legal/offroad mode Arduino help needed

meeki

1 mW
Hello i'm Dennis from the netherlands and i have a question about programming a arduino for my ebike 72v 3000watt. First i will explain what i want:

I read a lot in the forum about throttle limiters, intefaces and tamers but i can't find what i really need.
since i don't know how to write a script for the arduino i'm asking my question here.

What are ebike regulations in the netherlands:

- the motor does not exceed 250 watt
- The bike can only have pedal assist to maximum 25 km/h
- throttle can only be used during pedalling or at startup to 6km/h

So this is what i want it doesn't have too be fancy with displays and everything and of course small and cheap :) Thinking about a arduino pro mini or nano that i have lying around.
I do know how to use the arduino but this programming is too high for me.

hall throttle in (1- 4 volt)
Pas sensor in (5 magnet disc)
speed sensor in (speedo sensor)
throttle out to ebike controller (1 - 4 volt adjustable)

legal mode:

When legal mode is activated by 5v on i/o port the bike can only drive 6km/h on the throttle or maximum 25 km/h with pedalling.

Offroad mode:

throttle is passed thru arduino (or around by switch) and does nothing with the signal, pas sensor is deactivated.

if possible i like to adjust these things:

max speed in legal mode and offroad mode ( hard coded or pot)
throttle response (not so aggressive in legal mode)
possibilty to attach current sensor for current limiting (not necessary)
toggle between legal and offroad by giving signal 5v to one of the i/o ports

Hope somebody can help me with this. I think this would be usefull for many european throttle drivers :mrgreen:

Greetings Dennis

I second that, looking for exactly the same solutions for my bike project. I have the same regulations as you do (Norway). best thing i've come up with is using to controllers and a relay to switch between legal and illegal one, but that's extra weight and tons of extra cabling.

same problem then you guys but i am in Switzerland so limited to 500w and 25km/h pedaling and use of throttle up to 6kmh. my only solution for the moment is to take a programmable controller and have it set to pedaling at 25kmh and have the throttle limited to 6kmh and have a hiddden switch that makes go to unlimited for throttle. this dosent solve the 500 w problem but it would be quite complicated for them to see on the spot since i have no display. in addition i will be adding 500w stickers on the controller and motor :D

this thread will give you a good starting point with the core of the programming is already functional http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61004

Thanks for your reply.

@gwhy I read the topic before I asked my question. The code looks good but it doesn't have the pas sensor option, and I really don't know how to implement that..

In the Netherlands EN15194 applies. To be legal, your motor must have a maximum nominal continuous rating of 250W. That means it must be marked by the manufacturer as 250w or it must be listed on a web page or in a catalogue as 250W. You can't use a 500w motor and limit the power and/or speed.

If you use a 250w motor, there's no limit on how much current you push through it. Voltage is limited to 48v.

Off-road switches that you can access while riding are not allowed.

Speedict have a ready-made solution. The speed limit can be enabled by a smartphone, which nobody would be able to detect. You need their optional throttle cable, which converts the Speedicts PWM output to an analogue throttle signal for it to work correctly. I don't know how well it works these days. There were some teething problems when I tried it three years ago.

I know d8veh the only problem with off the shelf solutions is the voltage they can handle. I use 72v and a 3000 watt rear hub. So speedict won't work and the forumscontroller also is limited to 60 volt. I think I have to go for the cycle analyst.

The only problem is the throttle is so responsive that if I barely touch it the front wheel goes sky high. So it has to be a little less responsive or ramp up slower.

About the "legal" switch I was thinking about rfid

Is it possible to switch between presets on the ca with an external button or input from a arduino?

I don't know what pas actually does to be able to help .. my basic understanding of pas is the power to the motor is somehow tied into the speed at which the peddles rotate, Or you can have a torque sensor that measures force on the peddles and this action adjusts the power to the motor, if this is the case then it should be very easy to implement it into the basic code. The only pas sensors i have seen is a disk mounted to the crank with around 8 magnets that pas a hall sensor creating a pulsed output with the crank is turned and the pulses are fast the quicker the crank rotates.

Gwhy the pas won't help to smooth the throttle but it is by law that you have to pedal for using a throttle. If u don't pedal the throttle can only be used as starting aid up to 6km/h (3,7 mp/h) I think I'm gonna use the ca v3 this thing is allready proven (or am I wrong?)

I know it is not complete legal if I use a limiter but it is also better riding on the streets. When riding on pavement it is hard to control the bike because the throttle is so responsive.

Back