• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

For those that purchased Hyperion with 1420i ttpack lvc board kit. Does any know if I can cut this board in half? I would like to cut it so I can put the batteries in the hammond case. I'm planning to do 12S2P. thanks.

Attachments

• tppacks_board.JPG
    tppacks_board.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 3,277
  • hammondbox.jpg
    hammondbox.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 3,277
I'm using the hyperion for the first time and set the charge to 75% full charge. I connected to the log view and I have this:
ScreenShot010.jpg

It seems that the more it charge, the less balanced is my pack??? And how come at 19.7V I'm only at 45% battery charge level?

First off, I don't know how high the cell voltage will terminate at TCS 75%. What I do know though, is that at 40% TCS, the cell voltages terminate at ~3.85-3.86v.
So at TCS 75% your probably looking at a significantly higher termination voltage.
Disregard the % capacity values computed by the wacky hyperion algorythm. It is not accurate. You have to experiment to find your desired termination point. Your cell gap looks to be around .1v with possibly a few runt cells and this is why the cell gap gets greater as the charge progresses. It will continue to do so until the balance mode kicks in. What I would do at this point is run the charger in the passive balance mode (not charging) and once balanced, cycle the pack a few times (while closely monitoring), to determine if you do indeed have some runts (lower capacity cells).

Some packs charge like that. Either it is imbalanced, or you are looking at a dud pack, one with cells that are not evenly matched at manufacture.

You are not balancing at that point, the pack is doing that naturally.

badturnigy.gif

One out of 10 turnigy packs i ordered does this. The purple cell you see charges way too fast. It will not work for a bulk charge, since if i set all the other cells to charge to 4.18v average, this one hits 4.21v. It also dies sooner.

zippydud.gif

Another zippy pack ( out of a total of 17 purchased ) does this. One cell is low on capacity.

About 12% of the packs i have received have had a cell that would cause problems during bulk charging, or would have unevenly worn other cells hooked up in parallel over a long period of time.

This is another reason why i strongly recommend cycling your packs as soon as you get them, to weed out the duds from the studs :lol:

I do not use them, so i do not have personal experience.

However, think of it this way. Even if you are taking care to keep a dud pack balanced, and cut off early, you are putting more cycles on that cell than the others. If you are repeatedly taking it down to 10-20% capacity but all the other cells are only down to 30-40% capacity, the dud cell is working far harder in relation to how many amp hours it can provide.

This is fine if you are OK with cutting off your pack early and losing amp hours because the weakest cell dictates how much capacity you can use.

If you are not, like me, then forget those. Then you have to be paranoid about keeping your pack in balance etc.

Thanks for the answer guys,

How do I set rhe passive balance mode? I only have the solo charge, discharge, storage and cycle mode. Is it hidden somewhere?

And is the standard cycle mode (for NI-MH) that should be used to spot bad cells? And if bad cell is spotted, can you ask hobbyking for an exchange? Lol

cwah, Sorry, It isn't literally called "passive mode". Press the mode button until you reach "Balancer Mode"
Just charge/discharge in lipo mode and monitor closely. Doing so will reveal any bad cells.
From what I've read, it isn't worth the hassle, or the return shipping cost, to exchange lipo from HK.

BTW i just got my hyperion 1420i in the mail today. no server power supplies yet, so i haven't charged..

I noticed that the TVC ( total voltage per cell ) can be dialed down to 4.15v, woohoo! Must be new firmware, because i remember hearing that this unit only went down to 4.18v, which sucks if you are bulk charging.

If you dive deep into the menu, there is a display of the serial number. Mine is blank / just a bunch of black squares. Is this normal?

neptronix, I remember reading about issues when using TVC but can't remember what they are off-hand, so I simply avoid it and use TCS instead. TCS 95% will get you ~4.13v - 4.14v. I believe you can set in 1% increments via software only. Otherwise 5% increments via the charger. Also don't use the store mode if you expect to store near 3.85v. I use 40% TCS.

Sorry, Can't help you with the serial# as my wife is asleep and the hyperion is under my pillow. :mrgreen:

Neptronix, I checked the menu for a serial on mine, got the same things as you, empty boxes, anyway either we both got grey market ones or its normal. Im betting its normal

visuthdy said:
For those that purchased Hyperion with 1420i ttpack lvc board kit. Does any know if I can cut this board in half? I would like to cut it so I can put the batteries in the hammond case. I'm planning to do 12S2P. thanks.

Yes you can cut the boards in half. That's how I did mine. But notice when you do you'll be cutting the traces (on the back side of the board) for the black and red wires. So just add jumper wires between the two halves of the board at those locations to keep continuity and you'll be fine.

