Is my wheel going to explode?!?!

Listen to John. He and I just had this conversation by phone not 4 days ago. :mrgreen:

As one who has built a couple dozen rims and trued around 100 rims, I can attest to the fact that thin spokes have many advantages. Also, hub motors benefit from thicker spokes whereas mid drive bikes do not. The weight of a hub jars the heck out of the spokes on bumpy terrain. So, 12 gauge may be fine for a hub motor wheel (assuming the rim can handle the spoke tension). I run 14 gauge on my 28,000 watt bikes without problem. Heck, I actually have 15 gauge on one high power bike without a problem. However, that bike is mid drive and has full suspension.

Matt

Todd, since the wheel is already built just look after it and don't worry about it. It's just something to bear in mind for a future wheel build :)

Exactly. just don't over tighten it thinking that will be better, nor run it loose as hell, nor blast over curbs and potholes.

Easy and quick to squeeze pairs of crossed spokes, and find the really loose one you need to snug up. It's not something a shop has to do for you.

When you want a really good wheel, have JRH build you one.

Just a quick update. I've put around 600 miles on this bike and the spokes so far are exactly the same as the day I put the wheel together. I have to admit I'm proud of my first wheel build! :D It will be interesting to see if they loosen up around 1000 miles as someone mentioned.

As a side note, I absolutely love this bike. It's not the fastest ebike I've ever ridden by far but this is the bike I choose every time for long rides on our local paved trails. It's quiet, light(ish) and just the right amount of assist for that kind of riding. I was never a hub motor person, or at least I thought I wasn't, but this bike really changed my mind.

Well, I've got over 12K miles on the first wheel I built using my 1000W hub motor, 12g spokes, and Weinmann DH39 rim. I'm 270lbs, had the bike over 60 mph, airborne, etc., but generally ride under 15mph. I did get one broken spoke at ~10K miles, but have never had one come loose in all those miles. The front wheel with the standard hub also came with 12g spokes and none of them have broken or come loose in the same mileage.

wesnewell said:
Well, I've got over 12K miles on the first wheel I built using my 1000W hub motor, 12g spokes, and Weinmann DH39 rim. I'm 270lbs, had the bike over 60 mph, airborne, etc., but generally ride under 15mph. I did get one broken spoke at ~10K miles, but have never had one come loose in all those miles. The front wheel with the standard hub also came with 12g spokes and none of them have broken or come loose in the same mileage.

Good to hear. I also purchased a Yescom hub motor recently so hopefully I have as good of luck with mine as you have.

Evtodd I have now have two wheel builds. Mine was hard because over size muxus 3,000 motor 20 plus pounds over kill for daily commuter. I build with JR Holmes 13/14 spokes I keep tightening the spokes. As going wot 38mph or braking and hitting potholes and things or just running wild. I replaced spokes ( 5 ) . It was the over tightening of spokes and bending them in to replace and square pot holes at speed plus heavy motor and heavy battery too.

Tighten spokes but don't over tighten and that was part of my problem. Plus pot and holes, oh and speed. Why do you have to go so fast ?

Back