Is this really all I need to make an e-bike?

stmacdonell

100 µW
So, I've been lurking here for a bit and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I've got a 2014 Xtracycle Edgerunner 24D I'm thinking of electrifying. I think if I order these two things that should be enough. Before I put down a bunch of money I'd like to ask the community if everything will work out.

http://lunacycle.com/motors/bafang-mid-drive-and-parts/bafang-bbs02-750w-mid-drive-with-upgraded-3077-controller/

with a 52 tooth sproket because the Edgerunner has 20” wheel in back...

http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/48v-samsung-18650-20ah-ebike-battery/
I was thinking of getting the satiator charger to make my expensive battery last longer...

Any other pieces I'd need? I figure I'll just throw the battery in one of the Xtracycle's bags until I can figure something long term out.

If you want to comment on my choices here's the backstory. I've got a somewhat hilly 7.1 mile commute(each way). Basically, I live and work on hills with a river in between, and I would like to be able get to work quickly some days without feeling like I have to wear spandex to do it (I want to put on office clothes at home sometimes). I like peddling and will continue to do so every time I ride, but I don't need to do what sometimes feels like interval training 10 times a week just to get to work within 40 minutes (lots of surface streets/stops/hills). I think I'll probably take a non-e-bike once or twice a week just for the extra exercise (10 times a week is too much 0 is too few). I expect I'll run a lot of errands with the e-bike as well.

I don't want to go crazy fast as I'm risk averse. I feel like the 750watt/20mph legal limits are probably what I'm comfortable with anyway... but I'd sure like to be able to do close to 20mph uphill if possible.

I'd like to order from lunacycle because based on what I've heard on here, they are in the USA (as am I) which might help if I have an issue.

I decided to go with a middrive kit as I've overloaded an Xtracycle before and messed up the wheel and hub... I'd rather that not happen with an expensive hub motor kit... The bbs02 seemed like the best option price wise. Plus I'd like to stay street legal and it's 750 watts out of the box.

Lunacycle was out of smaller 48v batteries, except for the "high power" ones that I don't think I need and didn't seem much cheaper. I might be hauling loads uphill anyway...

So, did I pick a good kit?

From what you describe as your usage that type of kit should serve you well, get the biggest capacity battery that you can.

Also lunacycle is a good place to get what you need, this is from a satisfied customer.

Looks like a very good plan.

Is that a special price for Satiator if you buy the battery pack? Product page shows $70 more. That’s good discount.

Sounds like you really pedal so 20Ah/1000Wh should provide ample range. Thing is, batteries never, ever, deliver more Wh as they age. Throw in some cool, cold temperatures - over time you’ll be grateful the bigger battery.

Plenty sensible places to stow battery pack on platform like that too.

The plan is so good I wish I had the same.

Very reasonable prices for the best quality diy stuff.
Luna and Em3 should have fairly similar pricing and products I think?
I don't have experience with Luna but have heard good things.

I'd guess about 30mph max with a brisk pace and 52:11 on a 20" wheel, so the 52 should be nice for a 20mph very slow easy cadence.

Specific to your build and situ, why not go with the cheaper, lighter, all around more matched 10ah pack?
http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/48v-samsung-inr18650-25r-10ah-high-power/
Looks like it would have no problem delivering the 25a system current, and should be pleeenty for pedaling 20(-30)mph for 30(-20)mi avg?

See Need Advice in sigline.

Ha dude I just electrified my 2015 Edgerunner with a 500 w BBS02 and 36v Allcell battery. Kit was originally purchased for a commuter bike but plans changed once I saw how the weight of the motor & batt affected it.

Purchased my kit from Lectric cycles so it includes the gearshift sensor whhich I don't believe Luna includes.

Chainring/ my Edgerunner came with a single 42t chainring so that's what I'm using on the BBS. after riding a few times, I think 44 or 46 would be fine- but 52 is probably too large. The weight of the xtra u LS with motor & batts, plus the upright riding position, really sucks down the battery so u making the right choice w 48 v.

My battery is a dolphin type and just barely squeezes in the triangle on the water bottle mounts. S/M size frame. My E also has bosses for a bionix battery but unfortunately they do not match s standard water bottle cage mounting. Plus my batt would have rubbed the chain if mounted on the boom.

Keep updating the thread, like to see what u come up with.

nutspecial said:
Very reasonable prices for the best quality diy stuff.
Luna and Em3 should have fairly similar pricing and products I think?
I don't have experience with Luna but have heard good things.

I'd guess about 30mph max with a brisk pace and 52:11 on a 20" wheel, so the 52 should be nice for a 20mph very slow easy cadence.

Specific to your build and situ, why not go with the cheaper, lighter, all around more matched 10ah pack?
http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/48v-samsung-inr18650-25r-10ah-high-power/
Looks like it would have no problem delivering the 25a system current, and should be pleeenty for pedaling 20(-30)mph for 30(-20)mi avg?

I think prices were pretty close, plus I figured I'd get things sooner with Luna, and I read a few times on here that I might have better luck with them if I ran into a problem (mostly in terms of turn around time, not necessarily helpfulness). I thought about that battery, but I figured double the capacity for 22% more money ($95) didn't sound too bad. On those hot days I might not want to pedal too hard so I'm not too disgusting when I get in (silly social norms), and I might add some extra miles with errands. 10AH seemed like "just enough" If there had been a 15AH in stock I think I would have gone for that. I'm looking for "more than enough." Especially since my understanding of the satiator is that you mostly want to charge to only 80% to get the battery to last a lot longer.

dogman dan said:
The plan is so good I wish I had the same.

