Looking for controller and throttle options for this motor

Marzubus

1 µW
Two questions. I have this motor, and looking for what type controllers would work with it. it’s a 28v 190A motor. I obviously need forward and reverse as it’s going into a boat. I think I need something that just flips two of the phases to do reverse?

Secondly, I could also consider having two of these to increase power. Not sure how that affects controller setup.if I want two do I need to put the phases in parallel and run on 52v instead?

Attachments

• 049F4854-73AB-48A6-ABE4-774DDBD6BE7A.jpeg
    049F4854-73AB-48A6-ABE4-774DDBD6BE7A.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Is that an induction motor (no rotor magnets), or BLDC (with rotor magnets)?

They're built differently and use different controllers, though both of them can be built in three-phase types.

If it's a BLDC type it will probably also have some form of position sensor, which could be SIN/COS, "Encoder', UVW-halls (to match the UVW phases), etc. Some controllers support more than one kind of sensor, many only support one specific kind so you have to buy the right one to work with the specfic sensor set the motor has.

Reversing the motor is done by the controller, with a user-operated switch then activating whatever reversing function it has, so when you pick a controller, make sure it has this function built in.

Generally you need separate controllers for separate motors (depends on a number of things we don't have enough information for yet). Once you know which kind of motor so you can pick a kind of controller, you can then check with each controller manufacturer you' are considering to see if their controller supports using two motors the way you want to do, or if it requires separate ones.

The motor is from a hydraulic pump from a small fork lifter.
But I do not know if this is brushless with encoder or hall sensors.

The motor is the drive motor from a small forklift. And I think it will be enough for getting my sailboat out of harbor, and back in. I bought two as I figure I can play with the build a bit. These would probably be installed as an accompaniment to my Diesel motor, at least until it proves to be good and reliable enough to ditch the diesel motor.

For batteries, I was thinking of something like a 8KW pack from a Toyota Prius, and re-assembling the cells into a suitable voltage configuration.

Last edited:
I contacted Curtis, looking for a compatible controller, and they said the motor is a 48V ( 28v * 1.7 for the phases ). So I can use a 48V controller it seems. But I for the life of me cant find where to buy Curtis controllers. Does anyone know a easy to come-by good quality motor controller?

But I for the life of me cant find where to buy Curtis controllers.

I didn't try to buy from any of the links, but there are places listed in a google search using the bolded part of your phrase

There is also a distributor list on the Curtis site, but even easier would be to ask Curtis (since you're already in communication with them) where to buy the model they would recommend for your existing parts and whatever job it has to do for you.

I didn't try to buy from any of the links, but there are places listed in a google search using the bolded part of your phrase

There is also a distributor list on the Curtis site, but even easier would be to ask Curtis (since you're already in communication with them) where to buy the model they would recommend for your existing parts and whatever job it has to do for you.
Thanks, but I should have been more clear. The model I need is either a 1234SE-547X, or a 1236SE-567X, and I cannot find these models anywhere, but would like to find them in EU. Curtis referred me to TVH, which is a b2b only. So that doesnt help.

you could try emailing Denzel east gem, they deal with a bunch of motors

Back