Incredible Headway perfomance !

olaf-lampe

10 kW
Today i abused my 12v/10Ah 38120S Headway pack with starting a 2 liter Diesel engine. There was no other battery connected.

At my first attempt the engined rev'ed slowly but it didn't start. 10qmm cable was not sufficient, so I took a real starter cable with 50qmm.
It was like starting with a normal lead-acid battery. Two or three quick crankturns and the engine starts!
I couldn't believe it.
The battery got pretty warm afterwards ( 40-45°C ), partly because of the high charge current from the engine-generator. After 30 sec. I stopped the engine to prevent ( more ) damage to the headway pack.

If I can get a good videocamera, I will repeat it and put it on youtube.
Don't try this at home, kids 8)
Olaf

Olaf

Did you measure the current it was supplying?

Kind of important.... we want to know what a 10Ah battery can supply, even if its in short bursts.

Might be too fast.... but those clamp meters have "peak-hold" settings that can capture a peak current measurement faster than you could read it.

Good to know it'l crank a car, I need to build a couple of these for people.

I'm using 4 cells (4s1p) in my gsxr-1000. Its built, with 1080cc's and very high compression. Cranks it over to start it very hard. Seems to crank faster than with the lead acid batter it came with. I'm gona have to come up with something better than an astro-blinky to balance, but so far they seem to stay in good balance.

Back