Is Charging via Fossil-fuelled power station still eco.

I've been having a discussion with my brother about whether running a ev which is charged from fossil-fuelled power-station juice is still ecologically sound. This document from Tesla (not an unbiased source, but refutable) gives the maths that you need to decide the issue:
http://www.veva.bc.ca/wtw/Tesla_20060719.pdf

Paul,

I've not read all through Tesla's paper, but I think it is addressed by David Mackay at http://www.withouthotair.com.

Regardless of fine issues about overall efficiency, burning the fossil fuel at the power station rather than in the vehicle has to be better because:

You pay less tax on it
The scope for carbon capture schemes is greater
The combustion can be arranged to produce fewer harmful noxious emissions (other than CO2)
It increases demand for electricity rather than demand for fossil fuel.

The last one is important, because it facilitates the introduction of renewables. Even if today its a choice of 1 gallon of oil in the power station or 1gallon in the vehicle, burning it in the vehicle ensures it will stay that way. Burning it in the power station means it could be different tomorrow.

Nick

Some excellent points, TIberius, now are you going to win the Tours de Presteigne again this year? :D

Let us not forget the other factor, that often an EV is built to be more efficient than typical gasoline vehicles. They may be closer when comparing two actual vehicles, one gas the other electric, such as two Geo's or VW's. But the reality is that a typical EV is still a very light gasoline car converted. And the typical gasoline vehicle is an SUV weighing three times more. This is definitely true in the US anyway.

So bottom line is the 2000 pound vehicle, regardless of the type of motor is a lot more eco than the 6000 pound one.

If you want to really be eco though, it's hard to beat electric motorcycles and bicycles. My bikes 1 kwh per day to travel 30 miles is pretty eco, and CHEAP. :mrgreen: My electric source happens to be nuclear too.

Back