I've been invited to help in the design of cop ebikes...?!

Make sure their bikes have a radio operated "slo-mo" mode you can activate from your CA!

Be sure to demonstrate the legal max power in your area. Preferably with a slow winding motor as well. :wink:

Just what we need, cops on cromotors chasing you down for having one.

In reality though, they'd be chasing the real problems down. Just joking here. I've thought that a 9c 2810 on 72v might be about ideal for cops. Quick off the line, able to chase down a strong pedaler, but overheating a tad slower than a 2807.

use a proper torque throttle controller... you want to have the bike give a good impression and not appear
to be like a barely broken in horse...

Cops are probably interested in a certain amount of range, chose the power level such that this can be achieved.
They're not interested in a 3 mile range 50mph bike...

Consumption is speed dependent, not power limit dependent.

A design of such a machine begins with an understanding of the performance requirements. If you don't have that, then you need to build for max performance and have a variety of presets tested and saved in a laptop to upload to the bike for them to try out different performance levels.

It's up to you in your area. Where I live I wouldn't want the police to know the true power and speed of my bikes. I'd tell them to buy a good commercial ebike on the local market, and that I can boost it to double the power if they like.

Cops will need a three speed switch at a minimum, and idealy a chain drive through the gears type bike.

One minuite they will want to ride at a near trackstand through a crowd at the octoberfest or state fair, followed seconds later by needing nearly 40 mph to catch that tweaker.

Range and or at least quick changes for the battery will also be a prime need. They'll need more than 30 min of ride time.

I think a perfect police bicycle would be something along the lines of a regular police bike, with a Kepler or Adrian_sm friction drive, and about 5 amp hours of battery in the water bottle holder.

Bicycle police are there to patrol at slow speeds, on and off main roads, and when trouble strikes - use radio to call it in or possibly give chase. They can patrol all day on pedal power, and have the electrics for that once-in-a while purse snatcher...

For the police, the silence of a hub motor can't be beat. A through the gears motor might be more efficent for slow speeds around crowds, but the ability for them to blend in and approach a suspect without alerting them would likely be of more benifit.

I would make it the legal limit for your area.

Drunkskunk said:
I would make it the legal limit for your area.

:idea: or give them 12kw and tell them it's actually 750W or whatever the legal limit is. Big power can work if they have a nice soft start.

All im going to say is get a v3 CA.... if an infineon is a 3/10 for throttle response and a sevcon is 10/10. Then a v3 puts an infineon at a 6 or 7. It makes a high powered infineon setup very rideable at full power.

First thing police will be looking for is reliability.
Why do you think they still roll in 30 year old design Crown Vics?
At least where I live.
Second, they are looking for bullet-proof technology, in both senses.
I dont think they wanna ride on a box of dynamite, which is what most of us doing.

Haha I didn't expect so many responses.

There will be some ebike manufacturers at the workshop and also GM EV-1 folks. I'm there I think to demonstrate what you CAN do with an ebike if you really wanted. THen again, I don't know that much yet. I can always change the shunt value in the CA so 6kW looks like 750W. Or just tell them which power level they would like to have demoed (and that I use high power for recreational offroad purposes and overspec for reliability, which is true).

But we're talking big name people at this workshop. I'm only invited because I have reputation as ebike guy with purdue EV club (whatever you want to call that). I hope I am going (still in question) because it's a great opportunity for me to meet people in my area who work with electric bikes. Dream job. I didn't even know there was an ebike manufacturer 1 hour away from me.

I'm in this video.. with the cromotor. If you are interested it's near the end

[youtube]02lLEBMop8Q[/youtube]

hillzofvalp said:
....Muah Muah Muah.. Going to demo the cromotor. Which Power level should I show?
I would show what you have but they have special needs like a donut and coffee cup holder!

dont do it . they are just trying to make a short list of troublemakers in the area. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

can u imagine a cop trying to solder a fet?

joking aside its cool that you have such an EV community so close by to tap into. Although the ebike community is much much better than the electric car community ive found. :mrgreen:

What city are the cops looking at ebikes?

I always wanted cops to chase me on my ebike, I guess it will be more interesting if they had ebikes of their own.

I don't know much on the details, but this appears to be a nationwide effort to design an ebike primarily for law enforcement. I feel I shouldn't go into too much here right now. .but maybe next weekend.

I'm getting the image that they want to make essentially replacement vehicles for a lot of urban environements. I don't think a 35mph, 3kW ebike is out of the question but that's just a hypothesis. Cops carry around a lot of shit on their bikes so I'm sure weight and battery load is a stressed design constraint

hydro-one said:
joking aside its cool that you have such an EV community so close by to tap into. Although the ebike community is much much better than the electric car community ive found. :mrgreen:

I'm really actually quite surprised what is around. I hope this is great opportunity for me to network and find a job I'd actually love to do.

UK cops use Wisper bikes see:

http://www.wisperbikes.com/

and :

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/11840-sussex-police-expand-wisper-fleet.html

My guess is that they're not going to want something quite as powerful as a cromotor. I mean, I don't think their intent is to pull-over cars with a bicycle anyway :)

Fun project though.

LSBW said:
First thing police will be looking for is reliability.
Why do you think they still roll in 30 year old design Crown Vics?
At least where I live.
Second, they are looking for bullet-proof technology, in both senses.
I dont think they wanna ride on a box of dynamite, which is what most of us doing.

Ebike C.A.
Justin would be the guy!

Back