Long range full suspension e-bike

HAL9000v2.0

10 kW
This one is my latest bike. It is commencial combi S full suspension with NC motor and infinion with 2 speeds 15 and 30A
In back pack (1/3 of backpack is filled) is 48V20Ah with BMS. On 15A on level ground it can go over 100km.
Top speed around 45km/h.

SAM_0148.jpg

SAM_0147.jpg

SAM_0146.jpg

SAM_0145.jpg

SAM_0144.jpg

SAM_0150.jpg

Hal, you're a monster. How many bikes did you build this week alone :mrgreen: I hate the idea of a backpack battery but at the same time it makes for a practical setup. Bring your backpack in with you and plug it in. How much does the backpack weigh?

You're going to have to do better than that to beat me 220 mile range:D

That thing is really nice.

I 1 kwh in a backpack tolerable? I have about 500 wh of lifepo4 and it weighs 12 lbs. and while it doesn't "feel heavy", the slight back pain I sometimes get afterwards seems to imply that it is.

Don't forget a pre-charge resistor in that pack connection. The "sparks" have been knocking infineon controllers out of commission lately, and you don't want to get 50km out and pop the controller due to something so simple, is standard on EV's, but is typically overlooked on ebikes.

Beautiful and stealthy build.

John

swbluto said:
I 1 kwh in a backpack tolerable? I have about 500 wh of lifepo4 and it weighs 12 lbs. and while it doesn't "feel heavy", the slight back pain I sometimes get afterwards seems to imply that it is.

Sounds like you need a better backpack. A decent pack supports most the weight on your hips and all the shoulder straps do is keep it close to your back. It should also have straps to compress the pack so the contents don't shift around.

To support properly, the backpack should have a wide padded hip belt that you can cinch pretty tight and still feel comfy. I regularly carry two 48v 12ah packs in mine without it hurting my back on 25 mile plus rides. But most of the time I only have one pack in there and after a few minutes I don't even notice the weight.

What does get sore with that much battery is my butt. I need a better seat. :(

My pack is an inexpensive one from Walmart so you can get them cheap if you know what to look for.

Gary

swbluto said:

Yes, as GrayKard just said. The good backpack can take even 15kg. THis one cost more then a hub motor but you can drive 100kg with no problem.
Ofcourse I made a pack in two parts so I can use one which is less then 6kg with backpack. That you can't even feel. Second thing is that is <5% of extra wight :)

Beautiful bike Hal. Your work never fails to impress.

Can't wait to see something running a colossus motor. ;) :) :D

-Luke

GrayKard said:
swbluto said:

Sounds like you need a better backpack. A decent pack supports most the weight on your hips and all the shoulder straps do is keep it close to your back. It should also have straps to compress the pack so the contents don't shift around.

Gary

Thanks for the advice. I do have straps on mine, but it seemed difficult to impossible to tighten them. With your suggestion, I mustered the effort to tighten it (And the first inch was the hardest, but it got tremendously easier after that) and I think it'll work better now. It's a high quality comfortable laptop bag from targus, but I doubt it has straps to tighten the contents to minimize shifting.

Hal

Nice build. As usual quality work.

Would like to ask the king custom E bike frames.

What is your opinion of the rear dropout and swingarm on the commencial combi S frame?

Do you think the frame on this build is strong enough as is? How would you rate the usual soft spots such as swing arm and rear dropouts? Do you plan on doing some custom mods here? Or better question is if you had the time inbetween work and projects would you modify and beef up some spots on the frame? Or keep it as is?

Thanks

Back