Mac kit problem - solved! The problem was me lol

Timma2500

1 kW
I put together a quicky build this afternoon, putting my girlfriends's 8t Mac kit on a hardtail for her to try out before i go to the trouble of chopping up her BigHit frame.

I get it all together then go to solder the Deans plug onto the controller lead and find my soldering iron has shat itself and no longer working. Crap!
Desparate to get it working even just temporarily for Mel to try the bike, i used my chargers output lead with a male Dean on one end and male bullets on the other end, i tightly twisted the controller lead around the bullets and heat shrinked over them to hold it all in place.

I turn it on, getting a big spark from the plugs as i plug it in and nothing.... I then tap the back wheel and it works fine. Curious, i flip the bike over onto its wheels, hop on and twist the throttle and... nothing.
I bounce the front end up in the air, throttle on and it slowly goes creeps forward making a horrendous noise from the hub and bugger all power.

Do you guys think its just my dodgy-ish battery connection thats causing this? Its twisted on very tightly and the battery is on about 50v (12s lipo) so i'd have thought it'd be good enough just for a brief backyard test. I've checked all the throttle plugs, hall plugs etc and they all seem fine. Its a mystery...

005.JPG
The bike in question.

Paul

Bad connection all right, but more likely the phases or halls. Could be wrong order if the connections are good.

The usual, check everything, seeing instead of merely looking.

are you using cell_man's controller? if so, all the colors line up. If you're using a lyen controller however, i believe the blue and yellow phase wires get swapped.

Ok, i tried it again this morning after checking all the connections are correct, pins are pushed in properly and the hall wire colours all match - yep neptronix, its one of cell_man's 12 fet controllers. This time around its not going at all...

Lastnight i did plug in the laptop to the controller while the bike was still powered up, could that have damaged the controller at all?
When i did, the laptop said it couldn't load the driver software. I'm a complete nooob when it comes to this stuff so i hope hooking up the laptop while it was powered up hasn't buggered it at all.

One thing i did notice, even this morning was when i spin the wheel backwards, applying throttle stopped the wheel like regen. I don't know if this means much but just thought i'd mention it.

Maybe it is a hall problem. If i can't solve the issue by later this week i'll take the hub apart and check the halls.

Thanks guys,

Paul.

Problem solved, and what a truly embarrassing stuff up it was...
One of the phase plugs was plugged in the wrong way meaning the contacts weren't making contact :oops:

This is why A - i shouldn't do work on bikes at 1am and B - i normally hard wire everything!

Thankyou Neptronix and Dogman for helping me all the same :)

I got the bike going today (day off work) and was pleasantly surprised by the little Mac, it loves popping wheelies from a standstill even on the low power setting on the 3spd switch. Im thinking i'd better back the power off before Mel hops on it, atleast till she gets used to it!

View attachment 1002.JPG

Paul :D

Cheers 999zip999.

Yep, got two Ebikes.ca front torque arms doubled up on the drive side. I'd have put one either side but couldn't be bothered taking the contacts out of the phase and hall plugs to slide the torque arm on for a bike that is temporary till i get Mel's BigHit frame finished. Its only pulling 1800w peaks at the moment and i'll be reducing it to around 1000w when Mel starts riding it so it should be ok.

Paul :D

Back