is cruise control worth hooking up?

recumbent

100 kW
I have one of Pauls Mac motor kits and it has CC wires and a switch to shut it down if I want to.

Have any of you tried it, then never used it? Or the other way around, and use it all the time.

What's the proper procedure?

Cruise control is the bomb! Can't live without it. I use it non stop even if i am going to stop in 200 meters. It is great when your covering great distances. I put it on cruise and focus on enjoying the ride.

+1 on its da bomb

When you use cruise control I would recommend to use ebrakes. Even though a twist of the throttle or a touch of the cruise button negates the function. In an emergency you don't think to do this and you have to fight the motor to stop. It's quite alarming when this happens

The switch to disable the controller is handy to. Easier than disconnecting the batteries in my case to temporarily disable the bike. Saves some wear on the connectors

It depends on how the CC works on that controller. If it's like the one on a little Grin 6FET I have, it's pretty annoying, cuz it randomly speeds up and slows down, not based on terrain or power usage/etc., and it isn't consistent in how long it will take to engage (regardless of method to hold the throttle voltage to a certain level to make the CC work). It is nice that it will disengage from either brake lever or moving hte throttle back up again after letting go once CC is engaged, but that's about it.

I found that with some controllers it's easier to just set up your HB grip or shifter so it frictions against the throttle, and "sticks" in position once you set where you want it. Depends on your preference. This will still disengage with ebrake, and reengage at the same point if you don't move the throttle while stopped. Harder to set up to work like this on a full-grip twist throttle, really easy to do on a thumb throttle or half-grip.

But either way--CC is really nice to have if you ride any kind of distance and there aren't many traffic controls or other reasons to change speed or stop.

If it's like the one on a little Grin 6FET I have, it's pretty annoying,
Pauls controller is not like that. What you are talking about is the Grin/Lyen controller that when you hold the throttle steady for 5-10 seconds (depending on how it is programmed) it engages. Pauls controller is momentary push button On/Off works awesome.
I agree about the Grin/Lyen it is annoying when it engages and you are not given a warning.

I am going to DIY my own cruise control with a Arduino (I am not going to bother with a cycle analyst, rather roll my own system), I was thinking of mounting a red button on the handlebars to turn it on and off.
Hopefully, I will be able to press the button quickly enough in an emergency, what you guys think? The motor/esc has a on/off button too near the throttle.

Hub motor kit did come with some brakes that have a micro switch cut off but I never bothered fitting them since I have a thumb throttle with a return spring and I am not sure if they will fit my mechanical disc brakes.

Okay, I'm going to hook it up with the supplyed momentary button and kill switch. This is my forth build, yet never installed a cruise control. Thanks, I already have one kill switch on my battery box, maybe another on the handlebar also.

Cc with the near silent drive of an ebike makes for one mystical sensation like you are on a magic carpet putting in no effort.

Love cc for those long stretches of no stops. Cellmans controller/throttle works great

+1 on the friction method vs. switch. I've found it crucial being able to fine tune the fixed speed at all times without having to engage and cancel the CC circuit all the time. Thumb throttle with a zip tie between the body and lever does the trick for me.

I pedal with a pas, so I have no need for it.

It is not unusual for a *rider to be knocked from a bike and have the spinning wheel mess their leg up. Depending how the bike is balanced when laid out, it could be doing an 80s windmill maneuver. Perhaps moving off in to traffic, pedestrians or you. Peoples opinions could shift from you being an innocent cyclist to it being your fault, while law enforcement and the 2nd party's insurance turn against you. Such a facility offers nothing but problems in my personal circumstances.

*motorcycle

friendly1uk said:
I pedal with a pas, so I have no need for it.

It is not unusual for a *rider to be knocked from a bike and have the spinning wheel mess their leg up. Depending how the bike is balanced when laid out, it could be doing an 80s windmill maneuver. Perhaps moving off in to traffic, pedestrians or you. Peoples opinions could shift from you being an innocent cyclist to it being your fault, while law enforcement and the 2nd party's insurance turn against you. Such a facility offers nothing but problems in my personal circumstances.

*motorcycle

That is why I would only use it for boring straight bits of open road with little traffic, its not safe at all in built up areas. Just because its there, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time!

CC is great for long stretches of commute and for that "Magic Carpet" feeling.

Sometimes, I get on the CC, and throw my arms out like I'm Leo riding the Titanic. :mrgreen:

CC is a godsend for anyone that does cross-country. :mrgreen:
In 2011 on my road trip to Cali, mine blew out (button broke off) and I ended up traveling 3 days before I found a Radio Shack that had a replacement part and could install it.

The common Chinese controllers can be made so that you are able to engage the button from 1 to 7 seconds. For me - it's a PITA because the handlebar is already overloaded with ebike stuff, flashlights, computers etc. I purchased a new component that integrates the L/R Signal, Horn, 1-2-3 Current, and also has an extra button which I'm going to use for CC, and free up my Throttle-hand from trying to hold Throttle steady AND depress the CC button.

If ya'll give me a bit of time, I'm certain to come up with a BT-voice activated mind-reading interface for CC ... and soon as finish writing this bit of Excel VB-script with a twist of XAML thrown in :p

Just kidding ... maybe :twisted:
Hands-free, KF

I'm another fan of cruise control. press cruise button and it is on, press again or use the brake to switch off, together with nice little + and - buttons to adjust the speed.
And it's my choice to use or not.

Back