• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Magnetic field detection / measurement

roller

1 W
For Android users -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxcom.magdetector

Max Magnetic Field Detector

cheap (free?) app to use your phone for measuring mag fields. Very sensitive (micro-Tesla).

Use to compare magnets (neo from a distance!), or suss out saturation on your stators.

Question for you droid guys... what droid phone would you recommend?

bigmoose said:

I have the Galaxy S3 in an otterbox case. Love it. Great for folks with larger uncoordinated fingers. Was $199 on an upgrade, and something like $12 a year at radioshack for a replace without question insurance. Its about a 100 dollar deductible though. No matter what phone you end up with, I highly recommend the otterbox. Makes the external buttons easier to get at and is super tough. Its been dropped onto our concrete shop floor countless times, run over by a truck (just pushed it screen down into soft dirt, kinda cheating) and countless other things. Getting it on and off the phone is a bit of an art though, but once its on it does not go anywhere.

bigmoose said:

if you like to have a lot of options, and the best bang for the buck...i would go with the Google Nexus 4.

OK, learning more... you guys are going to laugh. I have held out all these years with my simple flip phone. 5 years ago, Luke almost had me convinced to get a droid, but I held out. I don't think we even had texting on the plan back then. I kept saying to the kids... "phones are for speaking, email for writing..." laughing yet? :mrgreen: Then the kids paid for texting... I sort of like it now...

So my oldest graduated a year ago, and since she is working, she can have anything she wants as long as she pays for it... she got an iPhone 5. Now the youngest is graduating, and she is going the iPhone 5 route too. As for me, there will never be an apple product in my warm, clutching hands...

So with 2 kids going smartphone, it now makes more sense for the wifey and I to do it also. She has been hi jacked by the two girls and is going iPhone so she has "something in common" with them...

I told the oldest last night that I was going to follow this president's policy and institute a family "happiness tax" on the younger generation for funding the growing "smart phone deficit reduction plan." She didn't laugh much... :twisted:

I am stuck on Verizon. They said I could activate any smartphone on their network, but my looking shows it isn't cost effective to buy something new somewhere else... perhaps I missed something there?

So here are the choices I have:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=1

To add to the recommendations, Luke recommend to me in IM the Samsung Galaxy Note II

Thanks for your input.
All the best,
Caveman bigMoose ... who tried to ignore the digital revolution.

Heh, ya thats what happens when you try to ignore Electronics, it moves so fast and kicks you in the butt, later.

I can not really help you with Verizon, since i dont live in the US. However, when i was living there a few years back i remembered that Verizon was the only company that didnt have SIM cards, i dont know how it is now. If they do, i think you should be able to use any phone.
Pros of buying from Verizon:
- cheaper price
Cons of buying from Verizon:
- you have to extend your contract
- you get Verizon branding, which could include Bloatware
- incase of resell, only Verizon customers can use it

It might have changed but that was when i use to live in the US, back in 2007.

In the long run it doesnt sound like youre going to switch phones anytime soon :p so you can also try here for some Verizon branded phones.
http://wireless.newegg.com/mobile/verizon-wireless.aspx?referringdomain=newegg&refcode1=EGG_9999_001_LNav_VZWDeals&name=verizon-deals

Dont get fooled by the price because that usually counts if you want a new contract, but if you want to extend your contract you pay more. I hope i could help somewhat, even though i dont really deal with Verizon.

I'm enjoying my Google Nexus 4, $350 unlocked, awesome screen, and very fast pocket computer. It would be nice if it had a removable SD card, but it's not really necessary. I used scissors to cut down my sim card from my HTC Legend (a very slow android phone, with a buggy touchscreen design).

I took Luke's and Farfle's advice... and got the Samsung S3, though Luke has the Note, but it was a bit too large for me. I am learning... and learning... and like it!

The time my first call came in... I couldn't answer it. Had to go on youtube to learn you don't "punch" the little green phone icon, you slide it to the middle ... :oops: Seems like I'm running around with a pancakeonmyhead... :pancake:

Back