KMX Cobra

Ypedal said:
heh heh... yeah.. burnout on the way... ( if there is anything left of that poor hookworm by the time i do it ) .. it's a series of events.. i want to open the motor, drill air cooling holes.. replace phase wires for thicker stuff.. add the doctorbass torque arms ( got the arms, and the DP420 already ) .. so i dont want to burn the tire off until i'm ready and have time to do all those things in one day.

On a side note, the trike is performing like a champ, putting smiles on test riders faces that you could not wipe off with a 10 lb hammer... just so much fun.. and Sandy LOVES the thing.. i cant say ' bike ride ' out loud in the house without starting a barking event..

hang tight.. this weekend should be the one.

lol make sure you get some vid of the dog going nutts for a bike ride too!

Holey Crap that's impressive.

I so much want a trike now after watching yourself and methods having so much fun.

I even want to enclose the thing somehow.. arghh.. need more money.

Ah haaa Great! :twisted:

I have made burn out on my KMX but never tried until to blow the tire... I see what it look like now so i dont need to do it :wink:

No kidding, i have bought like 6x 20" tires from now just to have fun with drifting and i know it's tire consuming :lol:

Nice video Ypedal.

Now the next step for you is trying it with a 16" motocross tire and ski on the front... IN THE SNOW on the coming winter :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You'll love it!

One word..... "NICE" :)

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

That tire made more smoke than i expected, it was WELL worn , gone from one bike to another, and 6000 kms + ... i was not ever going to install it on another bike no matter what.. so may as well finish it off proper. :twisted:

I had to put my left hand behind my neck to protect myself from flying molten rubber, was covered in it and had a trail of smoke 15ft in a line behind the trike lol.. ( video does not show it well but it was cool as hell ! )

kmx-mod2.JPG

I was waiting for this, since one thing leads to another,

new tire,
means new motor bearings ( or at least opening it up for a checkup ) ..
means I may as well drill holes for cool air
means i may as well paint the covers.
with drilled covers, i can " UP " the power..
so time to finally install the Doctorbass torque-arms

so yeah..

covers. off.

Secured a huge bolt to my drill press, coverd with a socket the size of the cover hole.. locked the deck and gave myself a semi-formal pattern to dill..
kmx-mod1.JPG

Then made a 2nd pass with the biggest bit i had. ( aprox 1/2 " )

No thanks, i'm just goin to beat the snot out of this thing anyways so no sense in making this show room finish.. i just want it orange..... so orange it is.

Washed it off with rubbing alcohol, and spray on top of old paint.
kmx-mod3.JPG

I speckeled a short spray of black to " kinda " make it look like the frame but .. it's not even close... and I dont care..

still ok..

Attachments

• kmx-mod4.JPG
    kmx-mod4.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 3,189
now.. check this mess out.

crystalyte used some cheap crappy paint to coat the magnets, problem is that at some point it either failed to stick, bubbled off ( from not cleaning the surface right prior to spraying ) or something got loose and started a chain reaction.

getting this stuff off the magnets was a challenge, metal dust stuck to big strong magnets...... turns out 100 psi and an air nozzle works pretty good !.. :p

Sanded all that crap off.. and blew it clean as a whistle.

then gave it a thin coat of this stuff. ( all i had on hand at the moment.. )

Attachments

• kmx-mod6.JPG
    kmx-mod6.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,188
Now.. for the torque arms..

these have been shuffled around the house for the last year while i get motivated to finally put them in.. have built up a healthy layer of oxide.. so using the flat surface of my jig saw and sand paper i buffed it off to a shine..

View attachment 1

Did the same to the frame.. removed all paint past the surface of the torque arm.. then , using gloves, washed both surfaces with solvent, twice, mixed the DP420 and applied it all as quickly as i could .. on a dry day.

