Intense M3 + Clyte HT3525 + HD video

Crap, i pressed submit instead of preview. It is 12.40am.... Zzzzz

Hyena said:
Looking forward to seeing Mel's bike finished off too.
Finished! Apart from blue versions of the above pedals and some new Avid Elixr brakes coming for it. Yep their a shit to bleed alright, i'm just a glutten for punishment i guess :lol: You have to pull 'em all the way in? Have you checked your pads to make sure their not stuffed?

Hyena said:
Your handywork on my DB was admired by many on friday night at the 2 e-bike shops I parked outside during the course of the the group ride.A few people said "oh is that one of the stealths... no wait, it's too small. What IS that ? Where do I get one ?" Not totally finished off the wiring yet but it's near enough to finished - here's a pic in my build threadviewtopic.php?f=6&t=8482&start=1740#p638626
Haha unless they were followers of yours on Es, they wouldn't have a clue what it was! Thats looking great mate, about as low key as a big DD hub motor build can be. As you say, quite the 4.5kw wolf in sheep's clothing :wink:

If only our's were that stealthy, man we attracted some attention riding along the Geraldton foreshore on the weekend! :shock:
Hence why they will normally only be bush bikes...

Paul :D

That's gotta be the cleanest E-MTB ever! Would you mind if I emailed some pics and a link to the build thread to my buddy at Intense? I think he would be impressed and want to know more, at the very least...

Thanks Etard!
Yeah mate sure, feel free!

I got out for a trail ride yesterday while camping, 90% of it single track and 100% fun :) Used just 6.4ah of the 10ah pack over 20kms, 15km of them seeing 5kw peaks, the other 5kms were just tottering around with the missus on her Bighit.
I'm thinking i'll need to add the extra 5ah soon, it'd be nice to be able to stretch out some 30-40km rides :wink:

Went camping on the long weekend two weeks ago and had a chance to ride both bikes for about 20km each on mostly tight single tracks through the bush.
It was interesting to compare them but the results were as you'd expect. Mel's bike with its low weight and short seat height was a blast through the tight stuff, just a fraction quicker to change direction than the M3 but it lacked the outright power of the HT on the more open sections and the ability to power on through really rough sections (geared Mac).

I then did another ride last weekend on some trails i used to frequent with the Cyclone powered bike up in a rather hilly area. All was going well till i (rather stupidly) decided to take on a hill thats definatley more suited to a mid drive set up (bloody steep!). I got a run up but had to change my rut half way up and lost some speed which i suspect is when the heat really started. So we lumbered to the top and i was rather pleased with the HT's performance... right up 'till i smelt the smoke! :(

I looked down and smoke is pissing out of all the vent holes! MY first thought was do i whip out the camera and get a photo or lift the wheel and give it some rpms to help cool it? Luckily common sense prevailed... pity, it would have given some of the mid drive boys a laugh :lol:

So i pushed it to the very top of the hill and let it cool down for a while under the shade of a tree while bees buzzed around the place.
Thankfully the motor is ok and still taking 5kw peaks in its stride, i'm assuming it was only some of the acrylic coating buring off the windings - phew, no cromotor just yet!

001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

LOL! Yeah the MID drive is DEFINITELY better at the big hills, just drop a few gears and let her eat! Still, you can't beat how CLEAN that bike is! I think I'd take the hub simply by the looks! LOL! AND you don't have to carry a chain breaker just in case!

Whiplash said:
LOL! Yeah the MID drive is DEFINITELY better at the big hills, just drop a few gears and let her eat!
Damn straight, a muliti speed mid drive system always has the right gear for any situation to keep the motor in its happy place :)

I'll start rebuilding the Norco with the 80-100, HV140, RC - CA and Neugart soon, its time to go hill climbing again :wink:

At the same time i hear ya regarding no need for a chain breaker! :lol: No matter how hard a hub motor user pedals, they won't place the same strain on a chain and sprockets that a high torque, high power mid drive setup will with constant use (abuse?).

Must've read the entire build story here at least four or five times. Absolutely stunning! Wish I had this kind of fabricating talent. Do you ever sell any of your completed creations Paul?
John

yeah dude. i'm still trying to put my jaw back. totally stunning work.

obviously you're a talented pro. i would never attempt to weld an existing frame, A) because i suck at welding but B) because it's weakens the aluminum, once it's already been treated or somesuch. is that true? i have no idea.

but say i found a good local welder. what advice would you give someone wanting to cut up and existing frame and weld to it?

i'm guessing yours is much stronger now than it was before. or is it? are there parts of the frame you wouldn't cut? would it ever be okay to drill through and bolt to the frame?

awesome work.

ps. will the next one be yellow? primary colors? :mrgreen:

very very nice. To me, this is the same order of magnitute as Tench' or Teklektik's pieces of art.

Thanks fellas :) Sorry for the long delay replying, my father passed away a few weeks ago and had other things happen too so am trying to play catchs at the moment.

John - nah mate, i don't sell any more frames because as Greg refers to, they really should be heat treated after welding.
They are also very labour intensive and i just don't have that spare time these days unfortunately :roll:

Greg - spot on mate, they should be heat treated after welding to retain 100% strength. To be honest, with the riding i do i'm happy to take the risk as i'm not pushing the bike anywhere near as hard as a DH'er does. Plus i like the idea of breaking the rules :twisted:

Advice for doing a similar frame would be to use a minimum thickness of 3mm (aluminium) and to use gussets if needed. Oh and an extended wheelbase is great for stability too.
Strength wise i'd guess its a bit weaker than standard, mostly due to the large battery opening.
Any parts i wouldn't weld? Not really! :lol:

Drilling and bolting through i'd avoid, its something i've never been comfortable with really.

