• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Is it possible to convert this 20" alloy wheel to quick release or thru axle?

I've never heard of adapters made for this.
A machine shop with a lathe could produce you some adapters though.

The bearings can be replaced with any other bearings that share the same outer diameter. I can't read the size marking on the bearing seal, so I can't tell you what other bearings might fit.

If I had to guess, it looks like it's already set up for a 10mm through axle.

The photos show that you have a through axle already. What are you trying to accomplish? No-tools removal?

Those bearings look like 6200 size (10x30x9), so you could pop them out and replace with 6903 bearings (17x30x7) and appropriate spacers if that helps do what you want.

Last edited:
Use wing nuts instead of cap nuts on the axle you have. You can have a wing nut on just one side or the other.

🤔 is that enough? I don't think I can apply much torque by hand using wing nuts

The bearings don't need any compression. Whatever holds the wheel in securely is enough.

You could use a naked 10mm quick release axle instead of the through axle, and fasten it with a regular skewer, but the bearings would be supported by a threaded surface instead of a cylindrical surface. Still probably okay.

The bearings don't need any compression. Whatever holds the wheel in securely is enough.

You could use a naked 10mm quick release axle instead of the through axle, and fasten it with a regular skewer, but the bearings would be supported by a threaded surface instead of a cylindrical surface. Still probably okay.
something like this?

1715808278717.png

not a fan of the threaded surface on the bearings 😕

What do you think of this?

What do you think of this?

It's the wrong diameter. Maybe also the wrong length.

Just use a wing nut, it's much easier. Or carry a little wrench in your pocket like somebody who's ready for eventualities.

Back