WEird thing happened today. I have been charging 10S on one of my hyperions with no problems for a long time. Today I connected a 4S pack, started charge, then it says "output voltage too high" (roughly). The weird thing is that the main charge leads got hot enough to melt the insulation (18-20AWG) within that short timeframe from hitting start and it alarming out (1-2 seconds). I'm going to try the 10S pack again with caution. it appears that at that high of a current the battery must have been dumping energy into the charger.

why am I just learning of logview?!?

i am trying to charge 3s battery pack, also getting "output voltage too high"

the battery is 11.1v lipo 5000ah, settings in charger for 3s 5000ah so all fine. not sure why is this doing to me? i tried other 3s batteries with same result :(

EDIT: I tried to balance charge the battery [they are now around 3.95v per cell], plugged to the laptop to get more info..
the voltage of cells started to show 4.3v and more and the charger died soon after!

I opened it. Is it a 40a fuse went, it doesnt seem to be easily removable. is it soldered to the board? strange

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,445
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,445
to change the fuse i need to "unsolder" the legs from the bottom of the board right? cheers

ok i replaced the fuse and it is back alive but still getting this ridiculous error message- why output voltage too high ?

anyone similar issue?

ok, I know somewhere in this mile-long post is my answer...
but I just spent 30 min looking to no avail.

Question:

When wiring up the balance-wires coming from the Hyperion to go to a DB-25 Connector,
I first just wired my balance wires as if I were plugging in my 2 5S batteries to the hyperion balance port plugs. (one battery to ports 1-6 of 16, then the other battery to ports 9-14 of 16)
It worked well, but I realized after I wired it that way, that when I cycle through the "ports", the Hyperion shows a "blank" voltage for ports 6 and 7...
(because I had skipped over those two and jumped into port 8 to continue w/ wiring the other 5S)

So I have a few questions:

1. What is the best way to wire in 10S to the Hyperion ? (as far as port-use)
2. If I wanted the Hyperion to register 1-10 ports for my 10S pack, then how would I wire in the second 5S balance wires to the Hyperion ?
-examples: first 5s balance wiring is pretty clear... wire "ground", 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... but then the second 5S pack is a little confusing to me since "ground" voltage is actually the same as (port 6 ... or cell "5" voltage)... in which case, do I wire "ground" w/ the second pack to port 6 w/ "cell 5" ? or do I skip it all together and start wiring "6" to port 7 ? Then what do I do with "port 9" when the Hyperion is wanting "ground" of the high-pack to go there ? arg!.

I'm sorry if no one can follow the above. I find it challenging to explain.

EBJ said:

Question:

When wiring up the balance-wires coming from the Hyperion to go to a DB-25 Connector,
I first just wired my balance wires as if I were plugging in my 2 5S batteries to the hyperion balance port plugs. (one battery to ports 1-6 of 16, then the other battery to ports 9-14 of 16)
It worked well, but I realized after I wired it that way, that when I cycle through the "ports", the Hyperion shows a "blank" voltage for ports 6 and 7...
(because I had skipped over those two and jumped into port 8 to continue w/ wiring the other 5S)

2. If I wanted the Hyperion to register 1-10 ports for my 10S pack, then how would I wire in the second 5S balance wires to the Hyperion ?
-examples: first 5s balance wiring is pretty clear... wire "ground", 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... but then the second 5S pack is a little confusing to me since "ground" voltage is actually the same as (port 6 ... or cell "5" voltage)... in which case, do I wire "ground" w/ the second pack to port 6 w/ "cell 5" ? or do I skip it all together and start wiring "6" to port 7 ? Then what do I do with "port 9" when the Hyperion is wanting "ground" of the high-pack to go there ? arg!.

Just use 1-6 then 9-14 and it's work out. I've tried just using all 1-11 to try 10s but it freaks out and beeps alot. The charger is happy to charge any number of cells as long as it's in pairs or up to 7s single. Not sure how cells with a odd number of cells aka 13s can be charged and if you can charge it up using the 7s balance connector then the 6s balance would be my guess.

Here is a picture of how I do it. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39291
The last picture shows how it's done. You need to use their battery balance port connectors since it's not a one to one pattern unless you want to rewire.

EBJ said:

Question:

OK so here is a dummy question. I will have 2 6S lifepo4's A123 in series to make 12 S How should I wire the balance leads so the Hyperion will recognise all of the cells. I would buy Kin's system if I needed it, but how do you plug the 2 6S connectors into Hyperion. Cells 1-6 starting with ground in Port A and cells 7-12/ground in Port B? I'm confused!
otherDoc

Edit: Yes the pack will be a split one with 6S cells on each side of the trike. Much better balance for handling just like my old Ping is doing now.

Back