Looking for a small, portable, non-balancing Charger.

EBJ

1 kW
Hey guys.

I have been using my Hyperion balance-charger w/ DB25 set-up, and it works great.

But I was just wondering if there is anything out there that can do the following in a relatively small package:

*edit: I'm not looking for another balance charger, just something small that only monitors pack-voltage:

- Charge to a set pack-voltage. (I'd like it to charge to 40 - 41V in my case) *10 cells of LiPo in my pack. I figured charging to only 41V pack voltage would be a good "buffer" for a non-balanced charge. I'd rather not charge much higher than that without using the Hyperion.
- Charge at equivalent Hyperion 1420 "500W" power. Lets say charge at 10A
- Be fairly small and able to plug into a normal 120V outlet.

Any suggestions?

My plan would be to use this small, portable charger for long-trips, where I would need to charge away from home. I'll still be using the balance-charger at home.

Thanks.

What is small to you?

How fast do you need to charge?

The alloy chargers from BMSBATTERY have done a fine job for me. I'm charging either 12s or 15s lipo's with no problem. from 2.5 ampos to 10amp chargers. http://www.bmsbattery.com/18-alloy-shell
Take your pick. I know there has been problems listed here on ES, but not everyone has had a problem.

I know there are sources here in the states but don't remember where they are.

If you buy one of them check and see how much a second one costs to ship. That is the problem with china shipping they raise the cost more than it really is.

Dan

I'd be needing it for a 10S LiPo set-up.
So 40 - 41V output would be ideal. 10 - 15A would also be ideal.

Thanks for the tip DandD,
dnmun, thanks as well: got any examples of ones w/ trimmers and ones with-out? I imagine you could swap out a resistor in order to permanently adjust the output voltage.

I'd like to find a brick-sized charger of good quality.

Any more suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

DAND214 said:
I have this one http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-she...po4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ebike-charger.html
It is adjustable. I wouldn't call it a brick size unless you have big bricks. Been working for about 2 years.

I also have this one http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2011-1K-DCWT.690EH
I hase a latching relay amd is adjustable. Fedex Shipping is less.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Both of those are a little on the large side, but it still beats having to lug around a Hyperion + PSU.
I'm not seeing much as far as user's ability to set output voltage ?

First link mentions 4.2V per cell (Li Ion) or 3.55V per cell (for LiFePO4). If cell # is the only input I have w/ these guys, then 11 cells of "LiFePO4" gets me to 39.05V, which is not quite the 40.5V I was shooting for. Care to explain your set-up ? Thanks.

Both have 3 pots in them. One is voltage cutoff, one is currant and last is the cc.cv adj. I only use the voltage one. it's all by it self. They will not tell you they are adjustable but they are.

time permitting will take a couple pics for you.
There are others out there, just know how these work. The 400w one is smaller but less powerful.
Dan

DAND214 said:
Both have 3 pots in them. One is voltage cutoff, one is currant and last is the cc.cv adj. I only use the voltage one. it's all by it self. They will not tell you they are adjustable but they are.

time permitting will take a couple pics for you.
There are others out there, just know how these work. The 400w one is smaller but less powerful.
Dan

Thanks Dan.

"The importance of potting mobile chargers"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32085

$80 adjustable voltage LED power supply, as a fully potted mobile E-bike charger
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32799
hlg185.jpg

Those look great, but not very high-powered. I'm looking for something closer to 500W.

Found these guys:

"VeriBest" battery chargers.
(the name makes me cringe)

veribestmain.jpg

http://www.electricrider.com/chargers/veribestlithiumindex.htm

Charges to 41V at 8amps.
120 bucks.

The online shop mentions they can "fine-tune" it to different voltages, but don't mention how exactly they are doing that. I'd guess a pot inside. Which leads to my next Q: how do you keep the pot from falling outta-whack? Wouldn't it eventually start to vibrate/resonate itself into a different position? I know Doc was talking about how he likes to put silicon on everything, but what about a Pot?

Here iss a couple pics of the BMSBATTERY 600w unit.
[IMG_0842.jpg

The trim pot at the bottom near the red wire is the voltage adjustment one.

The 400w is much the same but the trim pot is closer to the power out leads.

the page for setting voltages doesn't ask how many cells, just voltage, type of cells, input ac, plug type and ouyput connector.

The 600w at 36v is 12amps and the 400w is 8amps. The 600 watt is tripping my power strip but not a problem on a 20 main with fridge, hot tube, 30amp power supply and lighting. i think it needs 10 amps.

The others listed are great but a little slow.

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,876
Thanks for the pics Dan!
- You ever have to re-calibrate w/ the trim-pot?
I can't remember what initial voltage I set on my MW PSU, but at one point I thought it was wrong and I had to re-calibrate it. I can't remember if I just set it wrong and never noticed, of if it just lost a volt or two from what I originally set it. weird.

