Left and right handed disc calipers on recumbent trikes?

Projectitis

100 mW
Hi all,

How are the front disc brakes on the right and left sides of recumbent trikes designed?

Presumably both sides need to be mounted so that they contact the disc in the same place (e.g. The right side can't be mounted at the top of the disc, and the left at the bottom).

Are calipers reversible, or are left/right versions available, or does the cable simply enter/pull from the front on one side and the back on the other?

Cheers,
Peter

The pedicabs I helped design and build have one caliper above the axle and the other below the axle, so both cables point towards the front of the trike.

Ive used a rear + front brake setup on my upright tilting trike, but the mounting was alittle tricky and not symmetric.
But it worked well. I also operated the both calipers with one lever, intended for one of the cailpers. (Hydraulic system)
Also worked well.

However, when planning the replacement bike, an upright tilting quad. I have bought a cheap atv brake system for the front, and consider buying the bengal helix 7,5 with speced hoselengths for the rear.
If I cant use the atv brake, I would ideally have the helix 7,5 all around, but they are costly. So if I can avoid needing to build my own T coupling, and replace hoses myself I will. (Previously I had to buy the hose connections anyway, to weld into t couplings, and they are not free. Typical exorbitant-price parts.)
I will investigate Alan B's comment regarding other mirrored calipers.

P5w1q5bqipzNLBOkrAaeEM2vGkKBjfJwYuo3T3UqVJwJfhNPIdBASS7kPfwYZ4F2ys2BCPjlx2bgVRgoizoNunlJdhuu_kpfwu-r_THPccJoR6JnBVgA7Ye0I1FHyvRZi-TD9Q-JQvr16eAzq-sKh5bvOoPqZwj9d0GDtk7HwDf12SXMSLl-UkSCD0tt0YMKv8UggZcTA4X0kKJkVNjvHCheSkEa8Vl59HAtJHA8X4huj438W8dlbXnVhjBlFAfuQ5kgLbvAI4Bsq6K19g4uMoECCrDNYUJBXv1Fz6jycKJDfluUTDJH2RwAzv4_u-NqHPKr-qUPQGkJPBa-waCpXmYYm5rpBhN0sqp9jI6Totfi0uBtq5SwDWMofZ9sNwk7y7BiPARCccNB2larM6KBFikXcWC5fYv_NrVhsT1FKNxB0yP6EpILoyqaCE5rBWwT8f2cWPz1EyrwQrxum8mKt3tb4gODHEaDZnHMHy1TxQWJbYfZFS3IGzfbBOwSY6_JVcIQ_uAPcKdsjG2ZQRBUS9kHQrPXPWpvZRdIqKp_47T9H7qN63PMThkEZaSjxY90Xp1Gn13pYF_loZF1ebwRhZtDAsZOQovn=w698-h561-no

8CGgQA8RcemTuSIhG64ms1DStBFNESTujd9O7UcqpO7dAlV9PHFNpm2h_GaEOBcKopwJoF0YB-gtRl2M2oNuDpe3Z_xT2mVOV5qvoHSE5ED0-47rN5bypqgwj6jf0tOC_UP_MHautx_1AtiEt2yxlaZtjrH4rR3i1sA7tczfSDLfc3H7ZsYoH1pU2N-DqKwnXWAvfFwDpkllt4z9RkcJNubmXz_uU1sG_vGfmPGEPpxaJV-ERFL77eVg5nKhS3mAwXoF_pfu2sWg1bxcmozylaXm55i2-L5GrrOEvIKAta8kGn_WCl8rHU-pM8Alpx2cOEx8WkLm5yGHpdsCojWoKxwyd5cF21JhfJCLoweG9NilhAail1OWqeZ9JGhUOT9pKkoa9tAGyGB59wFT1k5DDb-glJ3wFqT-B5hJ0zfnDr2vlBW9C8k-k3hwVp-SmmifVE7uck0SvKFb8JwfZZx_izSPAniGiufOpsBaY3dXJWhmMLdGBZhwMg86c0qMwUXtS2EKJ252NxU31l-QFPoDQCnhU21WyUbjWGFV_35eG3lU5xu07g9gyLZRnYdetnK0bqDCHtyMjzvB8fLxAJLlxsLaY01muxyU=w776-h461-no

Thanks everyone, some great info there.
Chalo, Wheazel - did you notice any difference in braking between the two wheels (i.e. brake steer) with the calipers not being in the same place on each wheel?

I think I'll end up going for mirrored calipers if I can find them.

There is a used set of "mirrored" calipers for sale on EBAY at the moment.

Tektro Volans hydraulic Disc brake set. "Mirrored calipers"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331943584453?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Projectitis said:
Thanks everyone, some great info there.
Chalo, Wheazel - did you notice any difference in braking between the two wheels (i.e. brake steer) with the calipers not being in the same place on each wheel?

I think I'll end up going for mirrored calipers if I can find them.

No, absolutely no bad behavior, the calipers don't care where they are, as long as they have the same preconditions to pinch the brakediscs, at the same radius, with the same type pads etc. A hydraulic system is forgiving in this regard as it distributes the pressure evenly.

I was very unsure of the single lever operation would work for twin calipers, as I was effectively halving the oil volume to the calipers by doing this.
But I was surprised that it worked as well as it did. Might be different results with different brakes. I would guess that relations between oil volumes varies in different systems.

Projectitis said:
did you notice any difference in braking between the two wheels (i.e. brake steer) with the calipers not being in the same place on each wheel?

Not at all. We use Avid BB7 cable brakes on a two-cable lever, and unequal braking only comes from getting grease etc. on one of the rotors. No independent wheel brakes are immune to that.

The rotor goes all the way around-- the orientation of the caliper is irrelevant. In the case of some hydraulic calipers, certain orientations might promote the accumulation of air in the cylinder. But with cable brakes there is no such concern.

Back