Lost my regen - EDIT: Got it back!

mistercrash

10 kW
I sent a PM to Lyen about this but I wanted to post it publicly also in case someone has the same little problem. I run the Lyen 18fet controller and I recently went from 51.8V to 74V. My regen worked very well before but after the battery upgrade the regen doesn't work. I tried the three settings on the controller for regen but they don't work. The shunt is set at 1.333. Help please because the regen saves a lot on brake pads.

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem when I went from 10S to 15S. If you changed your voltage then you need to examine the R12 setting because I suspect your Vbatt is now higher than the Regen HVC setting.

Try reading this thread for more info: R12 mod for high voltage regen

Best of Luck, KF 8)

R12 settings? Vbatt higher? Are you talking about the settings of my controller or the CA? I read the first 2 pages of that thread and it got me more confused. I thank you for trying to help. I'll go read again to see if I can make sense of it.

You need to reprogram your controller (assuming your controller can handle the change). Lyen will know whether you need to do the r12 mod.

I'm done reading, but did I understand what I read? Maybe not. The only thing that stuck in my head from this thread is the regen doesn't work above 75V and that there's a lot of suggestions on what to do, ideas on what to do, ideas for modifications, but I didn't find a definite answer I can understand to fix the problem. :|

EDIT: itchynackers, I saw your reply after I posted this so thanks, I hope Lyen checks his emails soon and gets back to me.

Yes, I regen my 18 fet at 102.5V. I haven't tested it for higher, but I suppose it could. Just have lyen tell you how high of a regen voltage you can go before doing a resistor mod.

mistercrash said:
Lyen is sending me a resistor for high voltage regen with instructions on where to solder it on the board of my controller. What a great guy. :D
I use a 6.2KΩ resistor in parallel with the 1.2KΩ R12 resistor to effectively change R12 to 1.0KΩ. This adjusts the regen voltage (and lvc) by about 20% above the program settings, making the regen voltage "75V" setting equivalent to about 90V, ideal for a 72V-ish system. I have the same mod on my Lyen 18-FET controller, too.
I detailed this mod in my write-up of Lyen's 12-FET controller here:
http://zenid10.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/ohmless-and-angry/

mistercrash said:
Great write up Zenid. Thank you very much. :)
You're welcome! :) Glad it came in handy...

I got this from Lyen

regen2.jpg

And he told me to solder it here on my controller's board

regen1.jpg

And after reprogramming the controller, I got my regen back.
yay2.gif
Thanks for everyone that helped. Learning lotsa cool stuff in here.

Nice work! :) Looks like a 6.2KΩ resistor. Thanks for the picture of it mounted on the 18-FET board.

Is it an EB218 board, or one of the new 318 boards, incidentally?

Back