Thanks!

Ykick said:
Looks like a very good plan.

Is that a special price for Satiator if you buy the battery pack? Product page shows $70 more. That’s good discount.

Sounds like you really pedal so 20Ah/1000Wh should provide ample range. Thing is, batteries never, ever, deliver more Wh as they age. Throw in some cool, cold temperatures - over time you’ll be grateful the bigger battery.

Plenty sensible places to stow battery pack on platform like that too.

Yes, you get a discount on the Satiator if you buy it with a battery. Honestly, I probably would have purchased a smaller battery without that discount (see above)... So I guess it worked out for them!

Thanks for all your input everyone! I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

allezdude said:
Ha dude I just electrified my 2015 Edgerunner with a 500 w BBS02 and 36v Allcell battery. Kit was originally purchased for a commuter bike but plans changed once I saw how the weight of the motor & batt affected it.

Purchased my kit from Lectric cycles so it includes the gearshift sensor whhich I don't believe Luna includes.

Chainring/ my Edgerunner came with a single 42t chainring so that's what I'm using on the BBS. after riding a few times, I think 44 or 46 would be fine- but 52 is probably too large. The weight of the xtra u LS with motor & batts, plus the upright riding position, really sucks down the battery so u making the right choice w 48 v.

My battery is a dolphin type and just barely squeezes in the triangle on the water bottle mounts. S/M size frame. My E also has bosses for a bionix battery but unfortunately they do not match s standard water bottle cage mounting. Plus my batt would have rubbed the chain if mounted on the boom.

Keep updating the thread, like to see what u come up with.

What a coincidence! I'm glad I checked back before I ordered anything. I'm surprised yours came with a single 42T chainring. I thought stock was 48-38-28 in front (that's what I found online). What are you running in the back? I'm pretty sure mine is 11-34.

I chose 52T basically because right now on pretty mild declines I often feel almost no resistance in the hardest gears at a comfortable cadence. So, I figured I should go up from the 48T I thought I had. I haven't actually verified that I have 48. I'll certainly check when I get home/before I order.

Check BB width. 68mm ideal, 73mm can be done with one lockring.

Check brakes. Looks like discs. You need a means of cutting the motor when using the brakes so you are not braking against it. If hydraulic, reed switch etc if mechanical, use an in line sensor or supplied brake handles with internal hall sensor/reed switch.

Consider reading Mid drive section of endless sphere Wiki.

Are you installing it or are they doing it for you? If your doing it yourself check you have the appropriate tools first.

stmacdonell said:
allezdude said:

What a coincidence! I'm glad I checked back before I ordered anything. I'm surprised yours came with a single 42T chainring. I thought stock was 48-38-28 in front (that's what I found online). What are you running in the back? I'm pretty sure mine is 11-34.

I chose 52T basically because right now on pretty mild declines I often feel almost no resistance in the hardest gears at a comfortable cadence. So, I figured I should go up from the 48T I thought I had. I haven't actually verified that I have 48. I'll certainly check when I get home/before I order.

No the 42t was an add-on (got the spider adapter that lets you use a standard 130 bcd road chainring). Then just used the single 42 ring that came with my bike. Standard mega range casette in rear- must be same as yours.

Forgot to mention about the 2 special BB tools you will need to install the BBS lock rings plus of course the standard bicycle BB tools you will need to remove the stock BB and crank arms. The Lectric cycles kit includes the special BAFANG tools- doesn't look like yours does?

I wound up needing a speedo extension cable- couldn't figure out how to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel- so installed on front instead.

I,skipped the kit brake levers with the motor shutoff and just kept the stock levers since they are so much nicer and no wires. Takes a little adjustment to your riding habits. It's living dangerously! Plus didn't install the throttle- it's a bicycle not a moped- ya gotta pedal the thing :D clipped the brake and throttle wires at the harness.

Good luck man!

allezdude said:
stmacdonell said:
allezdude said:
I,skipped the kit brake levers with the motor shutoff and just kept the stock levers since they are so much nicer and no wires. Takes a little adjustment to your riding habits. It's living dangerously! Plus didn't install the throttle- it's a bicycle not a moped- ya gotta pedal the thing :D clipped the brake and throttle wires at the harness.
Good luck man!

Careful with running the BBS without brake sensors. I did the same thing after I got it, worked fine. But then after a couple of months I had an incident where the motor was engaged with no pedaling and throttle off. I was pretty close to a busy street and it could have ended badly (took me way too long to figure out what was going on as I was going downhill on gravel, so I didn't connect the slipping with the motor spinning). Had to reach for the off switch on the battery to fix it, and everything was fine when I turned it back on.

After that, I installed hidden wire sensors on my brakes. I've had the BBS get into this state a couple of times since then, but it's no problem if the brake sensors are connected, since the panic response (BRAKE!) actually fixes it.

Got my battery and accessories from Luna, couldn't be happier. I got my controller from em3ev and a leafbike motor and wasn't sure how it'd come together. Sure enough, installing the motor was a breeze, the battery from Luna was a tight fit in the triangle but it works and the controller phase wires color matched my motor. I powered it up and hit the throttle, hell yeah this thing takes off! Eric and Mark from Luna were super helpful via email AND they called me when my stuff shipped. Best customer service I've experienced in a long time.

Back