li ion charger for lipo

t_tberg

100 W
Can a charger like this http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_37&product_id=153 be used for lipo? It has variable voltage so I could bulk charge a 20s pack most of the time and balance occasionally to preserve the connectors. It is explicitly for li ion but would it charge lipo?

Li ion uses the same voltage specs as RC Lipo. I use Li ion BMS and chargers for bulk charging RC Lipo.

That is a 21S charger and not 20S as you're asking about. You need 84V for 20S full charge. Ask if they can customize the voltage if you need 20S?

Yeah I'll certainly ask, I interpreted the folowing quote from the link to mean that there was a pot to adjust the voltage between 88.2 and 79.8, I guess it only has a switch to choose between these voltages. "Chargers come with a 3 position switch to set output voltage to 88.2V, 86.1V and 79.8V. This enables charging to approx 100%, 90% and 50% SOC" I should read a little more thoroughly before posting :lol: It's nice to hear that it will work, I wasn't sure if lipo required a tapered current at the end of the charge or something like that..

The pots inside should allow at least 4v of adjustability,, likely more. So that should work for a 20s bulk charger.

Ask Paul to adjust it to 20s for you of course.

The current will taper, but I think that is just the cells filling up causing that. I could be wrong about that, but I think they just can't absorb that much current near the top. The difference between the charger voltage and pack voltage is not much by then. I may be full of shit, but I think of it as being like a siphon slowing down as the levels equalize.

I use the similar 14s charger for all my lipo bulk charging, and it's by far my favorite charger. Many charges to 4v, but for longer rides I charge to 4.15v. I turned it down, so I could get away with a more out of balance pack safely.

If I don't plan to use the battery for awhile, I use the half charge setting, then set it aside.

Back