Colour of next one? Nice stealthy black 8)

I did get out for a sandy trail ride yesterday, managed 30kms / 8ah with 4.9kw peaks.

Yeah I agree on the 1/8" plate. I plan on doing a similar build but MID drive very soon. I nearly have enough saved for the welder, maybe another week or two hopefully! Bitchen rides Timma, but you know I love em!

Yes I missed that part also... my condolences...

Thanks guys, we saw it coming but its still hard when it happens.

I can't take a trick lately, today i parked my 4wd ute by a main road while heading off for a 1.5hr ride in the bush only to return to find it'd been broken into and my wallet stolen. Stopped in by my girlfriend's place on the way home, left my phone on the ute tray and drove off in a hurry to cancel my credit card at home. Luckily someone found my phone on the road and took it to my girlfriend's after calling me at home. The thief bought $125 of alcohol and $90 of phone credit before i could cancel the card, luckily the bank said i'm not liable... :roll: All on top of a crap day at work :evil:

Pass me another rum....

Paul

I got some goodies comin :D
Finally more range, better braking and vids to follow :wink:

HOPE M4.jpg
Hope Tech M4's front and rear with braided lines

View attachment 3
Another 5ah to add to the existing 10ah

16457-6.jpg
Two of these in 203mm

GoProHero3SilverEdition__53522_zoom.jpg
GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition with bar mount kit

ha ha at last a go pro some good videos to come me thinks i have hope m4s and thay are the best set i have had so far mmmmm and yes timma2500 i still have not finished my m3 :oops: still got to sort out the lifepo4 cell pack and balance wires split a 48v 20 ahr pack in to for parts but think i will go back to 2 24v 20ahr packs less wiring in frame that way ha just got a new bike alarm that talks if you mess with it it tells you GET BACK YER B*S**RD ILL BREAK YER LEGS :lol:

Hey Rog130, yup vids to come soon - long over due! :roll: I'm looking forward to the M4's, most owners seem pretty happy with em. I can't believe you haven't finished your M3 yet! :p Why go back to 2 x 24v 20ah? Just to get it in the frame? Haha your alarm sounds awsome, put a vid up of it going off! :lol:

We had a group ride here in Perth last weekend, we all had a ball, great weather, great riding and always fun to catchup with the boys :D
The following are some pics from the ride. From memory these are from Spice Rack - formerly Andynogo:

3C3FCF5A-05E1-443E-8966-02FD6A5DAB1F-5471-00000C7B555AC540.jpg

E0D7E72A-0BC6-4889-BA9C-49385E0586E9-5471-00000C7B7C4E5808.jpg

ECA89C72-2A55-49AA-B3CC-2AC77370BD84-5471-00000C7AF66C6AAA.jpg

F5D6B273-5E51-4F7A-8EEC-48AB26DCC7C8-5471-00000C7B28DF849D.jpg

Some pics i took at the Lucky Shag pub by the water:

007.JPG

View attachment 6

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

It was a great day 8)

Just ordered a BMS Battery 2000w charger in 83v / 18a flavour, no more breaking down my 20s pack to 10s for charging yay! :lol:

alloy-shell-2000w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.jpg

Sorry to hear about your dad mate. As you say, even when you know it's coming it sucks when it finally happens.
Nice work on finally pulling the trigger on the gopro. Any main reason you went with the silver ? I've been looking at them myself after I killed my last one and I'm not sure the silver is worth the extra $100. The black has some nifty extra features but it's twice the price.
As best I can see for general use the main difference between the white and silver is higher megapixel and frame rate for still photos. Video quality and FPS seems exactly the same. I've never used the photo mode so for me atleast it seems like the the white is probably a good option. Almost identical to the hero2 but smaller, lighter and cheaper so you'd be mad to buy H2 now.

Cheers Jay :)

Mate i did like the idea of the better still shots but as you say, everything is the same as the white edition really.
The black would be nice but yikes, too dear for my budget :lol:
Yeah theres no point in getting a H2 now, not unless you find one at a steal of a price. I had a look but the H2 prices are still fairly up there so it was a no brainer to pay a little extra for the 3 :D

My Hope M3's turned up a few days ago, got 'em mounted, now just gotta bleed 'em due to shortening the front hose and disconecting the rear hose to feed it through the frame. I changed the pedals to raw silver, the other ones were a bit bright for my liking (and bordering too close to pink too lol).

The bike just ticked over 300km so i gave it a bit of a clean to get the salt and sand off it... So far so good with the bike, its proven to be quite reliable and reasonably economical considering its seeing peaks of around 5500w. I expect the peak figures will go up slightly when the pack is upgraded from 10ah to 15ah, i found this with the cyclone bike, less voltage sag under load i think. 6kw would be a nice round figure :wink:

View attachment 5

004.JPG

008.JPG

014.JPG

View attachment 1

021.JPG

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but what material did you make your dropouts from? Also do you know what your final frame weight (just main triangle and swingarm) was? I'm starting to plan a new build ;)

Back