MAC Motor- 10T for torque or go for the 12T

majornelson

100 W
I am building out an Electra Townie Cruiser (26" wheels) as my summer project and want torque over speed. I'm looking at em3ev's 48v battery and either a 10T or 12T MAC.

My current bike is an 8T MAC with a 48v frame battery. Top speed around 33mph but it is slow off the line. Sweet spot seems to be 22 - 28 mph.

I remember someone commenting here in the forums that either the 10T or 12T was so strong they could almost do a wheelie. I'm willing to sacrifice top end to get something that pulls strong at a lower speed. My gut is that the 10T is the right compromise (they're really aren't any hills) but I'd like to get feedback from anyone that has one.

Thanks!

What controller/Amps do you plan on using. That is a big part of the torque equation.

IF, and that's a huge IF, you won't mind a very slow speed, you will love the slowest motor you can get your hands on.

I have not tried the 12t mac, but I'm the guy that loves the slow motors. I love the smooth pull off the line, and 22 mph would be plenty fast for me. I'm never out in the lane trying to keep up, my city has some great bike routes. I don't have to play with traffic to cross the bridge, or anything like that.

So the slower the better to me. I think the 12t loaded would run around 20mph on 48v. Maybe faster if you aren't so heavy. Way too slow at 36v.

But the flip side is, a 10t will be a huge improvement, quite likely plenty for you, especially if you will run 30 amps. It will get out of that lugging rpm a bit faster, with a lower no load rpm. You'll feel it's better with just the 10t.

Chances are, you won't like slowing that much and be happiest with the 10t.

If you live on flat terrain, you can use more amps than 30A, because during the cruise phase the amps will drop off to a low current that is just enough to maintain speed. During this time, the motor and controller will cool off.

If you have uphills that are long and steep, the motor and controller can be in a situation where they are flowing high amps for an extended time without cooling off. If I lived in a flat beach community, I would not hesitate to use 35A as the max setting. However, if a friend wanted to test-ride my E-bike and I lived next to a long uphill, I would want some way to limit the amps to 20A and monitor the temps.

A generally accepted limit is to keep the inside of the controller and motor below 93C / 200F. On geared hubs, the case is nowhere near as hot as the stator, since there is no physical connection between them.

Most riders seem to be happy with 25A-30A...

majornelson said:
Any sense on how hard the 10T can pull?
Sure - easy to see on the ebikes.ca simulator. A BMC V2S is equivalent to a MAC 8T and a BMC V2T is equivalent to a MAC 12T. Run them both and the 10T is halfway in between the curves. For getaway torque, you want to examine the Torque/Thrust curve at 0 mph (dead stall) and shortly thereafter at low speeds.

Here was some key advice:

motomech said:
What controller/Amps do you plan on using. That is a big part of the torque equation.
majornelson said:
Good point. I will order the 9 fet Infineon controller from Paul at em3ev. It is rated at 30 amps.
spinningmagnets said:
If I lived in a flat beach community, I would not hesitate to use 35A as the max setting.
An important point to consider is that you are specifically concerned with getaway torque - this is the time the motor is constrained by the controller 'rated amps' setting. This means the controller capacity is critical to achieving your specific goal - which is a little different than most who are looking for top speed where the amp draw is lower.

Motomech pretty much nailed it - you really need to get a programming cable and re-program your controller to get the amps up to be able to achieve your best off-the-line performance. A plain vanilla 9-FET is not going to let you max out you motor capability because the controller is limiting things on getaway.

As an example - from your response above which seemed to suggest you thought a 9-FET was an upgrade - I'm guessing you are using a 6-FET on your existing bike. Here's a run in the simulator showing the difference between your bike with 25A 6-FET and an upgraded 35A controller.

1-MAC8T-diffControllers.png
You can see a 16% improvement in getaway thrust (70lb-60lb)/60lb = 1/6 by running a 9-FET jacked up to 35A or a 12-FET dialed down to 35A. Interestingly, you see that the top speed is unchanged because the motor characteristics are limiting current at that rpm - the gain was entirely at the low end.

