I had a lithium fire (my own fault)

Nibs

1 mW
I was working in my shop trying to tame my CNC, when the Missus crashes in and hollers FIRE, I dashes outside and there close to the house is my Electric Garden Tractor with flames shooting about 5 ft in the air, from the rear mounted metal battery box. Told her to turn on the hose which fortunately was nearby, she did that and I played the hose on the fire, the result shocked the living shyte out of me.
But first let me set the scene, About three years ago I got a super deal on a Nissan Leaf Battery, which I disassembled into 48 modules and a bunch of bus bars, BMS leads and other miscellaneous bits of hardware. I took 10 of the modules and built a 5s by 2p battery with a high quality BMS that had balancing leads as well as high and low temp sensors. Bolted it up between two pieces of 3/4" Baltic Ply with compression plates as needed. Put a 42V charger on it with fuses as needed.
That took care of the traction motor, which previously had been running at 24 volts so was now quite happy to have more volts.
The winch operated forklift on the tractor ( the dear little tractor had been a massive help over that last 11 years as we built our home) was a 12 volt Harbor freight special, soooo I put two of the modules together skipped the BMS and used a variable voltage supply to charge it. fused but otherwise not protected, after all what could go wrong, I only had to charge the 2 module battery once or twice a season.
Well I forgot it was on charge while fighting with the CNC, which is where the wife called the alarm.
The purpose of this windy tale is to describe how the fire was dealt with.
The door of the battery box was already open so I started to spray water into the box, saw that the fire was mainly at one end and concentrated the stream there.
The flames were pretty much gone within 30 seconds but there was quite a bit of insulation emitting smoke so I kept the water trying to cool the wires.
An interesting note is that because the insulation had been burned off the balance wires, they were arcing on the module cases on the big traction battery, I kept spraying them as they burned away until the wires were no longer long enough to reach the module cases. once the fire was right out, less than 5 minutes after we started with the hose, I pulled the modules out, the bank of 10 Was sooty and had the balance wires sticking out all over the place but was otherwise intact, I tested the 10 modules a week or so later and they seem to be fine.
The other two module cases were burned through on three of the four edges with holes about 4" long by 3/4" wide. these were not tested but were taken to the land fill.
The lesson here is obvious so don't bother with the lecture, the reason for the post is that if you can get water onto the individual modules of the battery it is quite easy to extinguish a fire. The problem of course is that in a car or other big battery array the cells are often encased in a strong sealed steel case and therefore inaccessible. Hope this helps if you ever need to put out a rather frightening and very hot fire.

The last time I used it it was good, but could have been nudged or something. Definitely my error, but the point is that the fire was relatively easy to put out.

Definitely my error
  1. You built a battery with no fail-safes.
  2. You started charging it with a charger with no fail-safes.
  3. And then you walked away, knowing about #1 and #2
That's more like premeditated arson than an error. :ROFLMAO:

Does seem like incorrect charger voltage. Each Nissan Leaf module is 2s2p. You say 5s2p modules, so that's 10s. Then you say a 48V charger. The right charger for 10s lithium is 42v. 10 * 4.2V.

Does seem like incorrect charger voltage. Each Nissan Leaf module is 2s2p. You say 5s2p modules, so that's 10s. Then you say a 48V charger. The right charger for 10s lithium is 42v. 10 * 4.2V.
As I read it, there was a "5s2p" pack (effectively 10s2p) for the main/"traction" motor, then a "2 module battery" for a 12V winch. Guess we'd assume that was built as "2s" - which would effectively be 4s, or about 16V for the 12V winch(?) Then he says it was the 2 module battery which caught fire.

He mentions a 42V charger, not 48. 42 would work for the 10s...would probably be ideal if it was limited to ~41.0 - 41.5V or so. This would help preserve battery life and is already a substantial over voltage for the 24V main/traction motor. But, yeah, putting a 42V charger on a 4s pack, then forgetting would definitely end in fire.

Anyway, glad the house/people/animals were unharmed. Thanks for the cautionary tale - and the reading comprehension test!

Ah, you are right. I'm used to a DC-DC converter for the lower voltage stuff. This was a separate, lower voltage battery, but getting charged with the charger for the higher voltage battery. Got it.

Ah, you are right. I'm used to a DC-DC converter for the lower voltage stuff. This was a separate, lower voltage battery, but getting charged with the charger for the higher voltage battery. Got it.
No !, …you have NOT got it !
Read the op again, he simply said he built a 4s pack and charged it with a VARIABLE VOLTAGE SUPPLY…
..no mention of what the charge voltage was other than to say it was good the last time he used it !
..so presumeably it did not overcharge that time ?

