• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Is this setup possible?

One brushless motor controller will only run a single brushless motor. There are isolated examples of "dual motor" controllers that are really two controllers in one case, but Phaserunner isn't one of them.

I'll reiterate the question: what are you trying to accomplish?

One brushless motor controller will only run a single brushless motor. There are isolated examples of "dual motor" controllers that are really two controllers in one case, but Phaserunner isn't one of them.

I'll reiterate the question: what are you trying to accomplish?
I'm sorry I don't understand what you're trying to ask. Could you please give me some examples of controllers that are designed to handle dual motors?

2x 52v battery -> battery blender -> 1x phaserunner -> 2x display + bbshd and 750w geared hub -> 1x throttle

No. You need a separate controller to drive two motors. Even if they are identical. The only way it could work is if both motors are spinning at the exact same RPM ( physically locked to each other, with phases aligned )

Last edited:
Most brushless DC traction motors have some sort of shaft position sensing system so the controller knows what set of coils to send voltage to.
Tires to the ground force the motors to need two controllers.
Two controllers operated from one throttle is feasible.

Most brushless DC traction motors have some sort of shaft position sensing system so the controller knows what set of coils to send voltage to.
Tires to the ground force the motors to need two controllers.
Two controllers operated from one throttle is feasible.
It's it possible for me to do a battery blender to 2 controllers?

Yeah even if you linked the motors by chain, the small amount of deformation of the chain under power would be enough to throw the hall sensors off.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're trying to ask. Could you please give me some examples of controllers that are designed to handle dual motors?
There are models that drive dual motors but I suspect they have two controllers houses in a single case with certain peripherals shared (battery, throttle, etc.). I provided a link to one on a thread a while back, but you can google to find them.

I must be missing something because the op wants to run a BBSHD and a geared hub motor. So it looks to me that he is only looking to share the throttle and batteries between the two motors.

Or has the original controller been removed from the BBSHD?

I must be missing something because the op wants to run a BBSHD and a geared hub motor. So it looks to me that he is only looking to share the throttle and batteries between the two motors.

Or has the original controller been removed from the BBSHD?
I have the original bbshd controller and would use it if I can find a way to run 2 controllers from a battery blender, but so far I have only seen examples of a single controller being run off a blender.

Ariel Rider Grizzly runs 2 controllers off two batteries and one throttle, but the controllers are identical and so are the motors.

Are you going to mount the hub motor on the front or rear?

Last edited:
Two batteries blended to supply two motors simultaneously isn’t a problem. The motors will just see them as one big battery. You should be more concerned with how the thing will ride using a hub motor, presumably in the front and a mid drive motor both trying to spin the front and rear wheels at different speeds.

It will make for an interesting ride.

Two batteries blended to supply two motors simultaneously isn’t a problem. The motors will just see them as one big battery. You should be more concerned with how the thing will ride using a hub motor, presumably in the front and a mid drive motor trying to spin the front and rear wheels at different speeds.

It will make for an interesting ride.
I'm running the hub on the rear. The idea is to create a higher wattage system without diminishing returns on power to speed ratio and less strain on the drivetrain. But knowing I can run 2 controllers off the blender is really the info I was looking for thank you! I assume it's as simple as using a splitter cable from the blender to both controllers?

Similar done here on an Engwe M20, but he is using two throttles:

I have the original bbshd controller and would use it if I can find a way to run 2 controllers from a battery blender, but so far I have only seen examples of a single controller being run off a blender.
You can effectively skip the battery blender here because you'd already be splitting the motor current between two batteries evenly with two controllers.

A battery blender couldn't do it better!

You can effectively skip the battery blender here because you'd already be splitting the motor current between two batteries evenly with two controllers.

A battery blender couldn't do it better!
Well in terms of current yes, but motor efficiency changes with gear ratios on a mid-drive as well as the motors being rated for different wattages so there are discrepancies to be evened out. Also the elimination of voltage sag.

Well in terms of current yes, but motor efficiency changes with gear ratios on a mid-drive as well as the motors being rated for different wattages so there are discrepancies to be evened out. Also the elimination of voltage sag.

Well, this is the case if you run batteries which are far too weak for the application - not a good choice to begin with.
If you have big ( or very high power ) batteries, then you won't have this issue.

Consider that during cruise, since the motors are splitting the load, the current is automatically split for you across the two batteries; this won't give you a 50/50 split of power unless you are in the right gear, but it's going to be close enough to be effective.

It links 2 batteries together and cycles their usage depending on which has the highest voltage. It eliminates voltage sag and can extend range by around 25%.
I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a unicorn to me. Two batteries in parallel will automatically cut back on sag. Nothing can extend the range of a specific battery other than cutting back on the throttle (load).

Do you have a like to this 'extender'. It's probably just a fancy terminal block.

I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a unicorn to me. Two batteries in parallel will automatically cut back on sag. Nothing can extend the range of a specific battery other than cutting back on the throttle (load).

Do you have a like to this 'extender'. It's probably just a fancy terminal block.

A battery blender typically measures the voltage of each battery with a shunt and disables current from flowing into the weaker battery via a MOSFET. Some controllers are actually incompatible with some cheaper battery blenders and throw an overvoltage error when used with them because they expect to be able to dump current back into the battery in some situations (non-clutched motor when running as a generator, etc.). More expensive battery blenders also allow charging, though, which doubles the number of FETs needed.

If your two batteries are the same voltage and capacity, typically better to just parallel them, making sure they are exactly the same voltage when you do.

Back