And thanks dnmun for the offer, but I already purchased the one I linked to.

Don't know why it happens, but I have seen older chargers drop in voltage. Adjusted the trim pots on those that had em.

This did not happen to the kingpower type chargers I got from pingbattery. Similar to the ones EBJ posted a pic of. They are not too big to carry, but I do advise carrying them in a knapsack if your bike does not have suspension. Mine are 5 amps chargers, slower than you wanted, but easier to carry than a 500w unit.

Depending on the length of the ride, you might just consider carrying more battery on the longer trips. 1500 wh is not so bad to carry, and will take you quite a distance. More than that, charging might be best.

EBJ said:
Thanks for the pics Dan!
- You ever have to re-calibrate w/ the trim-pot?
I can't remember what initial voltage I set on my MW PSU, but at one point I thought it was wrong and I had to re-calibrate it. I can't remember if I just set it wrong and never noticed, of if it just lost a volt or two from what I originally set it. weird.

And thanks dnmun for the offer, but I already purchased the one I linked to.
Yes I do once in a while. Set the voltage and put a dot of silicon on it and it should hold long time. There are multi turn pots not 90% oones. Fine adjustment.

Dan

That's why I use a voltage meter and/or watt meter to monitor the voltage of the charger you can buy one for $10.00 on ebay and then at least you know you are putting in the right voltage.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for... but I'm working on an adjustable step-up charger that can run off a 10-16V supply. Max current will only be about 1A @60V though since I'm designing it specifically to run off of a 12V car battery and too much more current would require more than 10A input. You could get more current out at 40-41V though, but probably more like 2-3A.

Does your pack have a BMS of any sort on it?

Here is the pic of the charger I ended up getting.
(hand included for size)

Small_Charger_2_zpsdf1dd846.jpg

http://www.electricrider.com/chargers/v ... mindex.htm

Charges to 40.8V (had them set that) at 8amps.
120 bucks.

Everything seems to charge great, but I am having a problem connecting it:

PROBLEM:

When I connect the charge-plug to my battery I am getting a small "pop" noise. So I am guessing there is an issue with in-rush current. I can already see a minor amount of pitting on the connector-pins just from using this charger a couple of times. So I imagine prolonged use will lead to pin connectivity issues.

It pops regardless of whether I plug in the charging port or the wall-outlet first.

When I plug int he charging-port, it lights up a red LED on the charger. It lights up the LED regardless of whether or not the wall-outlet is also plugged in. So this tells me the charger is definitely sucking some juice from the battery, and hence the in-rush current issue I think I am having. My question to you guys is:
What do you think I should do about this ?

Thanks.

EBJ said:
PROBLEM:

When I connect the charge-plug to my battery I am getting a small "pop" noise. So I am guessing there is an issue with in-rush current. I can already see a minor amount of pitting on the connector-pins just from using this charger a couple of times. So I imagine prolonged use will lead to pin connectivity issues.

Just thinking outloud, I see 3 potential solutions:

1. Just solder an in-line connector between the battery-plug and the charger to take on the arcing. (that would take the arcing off the charger connector pins and put it onto a heavy-duty connector *like a 4mm bullet*). But it would also turn it into a 2-step connection... hum.
2. Wire in a pre-charge resistor & connector. But then it just became a 3-step connection.
3. Look for some sorta bad-ass Thermistor ? It would need to be able to run 8amps @ 41V but also be able to soak-up the minimal amount of inrush current I get when I first plug in. (I'm not sure that such a thermistor exists or whether or not that's even a good idea).

Open to other suggestions.
I'd cut the wire to the charger LED if I thought that was the only thing causing the in-rush current... but I have a feeling it isn't.

Thanks.

Just a warning for bmsbattery, I have the 400W charger that failed after 6 months and there is NO RePAIR, NO refund and nkt even voucher for future purchase!!!

To deal with the sparks when you plug-in, Just turn on your charger,plugged-in of course, and the sparks will magicly dissapear. My 600 watt monster charges my pack completely in 1 and 1/2 hrs drained.

If your charger is fully powered up, then plug-in the battery lead, should be no sparks as "Dunmun" said few years ago and works ever since.

recumbent said:
To deal with the sparks when you plug-in, Just turn on your charger,plugged-in of course, and the sparks will magicly dissapear. My 600 watt monster charges my pack completely in 1 and 1/2 hrs drained.

If your charger is fully powered up, then plug-in the battery lead, should be no sparks as "Dunmun" said few years ago and works ever since.

It sparks regardless of plug-in order. Battery power alone turns on a red LED on the charger.

Back