• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Little Frog battery pack

lbz5mc12

10 kW
Does anyone in here know how to reconnect the charger port wires on the inside of the pack to the charger port again. I bought it from a seller in China and I need to find somewhere local to get it fixed. Local being San Bernardino, California. I'm well beyond frustration at this point. A little Frog style battery is the black one that clamps onto the seat post. It's a 39V 8Ah pack. It still has about a 50% charge. In other words, I've already seen sparks.

If the charger port and it's wires are not a robust design, then attach wire and a plug to the battery. Make your own better charger connection. So what if 2" of wire and a plug hang out.

Can you take some pictures of what is broke? If we can see the problem, perhaps we can tell you how to fix it?
36V 12Ah Little Frog Li-Ion Electric Bicycle Battery Pack
http://www.bmsbattery.com/packs/168-36v-12ah-little-frog-li-ion-electric-bicycle-battery-pack.html
36v-12ah-little-frog-li-ion-electric-bicycle-battery-pack.jpg

Yes I will take some pictures. I just need to find my camera software and reinstall it. A without picture description would be, positive red, negative black, going to a single port charge connection. It's a round charge single prong female connection on the outside of the pack. The charger only has one wire running to the connection. I was thinking of making my own connection but I ran into the charger requirement snag. See "you name it" below. :) Basically to make my own connection, I would need some kind of "Y" connection to plug the two battery wires into the single wire from the charger. Not to mention the pack is still about 50% charged. If anyone in here knows of a battery repair place in San Bernardino, Ca, I would much rather take it there instead of trying to do it myself.

P >-------------------> (Single Wire) I-----------I
>---------(@)<Internal Charge Connection>---------(O)<External Connection>-------------------> Charger I
N >-------------------> I-----------I

Think you might have a RCA connector? Think charger actually has two wires inside of one round casing.
220px-Component_video_jack.jpg

250px-Composite-cables.jpg

Good luck finding a "battery repair place" What you need is someone with a small bit of electricity knowledge and a large amount of motivation.

See link below. Steveo is as close as your favorite shipping place USPS, UPS, FedEX.
Steveo back in business for repairs in 2011

Yes, it is an RCA style connection. You know with all the audio equipment in my room, you would think that I would have figured that out.

the same sort of problem i am having in this thread

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31251

Is there any voltage detected on the charging poles for the battery? from bms?

any fuses that maybe blown or any signs of any component burnt out?

still waiting for the correct 3/8'' mount rca look alike to arrive before i can be sure the bms is in need of repair or replacement.

otherwise i may have to change all connections to APP

My fuse looks fine. The funny thing is that when I opened up the case, the fuse wasn't actually connected to anything. The only wires that were connected were the indicator, power and just the negative charge wire. The positive wire looked like it had never actually been connected to anything. I've been checking out the scooter parts sites and looking at the Currie chargers. The only problem is that they seem to be for lead acid only. They make their chargers for lithium batteries because I've got a skyline and it has a lithium battery and charger. The only problem is that it's a 24V charger. If I was sure this charger could charge my little frog battery, I'd buy the three pin two wire adapter and connect it to my battery. I'm not worried about the cosmetic aspect of having wires hanging out of the case. Check out electricscooterparts.com and you'll see what I'm talking about. Another issue I have is that the battery is 39v 8ah. While it was working, it was a great battery. The higher voltage took my max speed to about 27mph on an 800 watt hub motor. It also got rid of the load issues I was having with the 36v battery. Since it's 39v, it falls under the high voltage cutoff of 42v on my controllers. I have more than one kit hence "controllers".

Batteryspace sells lots of lithium chargers fairly cheap. Similar stuff on ebay too. You'd have to put your own connector on the end, to match whatever you end up with on the frog.

Thank you for that Batteryspace site. It looks like I can use the charger with the small gator clips. I'm just waiting for a response as to whether or not I can use the 37v charger with my 39v battery. I think I can just clip the clamps onto the charge wires and wrap them with electrical tape to keep the connections from crossing. Then I could just run the wires through the existing hole in the case to the charger. What I can't figure out though, is what wire(s) the fuse is supposed to be connected to. I wish I could just find a picture of how the wires are supposed to be connected to the charge connection.

I have uploaded pictures of the innards of the case. This is the one place where one is not judged harshly for sharing "shocking" photos.

Attachments

• 232323232fp7346--nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-4346nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp7346--nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-4346nu0mrj.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 4,887
  • 232323232fp7346--nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-7346nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp7346--nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-7346nu0mrj.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 4,887
  • 232323232fp73458-nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-3346nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp73458-nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-3346nu0mrj.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4,887
  • 232323232fp73463-nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62--346nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp73463-nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62--346nu0mrj.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 4,887
  • 232323232fp73469-nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-9346nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp73469-nu=6763-2-9-255-WSNRCG=33-7;;62-9346nu0mrj.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4,887
Is the problem that the red and black wires with tape on them broke off the RCA connector? The way I see it you have 3 choices.
1. Repair the existing RCA jack.
2. Replace the RCA jack.
3. Exit wires from case and use a RCA or different connector.

See 344 Product results found for “rca” here:
newark.com
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=422+2203+202170&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=rca&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

More connectors here:
mouser.com

More connectors here:
alliedelec.com

If you are still looking for someone to fix this for you? I think a TV repair man could do this with his eyes closed. Do they still have TV repair people?

Note that I think the wire in audio RCA stuff is different then your battery charger. Do some exploratory surgery on some of those old RCA cables in that box of old stereo wire you have in the attic, basement, garage?

