properly.

http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/usb-interfaces

In Canada you can get them from:
http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?CatID=0&SubCatID=0&SubSubCatID=0&ProductID=1226

Or in the EU
http://www.lipoly.de/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=209711

I cannot report on how well it works with the Hyperion charger yet. I haven't got the charger, but i can report that it works very well with the ANE Battery Management Boards.

rick

Thanks Rick for letting us know about those isolation cables. I get my Hyperion on May 1 and will start by using it with a 24 amp 15 volt power supply I have now. I'll report on how well it works with the lower voltage.
otherDoc

That is elite as hell, i love it!! that powerchair guy kicks ass, wish we had him here on the forums.

psycholist said:
Unfortunately I don't think my laptop has Bluetooth. How would I know?
Well, if you don't have the manual, do a google search with your model #. Surely there must be a site revealing the specific features of your laptop.
Well it doesn't exist in the devices list. however I just found this:
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

I wonder if it would work?
otherDoc

neptronix said:
That is elite as hell, i love it!! that powerchair guy kicks ass, wish we had him here on the forums.

Betcha he'd show up if we started a wheelchair category on the forum. I can visualize Dual Clyte wheelchair applications. Those guys don't know what they're missin. Think of the amount of lipo they can pack under that seat. :p

psycholist said:
neptronix said:

Betcha he'd show up if we started a wheelchair category on the forum. I can visualize Dual Clyte wheelchair applications. Those guys don't know what they're missin. Think of the amount of lipo they can pack under that seat. :p

being a chair rider myself, i have drooled over his chair for a while. but it is way expensive. his controller is like $700USD on it's lonesome.

i have also thought of doing a dual 5306 Crystalyte chair. but there are many issues. a chair motor must have an active brake, otherwise the chair will roll away whenever it feels like it if not under power. that could be done with a solenoid operated disc brake, it would also have to be modified to have a stub axle on one side only, and it needs to have a lot more low speed torque than most direct drive hubs can manage. remember it's not like a chair rider has the option of pedaling or getting off and walking up a steep incline. lastly how many brushless chair controllers with a joystick have you seen?

you would not believe how steep a bus ramp can be if the bus is parked in an awkward location. i have been in situations where even with the torque a seriously geared down chair motor can make, i've been stuck on a ramp. still would be a nice fantasy Doin' 20 instead of 5mph. Badges? who need stinkin badges!! i'd love it.

rick

ordered the 1420i from a store in Toronto yesterday. glad i didn't pay any extra for any fancy shipping. I didn't have to. it arrived at 9am this morning. Way to go Canada Post!

Now I've go to wait for Fedex to deliver a bunch of JST-XH connectors from Digi-Key so i can make the balance leads.

rick

Four Magic Pies with tires on them makes a mean wheelchair. Will climb bus ramps at speed. :)

Hyperion recommends 700 watts at 24 volts for the supply, if I remember correctly. The Hyperion can output 550W, so some headroom over that is required. The Meanwell SP-750-24 looks good.

I have been running my Hyperion on a Meanwell 15V 350W supply. Works fine, but the output power is limited to a lesser value. I didn't check out the specific value but it did 250 watts no problem.

It is always best to stay below 80% load to promote long component life.

psycholist wrote:This is the ultimate USB isolation solution http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/hyperion-1420-bluetooth-conversion.htm

However, Be aware that doing this mod voids the warranty

Just given this ago, took all morning to do the software side which you have to follow to the letter and make sure you download the hyperionSuite from the wheelchair guys website the one off the actually hyperion site gave issues.

worked from 8 till 2 on this so six hours later, success.

obviously photos now so you don't disbelieve me.

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG
where the install will go
IMG_0169.JPG
underside of hyperion board
IMG_0170.JPG
The installed £5.50 serial to usb card from tomtop on ebay
IMG_0172.JPG
screen grab to show 3s battery balance
View attachment 2
look ma no usb cable, its magic

My recommendation is dont do this unless you have no fear of breaking you hyperion. I felt like i almost bricked it doing the firmware at about 10am. had to do a search for a cp210x something or other driver.

also
this is the zip containing the hyperion suite that I used which i got from wheelchair guys website, as i said before the one from the hyperion site wouldnt work for me.
View attachment hyperionInstaller2.zip

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,558
Very Nice. looks good.

I've just ordered another of the USB Isolation units. i was going to try the one i already have, but it is buried inside of a panel for the battery packs. ans i'd have to remove all 3 packs to get at it. way too much work.

so as soon as i receive it i'll report on whether we have an alternative to the bluetooth hack. but i see no reason for it not to work. essentially it is a passive device and it does not need any drivers or anything.

rick

I see the point of the usb isolation unit. Ie to not void your warranty. but having said that I can now charge the lipo in the shed outside and monitor it web internets anywhere so I definitely prefer the bluetooth hack.

Back