LiPo explosion !!!

Overvoltage?
He lost a car but should be alive and not hurt.. I have a bunch of lipos sitting in my drawer, im serious thinking about realocating thoses.

There are portable fire extinguishers on WOOT.COM today two for ten bucks plus 5 dollar shipping. I wonder If I should get them?
Maybe they wont work on LIPO. I also have those fire Resistant Lipo charging bags that I never use.

http://www.woot.com/

those kind of happenings makes me often to rethink about my hopes about future mobility ....

I mean .... are you sure your highest hope is to have 400x A123 flat pouch cells under your ass
in your future auto? ... Perhaps LiFe are not exploding, flaming or venting, but hey :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No dub petrol is flammable, but chemical energy stored in batteries is kind of weird too ... 8)

I suppose some nice breakthroughs are still needed in this technology to get safe e-autos ... :D

have fun!

ianmcnally2 said:
There are portable fire extinguishers on WOOT.COM today two for ten bucks plus 5 dollar shipping. I wonder If I should get them?
Maybe they wont work on LIPO. I also have those fire Resistant Lipo charging bags that I never use.

http://www.woot.com/

these events happen during overcharging.

myself and others have recommended that people use adequate precautions, including charge control, safe locations in event of failure, and the use of metal or ceramic containers to prevent the fire from escaping to flammable surfaces.

this means you should be charging in a metal case in a non flammable area, and either with alarms for fire or under observation during charging.

the lipo in metal cyclindricals gets hot enuff to ignite flammable materials also so they need to be considered under this regime. pouch type lipo should be in a metal bucket with a bail so that you can at least carry the burning lipo pouches outside to the parking lot of your apartment building. you will be evicted of course, but it will prevent you from being indicted for involuntary manslaughter and arson#2.

for those of you who have never been indicted or in circuit court, you need to consider how much the lawyers and court costs and settlements will be from a fire in your apartment when calculating the money you are saving by charging like you are an adolescent who answers to nobody.

First moron leaves lipo charging in unattended car. Second moron, or maybe the same , stands 3 feet from flaming car waiting for gas tank to explode and send him to moron heaven.

Yea from what I've read that gasoline stuff packs quite a few kWh's in it.. :D

I try to keep my bats on the fireplace when they are not in the shed. Great spot to use for you guys with fireplaces.. Well unless you use the fireplace.

Mine are now stored on the fireplace, IN ammo cans. the ammo cans are drilled, so they will vent hot gas towards the tile wall.

Long as we are on the subject. This was at the race in california this weekend. Accidental connection of the same battery + and - is said to be the cause.

Lipo fire grange.jpg

these threads make me still scared of lipo...even when its just sitting on the bike outside. Even when its not being charged im afraid it will destroy my house, and everything inside. lol

dogman said:
Accidental connection of the same battery + and - is said to be the cause.

Yeah i guess he connected one of the battery of the full charged pack in the wrong polarity in serie with the rest and once he turned the throttle ( draw current), this reversed battery overcharged with the current flowing in the wrong directing ( to charge)... i mean overcharge it above 4.3V

If so, i have to say i really worrie about those who have complicate lipo battery connections to make on every charge...

I recommand to use a battery connector harness with all wires connecting at the same time in the same movement.. i mean a multipin connector... and if you charge i parallel and use in serie... just make a connector on the ebike that include all the loop that will connect automaticly all battery in serie!.. it's a bit more wiring resistance but way less dangerous!

Doc

wow after seeing that i think i will use less lipo and more allcell.

lol do you leave gasoline inside your car in open containers while you are using the cigarette lighter? Lipo is dangerous but gasoline is more dangerous!

Hopelfully, a dead shorted bms pack wold trip the over amp protection.

I was suprised by this one, at the race. Usually a dead shorted lipo will just burn a tab, acting like a fuse.

But as you see in the pic, once you get one going, a good size lipo pack makes a good size fire.

Haste said:
these threads make me still scared of lipo...even when its just sitting on the bike outside. Even when its not being charged im afraid it will destroy my house, and everything inside. lol

I like it, keep the faint of heart away from it, and the real badasses running it. :twisted:

Jason27 said:
wow after seeing that i think i will use less lipo and more allcell.

I assume you are doing advertisement for these cells: http://www.chicagoelectricbicycles.com/Batteries.html
"Maximum discharge current 20A continuous
Maximum discharge spike 25A for < 2 seconds "

While NMC has a lot going for it, 20a discharge isn't gonna cut it for a lot of folks here.

Haste said:
Can happen.

"The pack was just sitting there undisturbed, and not connected to anything...."

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27494

dogman said:
Hopelfully, a dead shorted bms pack wold trip the over amp protection.

I was suprised by this one, at the race. Usually a dead shorted lipo will just burn a tab, acting like a fuse.

But as you see in the pic, once you get one going, a good size lipo pack makes a good size fire.

I'm guessing that the internal resistance of these cells at the race was high enough that instead of generating enough current to instantly burn the tabs out, or the connectors, or the wires it was only enough current to heat everything up, real quick, so that the electrolyte could start vaporizing and burning.

The first picture was taken no more than 10 seconds after the connectors that shorted the batteries were plugged in. There was no current draw attached to the pack at time of ignition, it was on the ground not attached to the bike. I would guess that a battery got connected in reverse, or maybe one pack was connected across the parallel bus of pairs of packs in series, or something. If you must reconfigure your battery pack to charge it is surely essential that the wiring be absolutely straightforward to reconfigure! And don't do it in a hurry!

But as I said to the owner of the battery at the event-- after the pain, frustration and regret goes away the awesome fireball pictures will remain :twisted:

Back