Ultimate puncture proof bike tires? testing Kenda K-shield and K-shield Plus

Have you seen this tire? It is made from a metal alloy and flat proof. I don't think it is for sale yet though.

Cycling — The SMART Tire Company

20220427_155818.jpg

I've seen tons of tires like these and they're all unobtanium.
..and every time we get one released, we find they have too poor of ride quality.

I believe it's possible with today's material engineering to produce a good airless tire but it hasn't exactly a 'manhattan project' type effort so far, lol.

So for now, 3lbs of rubber will do, lol.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour is thicker on the tread than the Marathon Plus, with a mildly articulated tread that I need to get thru the drifting sand we have on the paths here. But against 11mm goat heads, if you get one in between the tread blocks (and of course you will) you're right back to relying on the puncture belt.

I use the Pickup and rely on the thicker casing for my smaller front 20" tire in a town where there ARE goat heads, but California Central Valley has them in the 3-5mm size. So the Pickup, then Tannus underneath but we all know thats just throwing spaghetti at the wall. Under that is a thorn 'proof' tube and inside the tube is Flatout. And a little air in the space thats left.

One thing I do that has added one more helpful layer to the onion is always oversize my tubes. That keeps the tube from being distended under the tire. The idea is just like a balloon: Just put a puff of air in and you can scrape a pin over it pretty hard without issue. Blow it up and then just graze it with a pin and boom. For say a 2.30" tire I go up to a 3.0" tube. The only trick is during install put that puff of air in to give it shape and keep it from getting under the tire bead. Then once the bead is seated check around both sides to make doubly sure its not wedged under the bead anywhere.

Consequently... he wants blue tires on his bie ::hangs head in shame:: and those from what I ahve seen are only Kenda.

But, boy wants blue rubber, boys gonna get blue r=ubbah...

Um. Boy requires education, and receiving blue tires is the opposite of that in the short run. In the longer term, he'll only learn they actually suck all available balls if he is observant and open to the idea.

One thing I do that has added one more helpful layer to the onion is always oversize my tubes. That keeps the tube from being distended under the tire.

This!

Lately it seems the labeled size on tubes is two whole sizes smaller than the measurable size. My coping strategy is to use whatever size fills up the tire casing without being stretched.

I use the Pickup and rely on the thicker casing for my smaller front 20" tire in a town where there ARE goat heads, but California Central Valley has them in the 3-5mm size. So the Pickup, then Tannus underneath but we all know thats just throwing spaghetti at the wall. Under that is a thorn 'proof' tube and inside the tube is Flatout. And a little air in the space thats left.

I'm originally from roughly your area and can tell you the goatheads are about 2x longer here in Utah. Whatever i require, cut that in half, lol.

Marathon plus tour and marathon e-plus would be the thickest tires Schwalbe offers, schwalbe pickup coming second to those..
If you need to go +1 on protection then the Kenda Cargo tires would be the next step up.

Also, i've seen that in test the tannus armor has a pretty bad effect on rolling resistance, generally sealants seem to have lower rolling resistance, and ones like flatout can last a long time..

So i think the tannus is out for me longterm as long as flatout does what it says on the tin..

I'm originally from roughly your area and can tell you the goatheads are about 2x longer here in Utah. Whatever i require, cut that in half, lol.

I think you may have stumbled upon a latent demand for a goathead breeding program. Breed a strain of tribulus terrestris that drives cars and constantly accesses TikTok, and it will both proliferate and become thornless.

Also, i've seen that in test the tannus armor has a pretty bad effect on rolling resistance, generally sealants seem to have lower rolling resistance, and ones like flatout can last a long time..
All you have to do is ride about 30 feet with Tannus inside a tire and thats all the test you will need. Its like the wheel is dead inside. I'm using it on a bigass 2wd cargo bike so I've got the juice to overcome that. After a few months the Tannus is paper thin but ifits that or nothing I'll take it.

