• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Mauimart - Mid-mount Hub Build

mauimart

100 W
I finally got around to starting my next build. It's a 2004 Specialized Big Hit which will be powered via a two-speed mid mounted hub motor. The plan is to attach everything using a bolt-on strategy--no welding or punching holes into the original roller. Initial setup will be as follows:

- #35 drive train with a direct drive ratio between 1.5:1 and 2:1 (future plans for belt drive - PolyChain)
- 72V to 100V, up to 2kWh battery, possibly HK lipo or Enerdel
- controller unknown, possibly a home build down the road
- will maintain the 2-speed capability with possible future plans to mod it for single speed once I have some actual motor performance data

I have begun with some renderings and mock-up parts cut from wood.

Attachments

• Assem2a.JPG
    Assem2a.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,178
  • Assem2b.JPG
    Assem2b.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 2,178
  • Assem2c.JPG
    Assem2c.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,178
  • Assem2d.JPG
    Assem2d.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 699
  • 20131216_180224.jpg
    20131216_180224.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 20131216_180349.jpg
    20131216_180349.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 20131216_180520.jpg
    20131216_180520.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,178
  • 20131215_195035.jpg
    20131215_195035.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,178
Great concept man! This looks like a really well balanced build.

Are you using a laser to cut those wood mock ups, or do you really love drilling holes? :lol:

That's beautiful frame, I can see why you don't want to hack into it...

etard said:
Great concept man! This looks like a really well balanced build.

Are you using a laser to cut those wood mock ups, or do you really love drilling holes? :lol:

That's beautiful frame, I can see why you don't want to hack into it...

Yes, the wood parts were cut on a laser. I forgot to mention that I have access to some pretty incredible machine tools--waterjet, CNC mill, CNC lathe, laser cutter, ironworker, and 3D printers. Once the design has been solidified I will cut the motor mount brackets out of 0.25" aluminum on the waterjet.

Wow. Super clean mockup! Anybody have anything to say about those big cells? Look pretty impressive!

Very nice. Looking at that big hit makes me think I could do the very same with a norco savage frame I have reserved for my future middrive design. Subscribed

spinningmagnets said:
Is that one of John in CRs "mini monsters"? Either way, it should be a climbing beast with that much copper...

That is indeed the motor. I am looking for it to do around 6kW continuous with bursts up to 10 kW.

ohhh, i like it!!!

If it could be made out of wood for good .........i wood --lol---be happy,,, no cnc or goodies..

i have a 1000w Golden i may try to take from the rear to middrive on a Novara-----(may be too big]---the monster is nice!!!!

i really want to make something like an e-tote goat or Rokon..... for the high desert

Looking good Mauimart. I could never build a mockup that nice, because I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to ride it.

With your skills and tools I'd consider mocking up a swingarm to fit the motor before making a final decision. If you're shooting for that kind of power having the motor torque anchored from outside of the swingarm, I believe the motor torque pulling on the chain will have large effects on the rear suspension. You'll probably need the longer wheelbase anyway.

nice engineered parts!

how heavy is that motor and what kv?

I would mill the motor round to not get hurt if someone get in touch with the spinning housing.

I guess my mind is still thinking about my mac conversion where the axle does spin. Sorry about that.

Any more updates on this build?

Back