End result, coated both arm and frame, set motor into the slot to make sure it would not end up out of alignment... clamped vice-grips to both top ends ( tight, but not INSANE tight to the point all the epoxy would ooze out.. and added extra to the sides..

kmx-mod9.JPG

After an hour, i removed the motor ( to make sure i was not going to glue the motor permanently to the trike :lol: )

And there she be , with new shoe..
kmx-mod10.JPG

I changed both bearings in the motor, one of the old one's was SHOT.. for 5$ each, easy decision. no more play in the motor. ( and no more friction caused by all the red paint/rust metal dust )

what else....

.... that pretty much covers it.. cobra is back on the road..

next step is to order new hubs and spokes so i can lace up 2 more fatties for the front. :twisted:

oh.. and either solder up the shunt.. or USB this thing into delivering more power.. whatever is easier.. i welcome opinions here...

Great Job !..

I see you preserved the CRYSTALYE brand name on the side cover and not drilled thru them :D

I just repaired one of the tab of the left wheel where the axel of the wheel is supported, the solder have cracked and the wheel was loose a bit. that was my real third welding experience. It was probably due to the high stress of the battery weight on the front wheels and last winter torture that caused that.

I agree the solder is not really professional and look novice but i'm sure that will hold alot more than the previous one that was too thin.

DOc

Attachments

• CAM_0015_800x600.jpg
    CAM_0015_800x600.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 3,179
  • P1090266_800x600.jpg
    P1090266_800x600.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,179
Ypedal said:
End result, coated both arm and frame, set motor into the slot to make sure it would not end up out of alignment... clamped vice-grips to both top ends ( tight, but not INSANE tight to the point all the epoxy would ooze out.. and added extra to the sides..

After an hour, i removed the motor ( to make sure i was not going to glue the motor permanently to the trike :lol: )

You bike looks great ypedal, great you installed the torque arms on the inside of the rear drop outs, you must of had to bend the frame a bit or shave the x5 axle down a bit

My x5 fits fairly tight in the oem frame drop outs

Im still thinking if i should put a x54 on my bike for next season or drop my new x6 motor in...

Im thinking about building a entire new frame though, i dont think the original kmx is capable of the crazy power hehe

We will see

Steveo

Happy New Year Gaston!

I see you have the "Can You See Me" Flag. Good choice! If it hasn't already, it will prove invaluable!

Tommy L sends......
mosh.gif

Not much to report yet, i've installed a saddle bag mounting plate ( since you can't wear a back pack on bent ) and taken a few rides this season already around the yard.. ( took it out once in winter, but no traction with the V-rubber tire was not that much fun )

A few more weeks and the weather should be nice enough to bring back the dog trailer and start branding the thing with YPEDAL.COM logo's and business card holders...since this year is the year i actually start marketing to the local community.

I intend to bump up the power x2 , :twisted: , and mount a 2nd 100v 12ah pack to the trailer for a total of 2.5kw long range, full day expeditions.

Sweeeeet! Trailers are awesome to carry loads! My second electric project was the Electric Push Trailer.
Happy Spring! This year it is taking too long for the SNOW to go away. I was in Mexico for a couple of weeks.
Seriously thinking of selling everything and moving there. I had a great experience in a small town setting (Not a Resort).
Temps were stable in these mountains 10C at night and 30C max at 5pm everyday and sun everyday! Perfect Ebike weather everyday :)

John in CR has very similar weather.

How do you like those new Lithium packs Nanotech 4.5?

I'm still using A123 which have been flawless so far. :)

Tommy L sends....\\m//

Ypedal said:
Not much to report yet, i've installed a saddle bag mounting plate ( since you can't wear a back pack on bent ) and taken a few rides this season already around the yard.. ( took it out once in winter, but no traction with the V-rubber tire was not that much fun )

Probably a bit late... ;)

I rode my ICE Sprint this whole winter in up to 20cm of snow and can recomment the Schwalbe Land Cruiser for this task. Unfortunatly the smallest size available is 24".

I'm not running a really high power setup like you, though. The Bafang BPM II at 15s in a 24" wheel had to do. It was tremendous fun and even in fresh snow gave enough traction to speed up to 40km/h. Arriving at work in the morning I was definatly the guy with the broadest grin. :D

Back