LiPo to 120VAC

ian.mich

10 kW
How can I take LiPo VDC and turn it into 120VAC. I generally use the 4S hardpacks so operating range of 12-16.8VDC (or in series for higher voltage if the inverter demands it) and outputs 120VAC/115/whatever works with american stuff. Preferably 10-15A capable but can go smaller if that is a huge inverter. Like to use it for a mix of somewhat portable things, from lawnmower, to laptop charger, to electric heater, and everything in between. It's a project/thing i've been wanting to do for a while now.

I am not sure I understand your question. It almost sounded like you answered your own question, but maybe you lack confidence in trying it or attempting to buy the parts that might not all work together correctly.

Inverters increase the voltage, but lots of inverters also take a lower DC voltage and pump out a sine wave AC voltage. I am guessing you are able to find inverters for any capacity you can imagine. There likely are inverters that have variable dc inputs.

In any case. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SLDDHQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007SLDDHQ&linkCode=as2&tag=xbnijgbr-20&linkId=XSO3YQ2FIFBFL5PF This looks like something you are looking for, good ratings, good price. Max power at 1200w. The larger the capacity, the bigger and heavier the inverter will be, kind of a bummer : P.

Pefect, I was hoping someone would pop in with a nice affordable inverter, the one's i'd seen were prohibitively expensive. Will it work on 16.8V?

Most 12v inverters are limited to 15V, so I wouldn't count on it working at 16.8V. Should work fine with 4s lifepo4 though.

Looking at the manufacturers page, http://www.bestekltd.com/Product_v98.html "Input Voltage: 11-15VDC" Wesnewell is right. That sucks, unless you'd be willing to charge lipo to 3.75v. I don't know how much of lipo's capacity that would represent, looks like that might be around 10-15%. I've looked over 4 other inverters specifications, all seem to have very similar limitations. It seems many likely have lifepo4 in mind with their voltages.

Oh, you may struggle with an inverter on things like lawnmowers (anything with a large motor) as the start-up current is usually very high, and most inverters have very poor surge ratings.

As far as the lawn mower thing goes, I've used plug in electric lawn mowers before plenty, maybe you could look into that. It's a a bit of a hassle swinging around all that extension cord, but if I had to consider battery or outlet, I'd certainly go for the outlet unless I had no other choice.
Look into the peak ratings of inverters. The one I suggested has a peak rating of 2100 watts. I don't know how long peak rating is supposed to be rated for, but it might be long enough. I'd contact the manufacturer.

Some inverters seem to say it can peak power for .01 seconds.

Back