interesting tech

jlustig83

10 W
http://i.green.autoblog.com/2011/03/23/new-battery-technology-electric-vehicles-recharge-minutes/

I wonder how many cycles a nimh battery would have with this technology?

Dunno but why'd you want to use nimh anyways?
Spendy, heavy, very toxic, memory effect, etc :/

I'd like to see it applied to lifepo4. Then you can have your cake ( safety ) and eat it too ( ludicrous discharge/charge rates ).

neptronix said:
Dunno but why'd you want to use nimh anyways?
Spendy, heavy, very toxic, memory effect, etc :/

I'd like to see it applied to lifepo4. Then you can have your cake ( safety ) and eat it too ( ludicrous discharge/charge rates ).

I dont know I was just curious if the cycle life might go up with this tech on a nimh. Do you need a bms with nimh in big packs?

Its just unbelievable that one nimh battery with 3800 miliamp or 3.8 amp hour could discharge at 1000c. That would be 3,800 amps if im not mistaken :shock:
And will that battery get warm or hot at 200c or 500c :?: There just way to many unanswered questions with there claims of such high c rates. I dont know what to think, lol.

I have no solid answer on whether it would apply to nimh.. but..

I know that batteries create heat when they are being pushed. A constant 7C draw on my 20C lipos makes em warm. But 3C draw on those lipos resulted in no heat ( and lower voltage sag too ).

It would take a mega load on a 100C+ battery to get it warm!
That heat is a result of the battery basically acting like a resistor ( hence the term internal resistance ) and converting some energy into heat.

That C rating is derived from the internal resistance..

Pardon my non-scientific way of explaining this, but does it make sense?

Ok i understand it a little better now. I hope this tech is in every battery in the future. There will be alot of records broke at the drag strip if those c rates come true :)

Well, look at what the nanotech application has done for lithium polymer already.

HK states an 'up to 15C' charge rate which prolly means 10C :) .. but that's still charging the entire battery to full in just a bit over 6 minutes at that rate. And discharge is at 45C-90C.. :shock:

The tech is already available in the hobby world. I believe it will trickle down into electric cars.

I dont think they have developed the power supply ( or cables) that could recharge a 50kWhr pack (Tesla) at 400C ..
.. that would need to be 53,000 Amps at 375 Volts .. :shock:
you would have to plug in direct at the power station !

Someone on ABG mentioned using a supercapacitor to buffer the load and regenerate a reserve, or a huuuge battery...

But yeah, if you had a quick charge EV charging station running all day, you would practically need to have it butted up against a power station.

Mini-nuke plants anyone? :p

Ya, i have some 30 to 50c 6ah nano techs that can do 300a bursts. Just think of the same battery at 400c would = 2400a.
25v x 2400a = 60,000watts 60,000w / 750w = 80 hp but good luck finding a controller to handle that :)

Back