M-55 Bike

geekybiker

10 W
This was up on Gizmodo. Apparently they are claiming 43mph out of 1300w.
500x_electric-bike1.jpg

Looks interesting, I can't find a price or detailed specs though.

Video says 36.9v @ 20.7ah battery for the 1300w version.

Also found a video with construction details
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O9jHhCfo7s&feature=related

http://www.zedge.net/videos/133207/m55-bike-evo-001-video/

I see one real photo with the frame cut, otherwise it seems they are better with CAD :lol:

Awesome looking frame though, and if they got it cast it wouldn't be too expensive either. Thinking outside the box for sure.

If they want to send one out for beta testing, my address is.....

Seriously, if they really want to sell these, Doc, Ypedal, etc, etc needs to ride it.

it looks like it's been covered here before...

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8833

One to me, one to you, and one to Doc would be sure to get a balanced unbiased opinion of it. I bet three thumbs up from us would be better for sales than what that video cost. We wouldn't have to keep em, just beta test em for oh, say 2000 miles, :mrgreen: and return to the engineers for analysis.

Or, I could be their team rider at next years spooky tooth death race. :mrgreen:

Specs are up now:
http://www.m55-bike.com/en/m55-bike-models/the-beast
Frame:

Material: 7075 Aluminum
Construction: Self supported frame structure, integrated electric motor assist, integrated battery cell and hidden electric wiring. Single pivot suspension system, single piece cast swing arm 1:3 ratio.
Suspension travel: front: 200 mm, back: 172 mm, for use with only disc brakes
Frame size: 19”
Color option: Custom design and color scheme for the batch of every 55 pieces

Battery cells:

22 pcs Tenergy Polimer Li-Ion cells (20 AH)
Capacity: 44 V

Motor:

EB-PC electronic motor unit, approx. 90% efficiency, drive-integrated rotation sensor, adjustable electronic assist. The rated speed is 2400 RPM, rated torque is 5.2 Nm. A speed reduction gear mechanism is integrated in the motor unit to increase the maximum assist torque to 104 Nm! Maximum speed: 77 km/h at 120 pedal cadence!

Components:

Fork: Fox 36 160 Talas Fit RLC with Kashima coating
Rear shock: Fox DHX RC4 with Nukeproof titanium spring
Headset: Syncros FBI 1 1/8” semi-integrated
Crankset: Custom made, aluminum alloy, 170 mm crank arm length, ISIS Drive compatible
Bottom bracket: Custom made, CNC machined, heat treated steel spindle, ISIS Drive compatible
Front chainwheel: Gebhardt GP custom made for the M55, 7075-T6 aluminum alloy, CNC machined, 5 mm width. 50 or 52T
Chain: KMC X1, specifically developed for Rohloff internal gear hub
Rear cog: Rohloff, 15T, 16T or 17TGear change machanism: Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 tandem version
Gear shifter: Rohloff twist shifter
Brakes: Brembo front and rear, 203 mm floating discs, 2 piston design
Brake levers: Brembo brake lever body, custom M55 brake lever design
Rims: Syncros FR DS 32, 26”
Front hub: Syncros FR 20mm Thru Axle
Rear hub: Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 Tandem version
Spokes: DT Alpine II, 2,34-2 mm
Integrated handlebar and stem: Cast and CNC-machined custom model, 97 mm effective stem length, 741 mm handlebar width, integrated
Grips: ZZYZX Carbo 4U
Seatpost: Syncros Carbon Seat post, 31.6, 350mm
Saddle: Syncros FR saddle
Pedals: Syncros Meathook

Geometry:

Head tube angle: 65 degree
Seat tube angle: 73 degree
Wheelbase: 1160 mm
Chainstay length: 525 mm
Top tube length: 567 mm
tHorizontal top tube length: 587 mm
Seat tube length: 518 mm
Stepover height: 815 mm
Bottom bracket height: 370 mm

Weight: 33 kg

Surprised the cells are Tenergy actually...

Looking fwd to the second model, "urbanized":
Our second model, the streamlined, urbanized version of the big brother. If the Beast is the Lambo Murcielago, the Daemon is the Gallardo.

We integrated all the lessons learned during the developement of the Beast and then added a bit more. The Daemon is going to be lighter and more agile to meet the requirements of the paved roads and concrete environment. It has fat slick tyres, hardtail frame with a truly unique one-sided chainstay and its motor is integrated in the rear hub.

This model will be available with a special female geometry and one tailored to gentlemen.

Coming soon!

Especially lookin' fwd to that "special female geometry" as most ebikes I've seen just have boring old handlebars to hang on to... :D

Lock

72lbs is quite heavy for using MTB wheels IMO, but with almost 900wh of juice it would have some pretty good range too. What do you guys think the price will be? 4 to 6 grand? More?

We are in the golden age of the ebike, I can only hope that there will be more choices like this in the future.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
would this be 'special female geometry' or 'one tailored to gentlemen'??

ACK! That's funny as heck but can ya cover her up??? Don't want to see this thread in the cesspool!
Lock

johnrobholmes said:
What do you guys think the price will be? 4 to 6 grand? More?

From gizmag Nov 11:
http://www.gizmag.com/m55-beast-human-electric-hybrid-bike-announced/16909/
Unleashing the BeastThere will be a couple of distinct product release waves. The first run to be manufactured in the new center in Budapest, near the Pilis mountains, will be limited to just 55 units. This represents the model featured in the gallery – the Beast 55 – complete with fully CNC machined aluminum frame with carbon-fiber plates. This special collector's edition has recently been shown off at the SEMA trade show in Las Vegas and will be available for purchase from February next year for US$35,300.

In April 2011, the company will make the first of its "standard edition" Beast e-bikes available. This model will feature much of the same technology as the limited "55" model but with "hydroformed aluminum not CNC machined." This is reflected in the reduced pricing of US$15,200. Every 55th e-bike produced will be a special edition model sporting a custom paint job.

M55 is currently working on an urban model called the Daemon, which will be available with optional one-sided front suspension and come in male and female tailored varieties. This model is also set for an April release and will cost US$13,300.

Personalizations and customizations can also be created on request.

At first they were talking about a 250 unit first production I believe... EVen at future prices $13-15K, still well north of Optibike pricing...

Lock

here's the latest incarnation of the m55
m55bike-thumb-550xauto-51967.jpg

I like it, especially the nifty reduction to the cranks. I don't think I'll be able to afford one, but I would like to see someone implement something similar here.

Back