Here's an interesting aside about using Tannus that you wouldn't expect: It folds over the tube entirely and encases it completely. That makes pinching the tube with the tire pretty much impossible during install. Much appreciated on a side-of-the-road fixit session.

wow, I never actually did just a google search, I hit up the places I buy tires and looked for blue ones..

WIll probably be following this up in another thread to see which of these are the least terrible.

I stopped by Aliexpress just to see what tires they have that are colored. I see Kenda has some but sizes are extremely limited. Even some solid colored tires. Fun to look at but wouldn't dare ride any of them.

Attachments

• tire-1.jpg
    tire-1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2
The company I work for uses solid colored tires for the free bikes used to go between buildings for meetings. Maybe helps add theft resistance since normal cyclists don't want them. 😁

When I was in my DayGlo Avenger-bike phase ;) I wanted dayglo-pink tires (and bike, clothes, etc), because that color is the most visible in the poorest lighting conditions around dusk and dawn, when I used to have to ride most of the time, *and* because nobody wanted to be seen riding with such colors, so it was less likely to be pilfered or messed with.

Nowadays I just use good lighting (and a lot of it) and a big cargo trike (which is big enough it might hurt their car a little bit if they hit me), and ride in the street (or bike lane if available *and* safe to use), rather than sidewalk-switching-to-street-as-needed, etc., so I don't worry much about the tire color, since it is such a tiny fraction of the surface area of the trike (vs being a significant part of the bike's area).

Though, I'd still paint the trike dayglo pink if it wouldn't fade in weeks to nearly white in the sun here. :lol:

There are a few factors in why my son is getting this ridiculous request fullfilled.
He is 12 now, we lost his sister when he was 8, and they were very close.

Grief and loss come with their own burdens. He took it like a champ even when I basically checked out for a couple weeks and proceeded to drain a river of whiskey, it didn't help. Monkey however stepped up, knew what was going on and forgave me for being an idiot. Kid has heart.

That coupled with his dad being the neighborhood bike mechanic (as sad as my skills are) and the fact is, it is the only thing he has asked for independent of the work process "Plan, document, prep. Embark" So, they are dumb, they are gonna be constant flat magnets...

Boy is getting blue tires if I have to design the process myself.

Those look like foam capped inner tubes? that is pretty nice, wonder if they have sources on the top of the planet...

Off to look, thanks for the pointer.

Good news/bad news...

Tannus America does sell here, they have numerous shops in easy driving distance.. and they sell the full selection and will do installations...

bad news, they only sell the inner portion, not the outer.. so no tires just tubey bits...

And the bad news... No shiney blue tires.. I think that when they are purchased I will just expect them to be craptacular and go to the shop and get the armour inserts...

Thanks for the lead on that.

What about foam filled or solid rubber?
Those roll like crap, ride like crap, and beat your wheels into crap. But if that's what you want, they're perennially available.

Usually the first pair someone tries out is also the last.

I've tried at least a couple of variants on different builds, neither successfully.

One was on a "normal" bike (DayGlo Avenger) and the rear wheel basically fell apart (spokes loosened, then rim warped, etc) as the rim had no protection against deformation by the beating it took from the road, as there's no air to provide the suspension that an air filled (pneumatic) tire does.

Another was the front tire of an SWB trike (Delta Tripper), and it was mushy like a really low tire, caused handling problems, and IIRC eventually came off the rim with the tire in a turn. I think I moved it to a trailer and had the same problems there.

EDIT: I misremembered the last bit:
the tire did come off the rim (not "in a turn", though, in this instance), but I had the trailer with me and moved the failing wheel to the trailer off the trike, swapping them so I could get home.

Last edited:
Some updates on the Kenda situation.

They asked me for a review of the tires so i left one mentioning all the problems with the online store.
Looks like i got their attention and finally they contacted me and want a phone call to explain the problems.

I decided to order 2 24" drumlin cargo tires and will post the results of a poke test on that tire too once it's arrived.

Back