Looking for wide-road tire for 29er/700c based E-bike

Hi,
Since E-bike makes weight considerations less relevant, I always aim for the widest tire an E-bike can accomondate.
Wide tire vs narrower tire at the same pressure and tread, will always roll better, grip better, and absorb road-shocks better.
I know Maxxis Hookworm 29x2.5 (622x63) as the best&wide E-bike tire for road cycling. I also own Schwalbe big apple 29x2.35 (622x60) which is the next closest match.
Since my fork can accept a much wider tire than 2.5inch, and also the rear has a bit more space, I look for a bit wider tire than the hookworm, in the range of 2.6-3inch, but that has road profile. That is, no knobs at all, but has small threads/channels for gripping well on wet roads.
I also don't want semi-slick, since those side knobs can cause you to skid on the road, if you take a sharp turn on a wet road.
Do you know of any such tire? Googling around (including looking in the "29 plus" catergory) didn't find anything wider than 29x2.5inch. Only knobby MTB tires. I don't mind the weight at all.

I also want to convert a Fat-Bike to truck-road-E-bike which will be a road machine, and use the advantage of the big tires to carry heavy loads (front&rear) which would be significant cushioned. I didn't find any Fat-tire which would resemble Maxxis-Hookworm's tread pattern or Shwalbe's big apple and is at least 4.5inches wide. (I use 26inch rims - 559 ETRTO)

And last, I have converted my touring bike to be electric. The widest and best flatless touring tires come from Schwalbe, but their Marathon Touring tire comes limited up to 29x1.75inch (622x47), and I assume due to the already heavy weight of the anti-flat components. As I said, on E-bike weight is less relevant, so I was wondering if there is any truly anti-flat tire out there, which is wide as the hookworm. (I know of the Marathon MTB which is 2.15inch wide, but it's not a good roller on the road and has gripping issues in rainy conditions)

The closest​ thing I know of to what you describe in the first case is the Vee Speedster 29 x 2.8".

The Vee Apache Fatty Slick 26x4.5" is the thing I think of in the second case, though it has no tread features whatsoever. My experience with fat slicks since the late 1980s leads me to believe that superficial tread patterns make no noticeable difference in wet traction on pavement versus a true slick.

And in the last case-- no, there is no armored 29 inch road tire as big as the Hookworm. The 29x2.1" WTB Thick Slick Flat Guard is a good compromise between armor, sturdy construction, large size, and fast tread pattern. It seems tougher than the Big Apple and is quite a bit thicker walled.

Chalo said:
The closest​ thing I know of to what you describe in the first case is the Vee Speedster 29 x 2.8".

The Vee Apache Fatty Slick 26x4.5" is the thing I think of in the second case, though it has no tread features whatsoever. My experience with fat slicks since the late 1980s leads me to believe that superficial tread patterns make no noticeable difference in wet traction on pavement versus a true slick.

And in the last case-- no, there is no armored 29 inch road tire as big as the Hookworm. The 29x2.1" WTB Thick Slick Flat Guard is a good compromise between armor, sturdy construction, large size, and fast tread pattern. It seems tougher than the Big Apple and is quite a bit thicker walled.

You are right. The Vee Apache Fatty Slick 26x4.5 is the widest at the moment, and for 29er's it's the 2.5inch wide hookworms.
I guess the market will adjust itself to the growing trend of wider and wider tires (especially for touring), but until then, I will just stay with the regular MTB frames. (there is no point at the moment to buy "plus" frames since there are no 3.2inch+ slick tires for them, yet)

I really like the 29" Hookworms I am running.

Not a 29er but it does have a big diameter...been trying to find an Apache 26x4.50...Vee part number 42703, it has a wire bead and 72 tpi...has anybody come across one? Thanks

The highest load rating I have found on any bicycle tire is the Schwalbe Super Moto-X size 27.5x2.8.

It has a load rating of 155 Kg per tire: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/super-moto-x

All the tires and issues discussed above still exist...just good info for anyone that searches for similar information :D .

Back