Mark's pre-rebuild electric bike help thread

markw

10 W
Hello friends,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my bike into a Vector frame and I'm very excited about it! My understanding of these systems is very little so I thought I would make a quick post over-viewing the system for your approval. The goal here is to have a 24s/36Ah battery pushing thru my 18fet 4110 Lyen low RDS controller with CA V3 into my MXUS 4t 45mm stator motor. I'd like to push max 70a thru this system to cap watts around 6900. I'll organize my questions by component.

Motor: Using the stock phase wires with 4mm bullets (male) as the connector type - will this be okay? I've seen recommendations to "splice" the phase wires with some heavier stuff - an easy enough process - would it be worth it? What advantages would be noticed from the process? I've pushed 20s/70a across many miles with this motor before and it only gets warm - will the extra 4s contribute extra heat if the amp draw remains the same?

Controller: I will be balancing my cells to 4.1v/4.15 to try to leave a little headroom for the controller's max voltage capacities. Do you think my 18fet 4110 will be okay here? I've read of people pushing 24s thru these controllers without issue before.
4mm bullets (female) for phase wire connectors. 45a Anderson for the battery connection terminals. I'll probably want to swap these for something heavier with antispark - any suggestions? I looked on hobbyking for something beefy but nothing came up. I've tried XT-90 with antispark and couldn't get them to work with my 20s setup on my old battery.

Battery: Human BMS / bestech BMS? I already have a harness which parallels the packs and brings them to a 8x plug 45a anderson pp harness. Then I have a discharge plug which brings the packs into series with 100a fuse and a charge plug which just parallels them. I also will be building a couple of 3x 6s balance plugs for easy bulk balancing and bulk monitoring. This system was all well and good when I could just open up my battery bag and connect/configure, but now that I'm using a real frame, I'm wondering if it's not going to be feasible anymore. Most people using these frames setup a charge plug somewhere on the bike and that's it. Any people using these frame types with a similar setup? Pictures? :)

Anticipating the problems with using a human BMS in a static frame like the vector, I'm pretty interested in setting up a BMS with my LiPo. I could just grab a Max-E but I know there are a lot of guys here who do really well with a bestech BMS. My understanding of wiring one up is limited. If anyone has any used 24s BMS that could handle 70a for sale, feel free to chime in or send me a message. When you buy from bestech, do you just email them? Are the large HXT plugs with wires provided with the sale? Where would I grab such connectors? Again, any similar threads or pictures of these setups would really help me in my journey here.

Vector frame is on the way, I'll definitely post some pictures and document the rebuild process. Excited to turn my ugly ebike into something presentable! Thank you all so much for your help and guidance.

Drunkskunk said:
Sounds like an awesome build.

The controller should be fine once the traces have been beefed up. I've pushed double that power through one. I use 6mm connectors. they tend to wear out quick, but are cheap and make a good solid connection.

I could definitely beef up the traces no problem, plenty of time before supplies arrive. I haven't thought to open it up since I've only been up to 70a. But, overall it probably would be a good idea.

Do you use the 6mm bullets for battery connection or phase connection? Honestly I could use them for both and they'd be pretty solid. I like bullet style connection types - corrosion from sparks worries me far less than terminal based connections like andersons. Thanks for the tip mate I'll definitely pick some up with my HK order.

Back