Luna 72V Battery has arrived! :D

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Pics to follow soon! Just got home from getting a belt for the drill press & supplies for a battery box, and of course, once I left, UPS showed up! :roll: :mrgreen:

Thanks! I have been very happy with 18s Lipo, so I am curious to see how 20s Li-Ion compares, I will be replacing the current controller with one with higher amps, and I already know that there is a significant increase in efficiency from 48v to 72v, just have to see how things shake out! 8)

As promised, pics! (adding them to photobucket as I write)

The battery with charger on top came packed very well, with lots of closed cell foam encasing each, as well as packing peanuts:

I particularly appreciate the extra XT 90 with built in charging circuit sent with the battery, and an XT 60 for the charger, along with 2 spare fuses.

Battery arrives with a 72v partial charge, I will be topping it up with the 80% charge feature before using the bike.

I have made a quick and dirty install for now, I will eventually make another aluminum box mainly for looks as I am sure the battery would perform fine as is, I just wouldn't have as much protection from accidental damage.

The battery is covered in a thick shrink wrap that looks pretty substantial, just as pictured on their website.

Well, I took it out for a spin minus the trailer, performed beautifully! :)

I am running slightly higher voltage, so using less amps, and it pulls just as harder than the average car from a stop while still keeping under 25 MPH, don't need any more than that! :wink:

Again, no problems running with the trailer loaded up today, runs great, I will be doing some speed tests on a nice stretch of road this week-end.

I first charged it from 72v (around 40%) when it arrived, and it took about 2 hrs to get to 80% or 79v (80.3 hot off charger).

No noticeable voltage sag, charged right ahead of traffic where the lane I was in merges into a single one (well, I do have the bike lane, but this is a busy intersection and a bit of short hill) so it was a great "E-Bike Grin" moment. 8)

Back