Installing Bafang BPM2/KU123 on a Trident Trike Stowaway II

I ordered this motor several months ago, have been really putting off installing this thing. But no more!

So I've tired/tubed up the Bafang and put a 7 speed freewheel from my other e-bikekit (which was swapped out with a 7 speed DNP Epoch). Its on the trike! No turning back...

Props to Mr. Xie for taking the time to answer my questions on Live Support on bmsbattery.com! And from a purchase several months ago! Awesome!

Apologize if this info seems basic! Will be putting the pertinent stuff in the wiki after I have a successful OPTEST.

FOR NEWBIES: I already had the KU123 wiring diagram, but didn't have the gouge on how to hook up the throttle with the 3 LED battery indicator and red ON/OFF switch. Yes the KU123 wiring diagram shows the throttle control being 3 wire plug with orange, black and green wires, but my throttle cable had orange, white and black. So I just had to make sure it was the right one on the controller! In addition, there were three other wires attached to the throttle cable: yellow, green and brown. On the throttle cable, green and brown may be soldered together already (and should be if they are not). Yellow is attached to + (RED wire from the battery). In addition, the thin red or orange wire coupled with the power input RED and BLACK on the KU123 needs to get + from the battery pack to power on the controller!

Will post results after I solder an anderson powerpole adapter cable for my existing battery (I have two e-bikekit.com kits, an out-of-commission POS mongoose and a pretty cool BikeE).

Once I get this all sorted out and tested, its going on the wiki!!! :D
And of course, photos are forthcoming...

Attachments

• KU123_controller_diagram.pdf
    77.1 KB · Views: 106
  • throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 659
A sensible way to wire those extra wires from the throttle:

Cut the thin red wire off the main power connector and join it ti the green and brown pair. Join the yellow to anywhere that has battery voltage (+ve). Then, when you press the red switch, the LEDs on the throttle will come on and the conroller will be active. With the switch off, the controller goes into "standby" mode and the LEDs go off.

I think it's the green wire that works the LEDs, so you can wire that to any battery +ve and the LEDs will be on when the battery's on, which leaves the yellow and brown to switch anything you want. You can connect them to the white wires to activate the speed limit, the blue wires to activate the cruise function, or you can connect to the black of the three speed switch and one of the other two to get either reduced speed or a power boost.

The cruise, when activated requires you to hold the throttle still for 5 seconds to engage cruise. This isn't easy when riding your bike except at full throttle, and then when you let go the throttle it carries on at max speed, which is frightening. Don't attempt to activate cruise without brake switches fitted otherwise you'll crash before you figure out how it all works.

The three speed switch to me is a mystery because you get different results with different motor/controller combinations. The black is common. When you connect it to one of the others, you get a significant speed reduction. When you connect it to the other, you get a speed/power boost of somewhere between 0% and about 20%, so it's worth investigating by inserting a short piece of wire as a jumper to test the effect. It can be very useful if your top speed is a bit low for what you want. It can get a 201 rpm motor from 18mph to about 21mph - if you're lucky.Other times there's no measurable effect.

d8veh said:
A sensible way to wire those extra wires from the throttle:

Cut the thin red wire off the main power connector and join it ti the green and brown pair. Join the yellow to anywhere that has battery voltage (+ve). Then, when you press the red switch, the LEDs on the throttle will come on and the conroller will be active. With the switch off, the controller goes into "standby" mode and the LEDs go off.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the clarification on that!

Back