Quick Release Handlebar? (Alternative to Turtle Neck Quick Release)

IsaacLarsen

100 mW
Hi! I'm looking for an alternative to the discontinued Turtle Neck Quick Release stem.

1715808944856.png

Basically, I need a way to quickly remove the handlebar without tools.

I'm very curious about the motivation for this? Wouldn't brake cables and wires and stuff get in the way even if the stem could be easily removed? Anyway sorry I can't actually help, I totally understand the frustration of finding that elusive niche product though. Best of luck.

I'm very curious about the motivation for this? Wouldn't brake cables and wires and stuff get in the way even if the stem could be easily removed? Anyway sorry I can't actually help, I totally understand the frustration of finding that elusive niche product though. Best of luck.
I'm trying to fit a foldable fat bike into a tesla model 3 trunk. I'm having the same problem the guy in this video has:

This is my bike:

1715818980055.png
I can confirm it fits if I remove the handlebar.

I also managed to make it fit without removing the handlebar by removing the pedals and front wheel so I'm planning on using quick release pedals and adding a quick release axle to the front wheel (check out my other thread).

However, my plan is to replace the original handlebar with a bmx style one like this one:

1715819795149.png

At that point I don't think removing the pedals and front wheel will be enough. The ideal solution would be the turtle neck qr stem. Otherwise I might have to try something like this:

Revelo_THINstem_animation_480.gif

Attachments

• 1715820231470.png
    1715820231470.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, this is the second question I've seen from the OP requesting a tools-free solution to a problem that someone should only have if they're familiar with using tools.

EDIT:
Oh, Tesla driver. Feckless I guess.

For my purposes of locking a bike in a cage at mass transit stations, I've always been able to get away with just a stem that folds down, then I turn my wheels 90 degrees to get the bars parallel to the frame:

That said, I've had folding bikes with a stem that folds down diagonally from the bottom, so the bars are flat against the wheel without turning it. Also had a lever at the top so the bars can spin so your brake levers can rotate as needed too.

Yeah, this is the second question I've seen from the OP requesting a tools-free solution to a problem that someone should only have if they're familiar with using tools.
I am familiar with tools. I used to install automated garage doors for a living. I know how to unscrew a bolt. Like I said, I’m looking for an EASY and FAST way to do this. I have to fold the bike, remove the battery, remove the bags, remove the seat, remove the pedals, remove the front wheel, remove the handlebar. I don’t want to pull out the tool case and disassemble the entire bike every time. I’m trying to optimize this process as much as possible.

Also, what are you talking about? The pros use thru axles, does that mean they don't know how to use tools?

EDIT:
Oh, Tesla driver. Feckless I guess.
WOW!
You are right! A lot has changed since I got the tesla a month ago. I have completely forgotten how to use any tool. I used to be able to do simple maintenance work on the house and the car, now the only thing I know how to use is my smartphone. Speaking of smartphones, since I got the tesla I have forgotten how to use an android. I had to switch to apple, I even replaced all my PCs with macs. My tastes have also changed. I used to like bbq but since I have the tesla I have become vegan and only eat organic fruit and vegetables. I stopped working out and joined yoga and I also dyed my hair blue. My salary has increased 10x and every time I drive I feel an inflated sense of superiority over everyone else.

Last edited:
That said, I've had folding bikes with a stem that folds down diagonally from the bottom, so the bars are flat against the wheel without turning it. Also had a lever at the top so the bars can spin so your brake levers can rotate as needed too.
there's this option

but I don't think it will fit even with that folding mechanism

I did some experimenting and it looks like I can load it from the back doors if I remove the seat cuscion.

20240510_181747 - dimensioni grandi.jpegIMG-20240510-WA0005.jpeg

I would prefer to have a removable handlebar though.

While not the design intent, the Satori HEADSUP-ET extension can be loosened enough to allow the bar and stem be lifted off. There are some loose parts that would have to be looked after, but no tools are required.

I have one on one of my minivelo builds:

2020 Velo Orange Neutrino minivelo, Bafang BBS02 and CYC Photon, Shimano Alfine 8 IGH

I transport these minivelo builds across the car backseat, turning the bars 90 degrees and removing the QR pedals.

Last edited:
I bought a bike for my wife with foldable stem. Surprisingly I find it very useful.

While not the design intent, the Satori HEADSUP-ET extension can be loosened enough to allow the bar and stem be lifted off. There are some loose parts that would have to be looked after, but no tools are required.

I have one on one of my minivelo builds:

2020 Velo Orange Neutrino minivelo, Bafang BBS02 and CYC Photon, Shimano Alfine 8 IGH

I transport these minivelo builds across the car backseat, turning the bars 90 degrees and removing the QR pedals.
this looks promissing, thank you sir!