Apart from the fact that some of you are miss reading the original post, all the criticism is totally missing the point of the tale.
The fault was mine, for several reasons, that is a given, so skip the blame game I screwed up.
The point of the story is that THE FIRE WAS EASILY PUT OUT WITH WATER.

Is the tractor out of commission permanently or Just till you get a new battery ( you probably mentioned if the battery just needs rebuilding) hopefully a new 12V power source can be arranged for the winch. I saw a mast from a forklift on craigslist and thought about starting my lawn tractor project back up. Glad the fire wasn't worse.
later floyd

Thanks Floyd, the tractor will need some wiring because I just cut the wires in order to get the batteries out. Planning on taking a break until spring, then will rebuild the traction battery using the same modules, need to do some research on just doing a center tap on two pairs of modules, that way the whole will be as safe as the big battery was.
Would really welcome some feedback on putting the extra load on two modules. I do have extra modules, so using another pair for the lift winch will not be a problem, the problem is finding a 16V charger, I could use a 12V LA charger at 2 amps, but that sounds iffy to me. Am away in Europe right now and the tractor can sit until the snow is gone. Understand that the tractor was an absolute workhorse while we built our home, but now we don't really need it but it is an old craftsman garden tractor that now has hydraulic steering, a modified frame, and it just would not be right to have a funeral for an old friend.
Cheers.

16 v, 4s Li charger is readily available from hobby stores , Ebay Amazon etc.. likely less than $50.
something like this ..
or lower power 1-2 A Li chargers can be found for under $20 …EG…

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Nibs. Appreciate your honesty.

It makes me wonder if larger battery manufacturers for cars, powerwalls, etc. should incorporate a 'flush port' or something that would send water through the entire pack. Assuming it wasn't too dangerous to approach, a fire-fighter could then just plug-in their hose and let rip. Would be far more effective than the current spray where you can get to approach.

Cheers

Trying to filter out all the unrelated info re the traction pack, sounds like he used a variable voltage power supply. Those never turn off even when charging is done like a charger does.

~4.5v is where non-lifepo4 lithium starts to get 'explodey'. There isn't a large margin of error with lithium.

Internal resistance is u-shaped in most non-lifepo4 chemistries. As we get closer to 4.6v, internal resistance continues to go up and can help overheat the cell into thermal runaway.

To have a fire during charging means one cell needs to be around 4.6v, which means the pack is either really unbalanced, or the charger overcharged.
1700607929495.png

Why was there a fire?
Read the original post, the fire was because I overcharged the battery because I used a power supply probably with the output voltage set too high, and forgot to check, which I had always done in the past.

~4.5v is where non-lifepo4 lithium starts to get 'explodey'. There isn't a large margin of error with lithium.

Internal resistance is u-shaped in most non-lifepo4 chemistries. As we get closer to 4.6v, internal resistance continues to go up and can help overheat the cell into thermal runaway.

To have a fire during charging means one cell needs to be around 4.6v, which means the pack is either really unbalanced, or the charger overcharged.
View attachment 343217
The smaller (2 module) bank caught fire because it was overcharged, do not know if it was started by an unbalanced cell, there was no BMS, both modules were on fire with melt holes on three of the four edges. The fire was easily put out with water, and luckily the only real damage was to the electronics for charging the traction battery (BMS charger, power supply, fuses, and wiring, some wood charring and soot). Once the snow is gone in spring will rebuild the traction battery with all new bms, balancing wires etc and the two module winch battery and find a decent 16V charger, unless I get advice that I can trust about pulling a 16V tap from a pair of modules in the 40 volt traction battery.

The smaller (2 module) bank caught fire because it was overcharged, do not know if it was started by an unbalanced cell, there was no BMS, both modules were on fire with melt holes on three of the four edges. The fire was easily put out with water, and luckily the only real damage was to the electronics for charging the traction battery (BMS charger, power supply, fuses, and wiring, some wood charring and soot). Once the snow is gone in spring will rebuild the traction battery with all new bms, balancing wires etc and the two module winch battery and find a decent 16V charger, unless I get advice that I can trust about pulling a 16V tap from a pair of modules in the 40 volt traction battery.
I thought lithium batteryes fire can't be stopped with water, is this untrue?

Back