Yes, you are correct. The new snag is that it is an 11 cell pack. Batteryspace doesn't have a charger for an 11 cell pack otherwise I'd be in business. I've sent the same pictures to sales/tech at batteryspace and they're going to see if it is something they can repair. I have no problem with wires hanging out of the case and I already have an idea of what I want to do as it pertains to a new charger and connection. If, in the meantime, anyone could recommend a charger for an 11 cell pack, I'd appreciate it.
Here are some specifications:

The small volume,High energy,light weight,green security,long cycle life, Own development.
Aluminum alloy outer covering. 200W Brushless motor, May continue 35km,Weight: 2500g
Nominal Capacity : 8AH
Nominal Voltage : 39V
Cut-off voltage :31V
Standard charge method CC/CV:
Charging the cell initially with constant current at 2000mA
and then with constant voltage at 46.2V till charge current <200mA.
Max. charge current : 5000mA
Max. continuous discharge current : 10A
Burst discharge current :30A
Standard charge :2000mA*5hrs
Rapid charge : 5000 mA*3hrs
Pack dimension:
Aluminum alloy outer covering
Volumetric Energy density : 280WH
Weight (Approx.) : 2500g
Cycle Life(pack) :1000 Cycles >60%
Available capacity > 96% (31V cut off)

Standard charge method CC/CV:
Charging the cell initially with constant current at 2000mA
and then with constant voltage at 46.2V till charge current <200mA.
Max.charge current:5A*3hrs
Standard charge:2A*5hrs

charger INPUT CHARACTERISTICS
Input Voltage: AC100-240V
Input Voltage Range:AC90-264V
Input Current:1Arms max. @ AC90V full load
Operating Frequency:50/60 Hz
Operating Frequency Range:50-65 Hz
In-Rush Current:1A @ AC230V full load
Input power(no load):<1W @ AC230V
OUTPUT CHARACTERISTICS
Output Voltage 46.2V2A
No load:42V±0.2V @ AC100-240V
charging Current 3A
CV mode 31.00V<46.0v: 2.0±0.3="" a="" @="" ac100-240v="" LED state:
red the battery charging
Blue battery full
Current (Red change to Blue):100±100mA @ AC100-240V
charger weight:430g <46.0v: >

Product Name: new 39V8AH 11cell electric bike battery with charger hot
Item Code: 83573189
Category: Bicycle Parts Add to My Favorite Catalog
Short Description: new 39V8AH 11cell electric bike battery with charger hot
Quantity: 1 Piece
Package Size: 26.0 * 15.0 * 18.0 ( cm )
Gross Weight/Package: 3.8 ( kg )
I believe it is a Li-Ion pack. These are the specs listed on the Dhgate.com wholesale site where I purchased the battery.

Nothing's wrong with the charger. I just don't know how to solder the wires to the connection correctly. I do know how to solder. Since the connection was damaged before I opened up the case, I don't know what wire goes to which spot on the connector. However I can adapt the wires to a different kind of connection and use a different charger. Batteryspace has a charger with small gator clips on a separate connection. The clips go to the battery wires, the clip wires go to a 2 prong connector and the 2 prong connector connects to its mate on the charger. I was thinking that would work alright but the tech said that the charger was only for a 10 cell pack.

Red or positive should be the center part of RCA connector. Black or negative should be the outer part of RCA connector. Get a volt meter to be sure. If you hook the volt meter up backwards the meter will show negative numbers.

This might work?
You could buy one of these:
RCA JACK TO RCA JACK COUPLER
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/AD-3/RCA-JACK-TO-RCA-JACK-COUPLER/1.html
x600-465.Jpg

And one of these:
IEC 18 AWG Speaker wire with RCA Male Black cable 6'
http://www.amazon.com/IEC-Speaker-wire-Black-cable/dp/B003U44LA8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e2
31ulzfmYnIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If I was you I would repair or replace the RCA jack in the battery case. Or cut the RCA plug off the charger you have and connect the wires together with whatever connector tickles your fancy.
http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/tickle+your+fancy.html

Thanks for that info. That's the answer I've been looking for. Since there is a charge in the pack still, will it spark when I reconnect it?

If you connect charger to battery the same way the charger connected before them wires broke off the RCA jack. I think there will be no noticeable spark.

Best to plug in charger first, then connect to battery.

Yeah they might spark once when you put them together due to the difference in potential. Just use an aligator clip to clamp them together so they don't move about while you are soldering them. Then slide shrink wrap over the connection, remove the clip, move the wrap a bit more to completely cover the bare wire and apply heat. WAla. Just make SURE you have the polarity right first!
Brian L.

Well I checked radio shack and they don't carry the connector I need. I'm going to have to hunt around online and see if I can find it. I'm at the point where I feel like just sending it back and getting a refund. Are there any businesses located in the USA that sell assembled battery packs or at least stock packs they've purchased from China? At this point I'm willing to go with lead acid until I can afford Lithium again. Man, this is the one hobby you really don't want to get into when you're on unemployment. You know what, I bet if it was ten years ago, Radio Shack would have everything I need. Now they're all about cell phone sales.

You aren't alone there mate. I'm on disability, I gotta wait for months to save up enough cabbagge to pay attention! I been building for a year now, and still haven't got a complete bike to show for it. I can remember a day when you could go into Radio Shack, and they knew your name, and could help with tech answers. Today, forget it! Well, self relliance is a vertue.
I have a bunch of those RCA barrell connectors, if you want, I can send them to you.
Brian L.

If it were me, I would repair the existing stuff. Simply probe the wires to be sure of the polarity and then do the same on the charger plug. Make them match up and your ready to solder! A little liquid electrical tape and your done!

Back