I presume you've already worked out tools-free ways to stow your e-skateboard on your e-bike, and your Tesla on your flat bed truck.

Honestly though, if you knew you wanted a dinghy for your car, why did you get a fat tire bastard bike instead of an actually compact folding model? Those not-good-at-anything fatty bikes are made to fold so they can be shipped to you fully assembled in a huge box, not so they can do folding bike things. They're not even small when they're folded.

I'll throw out one other idea - not tool-less, but requiring just one or possibly two hex wrenches.

Presuming your bike has a 1 1/8 threadless stem, install a ridgeless 1 1/8 (28.6mm) seat post clamp in place of the spacer stack that most bikes have. The clamp will maintain the headset bearing tension and keep the fork in place, and allow you to loosen and lift off the bars, stem, and cap.

"Ridgeless" refers to the little ridge some (but not all) seat post clamps have that keeps the clamp from sliding down from the top of the seat tube.

Last edited:
I tried one of these out - a couple problems:
  1. on the first and only ride, it bent at the hinge when I applied the brakes and my body weight shifted onto the bars
  2. the hinge mechanisms rob a LOT of bar space

I presume you've already worked out tools-free ways to stow your e-skateboard on your e-bike, and your Tesla on your flat bed truck.

Honestly though, if you knew you wanted a dinghy for your car, why did you get a fat tire bastard bike instead of an actually compact folding model? Those not-good-at-anything fatty bikes are made to fold so they can be shipped to you fully assembled in a huge box, not so they can do folding bike things. They're not even small when they're folded.

OT but here it goes. The TLDR is that I wasn’t planning on getting a tesla and expected the bike to be smaller.

I got the bike before the car. I wanted something comfortable, especially on cobblestone, and foldable because I needed to fit 2 of them in my car’s trunk. I ordered the bike online based on recommendations from a telegram ebike group. The stock suspension is trash but that was expected and I plan to upgrade it, I don’t like the handlebar so I will swap that for a bmx style one. The rest is pretty good. The motor has plenty of power, the range is good enough and it’s built like a tank. Even though it is a foldable bike, it’s pretty rigid. The problem is that it is bigger than I expected. However, this wasn’t an issue for my previous car (hatchback).

I wasn’t planning on getting a Tesla, but I got an opportunity to test-drive one and was sold after putting my foot down. Where I live, a 400hp petrol car will cost you 3000€ per year in taxes. Teslas cost 0€. In the US gas is cheap, where I live it is not. And a 400hp car needs a lot of gas. By comparison, the electricity for the Tesla costs 4 times less per km than gas. The reason I mentioned a 400hp car is because that type of car I could never afford. That was something I could only dream of but now I can actually buy it and I did. The great thing about the Tesla is that you have a lot of power for when you want to have some fun but then it’s also extremely comfortable to ride at slow speeds and in traffic, thanks to the instant torque, one-pedal driving, no gears, no noise, no vibration. I used to hate traffic when driving a manual, but now it doesn’t bother me at all. On top of that, it’s also economical. Range is not a problem. I rarely do more than 150km per day and I charge at home during the night. I basically never use public charging and never have to wait for the car to charge. I didn’t buy a Tesla because I think I’m saving the planet or because I wanna fit in with the cool kids. I bought it because it makes a lot of sense. To tell the truth, I am offended that you judged me based solely on the car I drive. I hope you realize that’s not a cool thing to do.

Anyway, now I’m in this situation and I’m trying to make it work. Once the bike is inside, there is enough room to store 2 of them. The issue is the small trunk opening. It’s frustrating because I only need a couple of cm more. It’s obvious that I could take some tools and tear down the whole thing and then it would fit inside of a Smart car. But I am exploring my options because if I find something like the Turtle neck stem, then it makes a lot more sense to use that.

So the Turtleneck guy sells a product that allows you to both fold and remove the handlebar.

1715879813462.png

But, he doesn't ship to Italy 🙃

I've not ever used them, but I wonder whether a proxy shipping service (like Shippn) could handle shipping one for/to you.

I didn't know about this brand. I had looked around for quite a while for a low-profile folding extension - looks like he offers one:

Shorty BMX Bundle

Last edited:
thanks but I want to use bmx handlebars so it has to be some type of stem
I would suggest cutting down your stock one and slipping in the shortest BMX stem you can find. Or modifying a stem to be really short if you cant find one. Then maybe drilling into the side of the outer sleeve of the stem, and adding a set screw would help with fork alignment and preventing it from pulling out?
I'm in the middle of doing that with my own TooFly ebike since I genuinely dislike the look of the giraffe stem.

I know fabrication is a last resort, but when the bolt on options are either non-existent, or about 1/4 the cost of what you paid for the bike, it starts to make sense.

Back