Looking at a similar situation for the 10T, we run an 8T and 12T simulation and estimate the 10T is about midway:

3-MAC10T deadStallThrust.png
Here we see that you should get about 80lbs of thrust off the line for a 10T on 35A compared to 60lbs with your existing 8T on 25A. This is a 33% improvement off the line. Top speed will be about 27-28mph. (In order to get the simulator to yield a top speed of your claimed 33mph for the 8T I had to use a full tuck position for you - not a standard Mtn bike posture - I'm guessing you were milking it for all it would do. I use this same tuck posture for the 10T to get 27+mph - faster than achievable with standard Mtn bike posture.)

You will need to play this against the battery Ah and C rate to ensure you don't overtax it, but 35A is modest and within reach of the EM3EV 14s6p frame battery with 22P cells (2.1Ah x 6p x 3C = 37.8A max discharge - 35A is fine for brief getaway bursts). You can safely raise the 9-FET to 35A - the high current draw is transient and the 10T current draw at max speed will be less than 20A so overheating on the flat is not an issue.

You should also be getting the 3077 instead of the 4011 FETs in your controllers to get the highest usable amps - you don't need the high voltage rating of the 4011 for your pack.

Another strategy is to change your 14s6p frame pack (84 cells 50.4v 12.3Ah) to a custom 17s5p pack (85 cells 61.2v 10.5Ah). EM3EV has suitable 17s BMSs and chargers. This will give you a higher top speed and more thrust off the line. Although you don't want the top end, it might make the 12T a viable candidate with the extra speed. If you hold down the top speed you will get close to the same range since the battery Wh remains the same - but you will pay for those power-eating getaways. You can get a CA to keep you honest and/or bump up the pack to 29E cells for more capacity. So many options....

In any case, you get the drift of how to do the comparisons. You may wish to look at thrust at 5 or 10mph instead or examine the achievable speeds with a more conventional posture. Have fun! :D

teklektik,

Great analysis.

And you're spot on regarding the top speed on my 8T, it is in a tuck position. Not sustainable but you have to do it to see how fast you can go, right? ;)

I see now how the # of FETS impacts torque, not top end speed. Makes sense...

Thanks!

I have the 10T and absolutely love it (when the controller actually keeps it running unlike right now) and I use it to haul whenever I go shopping, etc. That being said I would not try hauling my solar rig setup with the 10T especially when theres gonna be 4 122AH marine batteries inside the box along with the panels on top. Im pretty sure the 12T could handle it as long as theres not really long steep hills to climb. I imagine the 10T could handle the setup the way it is right now with just 2 marine batteries inside the box but once again not up steep hills. I run my 10T on a 60v 20AH LFP pack and its top speed is 31 - 33 mph depending on 7the riding position and the 12T should go roughly 25 - 27 mph on 60v which is fine by me since I really dont want the hauling bike to go too fast while hauling for obvious reasons. And the takeoffs....most cars dont beat me across 6 lane intersections with the 10T and the ones that do usually are in front by not even half the length of the vehicle so the 10T is a powerful hub to say the least. I cant wait to buy the 12T and see how it does :twisted:

For really nice torque, you chuck the clutch and planetary gears. Then get a really slow motor, and hit it with 4000w. No worries about overheating, because you get going so quick.

2810 9 continent on plenty of 72v amps is real nice. And it still goes 30 mph.

Ive looked for a 9C 2810 rear wheel and cant seem to find one anywhere let alone the slower 2812 and since EM3 no longer has the DD kits with slower windings its going to be even harder to get ahold of one. I dont want a clyte hub either because of the price so thats out of the question.

+1 on dogman's comment.

If you want "getaway from the pack at the start" acceleration, don't think of a geared motor because eventually the clutch will wear down. It did with me. :oops:

Back