Making a CC/CV charger

fechter said:
I did make a bit more sophisticated limiter circuit designed for Meanwell supplies, but it would work for most supplies if you can find the right spot to make the voltage sensing connection. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21768

The simple transistor version should be good enough for battery charging, again if you can find the right spot to tie in.

The transistor plan with potentiometer is working great, Thanks for sharing !! I am using your set up to drive 4 cny17-4 opto's to control 4 dell PSU's in series its holding amp draw well. but one out of the 4 PSU's stays high while the others are compensating. Still swaping parts etc. all check good, may be bad resistors from radio shack ??

The potentiometer is very sensative if not right, amps drops low to high with sight adjustment. I am thinking more shunt drop.

Right now the driven side of the 4 opto's is in series, is paralell better ?

Hey Thank's again,

Pete

Optos should stay in series, this keeps the current in each one equal.

It's not too surprising that one supply is not tracking since the sensing operates over a very narrow range. A resistor in series with the opto output will help with that. I don't think it's a big problem if they don't track perfectly as long a there aren't heating issues.

Using a lower shunt resistance may help make the adjustment less sensitive. The other solution is to measure the resistance of the pot when it's at the desired point, then replace the pot with a lower value one and add fixed resistors to each side to get the right value. This will make the adjustment range narrower and less sensitive. The other solution is to use a 10 turn trimmer pot.

All is wired up as suggested I think its just a matter of tweaking the R value's here and there.

Thanks again for the all the help

Back