Introducing the eChopper

Sunder

10 MW
Echopper-W.jpg

An electric bike made by TV’s American Choppers fame will be unveiled in Sydney today.

The feuding Teutul family of the TV show have built the Siemens-powered eChopper that will be a highlight of the Pacific2012 Maritime Exposition at the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre.

While electric cars are only just starting to hit the market, electric scooters and bikes have been around for a few years, some of which are faster than an Enzo Ferrari.

The eChopper is one of three built by the famed Orange County Choppers of New York. It uses the same technology found in submarines and naval ships. The eChopper has a top speed of 160km/h, range of 100km and the rotor blades on its wheels are designed to mirror wind and gas turbine blades.

Siemens engaged with OCC to demonstrate their green technology credentials, including power electronics and battery management systems, says Siemens Australia VP David Keenan. The technology is suitable for high-performance motors or trains for the mobility industry, he says.

"Siemens eChopper reinforces our Picture the Future of Mobility research, in that electric technology is a viable and sustainable fuel source for commercial ships and naval vessels providing defence, naval and maritime industries with significant productivity benefits and financial advantages,'' he says.

Presumably all that white bodywork is just waiting for a tribal tattoo paint job. Or maybe a scroll with ‘death before diesel’.
eChopper

Code:
Top speed: 160km/h
Range: 100km
Dimensions: 2800 x 1200 x 1000 mm (LxWxH)
Total weight: 318kg
Battery: DieHard AGM, 72 V
Brakes: hydraulic discs
Tyres: 120/70 H21, 300/35 VR18
Lighting: LED lamps from Osram Sylvania (subsidiary of Siemens)

Sorry to be negative but it weighs WAY to much doesn't go fast or far enough and likely costs way to much. Oops, I forgot it's white. Not to useful around here for all the reasons stated. Really nice in the living room as a conversation piece though. What is AGM?? :shock: Sounds kind of scary.

AGM = absorbed glass mat. A type of sealed lead acid.

Even if it was lipo, I'd say its a pretty poor bike... Though 160km/h not fast enough? 100km not far enough? Gee, tough critics around here.

There is one thing that this bike has that nobody here could match - It's road registerable.

Sunder said:

Even if it was lipo, I'd say its a pretty poor bike... Though 160km/h not fast enough? 100km not far enough? Gee, tough critics around here.

There is one thing that this bike has that nobody here could match - It's road registerable.

Not So

Attachments

• 103_2871_S.jpg
    103_2871_S.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,088
markcycle said:
Sunder said:

Not So

Not so what? :?:

Are you saying you made a motorcycle that could be road registered? Here in Australia, you'd need to supply 6 of them for destructive testing before you can road register a newly designed vehicle.

If the range is set at max speed, [ie,] 100 K, at 160 kph, which I doubt, that would be fine for me. I suspect however, that the max range is at a much lower velocity. I just hope it isn't at some rediculously slow rate like 35 kph or something. The styling is nice, but barely rates chopper creds. The forks aren't long enough. An ordinary design from the boys in NY. Still nice to see they did it though. Thanks for the post! I really enjoyed the sport bike pics, but I can't ride a bike like that, so I'll stick to choppers. Those batteries are the same type as the Optima car batteries, I think. A little color would have been nice.
Brian L.

Guys, guys, i dont think you understand. It says "same energy as submarines and naval ships"

Soo, clearly thats not lead. It's nuclear.

Back