Maxwell EPO (Grindz, Troy Rank)

Rodney64 said:
Troy, I like the concept and I'm going to support you. Endless sphere please share this.

Rodney, this is amazing. I have no idea how I'm going to ship it to Australia, but we'll figure it out I guess :)

I love this bike, as it is a lot like one of my builds. I tend to ride my mountain bike a bit more than the road bike, because, why not?

I know a light weight around town road bike isn't the thing for most people here at ES, but the way I ride, there is no reason for an ebike to be over 30lbs.

http://www.gizmag.com/maxwell-epo-e-bike/38248/

It is a kickstarter of course - it is nice seeing some people follow their passions and create something fun, I wish them luck!

Cute little box for the controller. I just like clean, simple, light weight designs...

aca2f2d519ace28a1065a062c00d7574_original.jpeg

I really like how the classic and modern design meets, the result is extremely clean.

I have a basic question. Is that on the photo the single geared one?

So if you are pedalling and you stand up the feet, doesn't it the motor still working because the PAS?

There is any emergency controller cut?

Dude, its a kickstarter. If it is anything like Storm, the specs will change. LOL

I see a throttle cable hanging off that bike, which is how my rides are. I'm not involved with the kickstarter though.

I did make a single speed similar to this. At small power, a controller cut off is not critical, but it is easy to insert one on the brake line. Maybe someday I'll put a PAS on, but I like being able to turn the small motor on or off on a light bike.

Nobuo said:
I really like how the classic and modern design meets, the result is extremely clean.

I have a basic question. Is that on the photo the single geared one?

So if you are pedalling and you stand up the feet, doesn't it the motor still working because the PAS?

There is any emergency controller cut?

kd8cgo said:
Here's the thread about the bike and the member who's building it: Maxwell EPO (Grindz, Troy Rank)

It's a very nice bike!!

Oops, this is a duplicate then. Glad to know they are in the community and know what they are doing. How cool is that? I love it!

Now, if they price it at $499, I'm sure they will be able to sell thousands of them. ;)

Nobuo said:
I have a basic question. Is that on the photo the single geared one? So if you are pedalling and you stand up the feet, doesn't it the motor still working because the PAS There is any emergency controller cut?

Single speed is not the same thing as fixed gear.

A single speed has a single gear, but also a freewheel, meaning the bike can keep moving, but the chain and the pedals will not move, stopping the PAS sensor if there is one (But the OP says that there isn't)

A fixed gear means there is still only one gear, and it is fixed to the hub, presenting the rider the problem you just described.

I really like the bike, OP. I've been bike-less for about 4 months now after some reliability issues. You've given me inspiration to rebuild a new model with as few parts as possible (hence fewest opportunities for something to break.

Looking at the kickstarter site the cheapest pledge to get the bike is $1300 and only delivers inside USA only, estimated delivery is June 2016 (almost 1 year from now)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxwellmotorbikes/maxwell-ep0-ultralightweight-electric-bicycle

I can't help but think its not that hard to use a dolphin battery case that has a controller built in and a 250w kit with PAS only on a fixie etc bike and you wouldn't be far off in a very short time.

Or if you really want that specific triangle battery pack just like what they have just get some one on this forum to fabricate it for you I think some one would be willing to do it for less then $400. Then you could have a bike close to this in 1 month and have access to spare parts since you already know where you bought the kit from.

I know there trying to sell it but I like to see upfront honesty in these kickstater campaigns and looking at the photos I think they were a tad deceptive in choosing darkish backgrounds where the battery pack sits, not a single white background to give you an accurate idea straight off the bat.

I think I would prefer a kickstarter where they were just trying to sell a series of super nice adjustable battery triangle boxes like what they are aiming for with it sitting just above the crank, they just have to borrow the controller setup etc from the dolphin 09 battery case. Maybe something made out of thick black leather would be the go.

I married the pics here into 1....

Attachments

• maxwell_epo.jpg
    maxwell_epo.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • maxwell_epo2.jpg
    maxwell_epo2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2,210
TheBeastie said:
I know there trying to sell it but I like to see upfront honesty in these kickstater campaigns and looking at the photos I think they were a tad deceptive in choosing darkish backgrounds where the battery pack sits, not a single white background to give you an accurate idea straight off the bat.

They explain it in the video. That is the case for the controller, not the battery. Batteries are in the frame (how sweet is that?)

Sunder said:
I really like the bike, OP. I've been bike-less for about 4 months now after some reliability issues. You've given me inspiration to rebuild a new model with as few parts as possible (hence fewest opportunities for something to break.

That is the way my bikes are. Small motor, small controller, small battery, simple throttle. Ya can't even tell its an ebike (other than the frame bag like the kind that tends to be popular on fat bikes). Some are even single speed (not FG), which means they can't both boost my speed by 5mph and be easy to pedal without the motor.

grindz145 said:
Hyena said:
Good luck with the campaign Troy, it looks really clean :)
I like the name too. Is that cheeky reference to cyclists who blood dope with EPO ?

If not you should totally run with it.
"If you're going to cheat with EPO make it the Maxwell EPO. At least you won't have a heart attack" :lol:

I have no idea what you're talking about..... It stands for Electric Powered Zero...... I would never.....

That's the official story.

LOL. you know, it is people like you who inspire the UCI to start stripping down bike frames to see if they are doped with a battery and motor inside the frame. Ha!

I had a lot of fun with fireworks yesterday :twisted:

[youtube]_plsbmPD-xA[/youtube]

8 in the morning, my neighbors we not pleased... they're used to it though

Troy needs to sell about 100 bicycles in 14 days. Or considerably less, if there's a glut of buyers for the higher end offerings... Any sales and marketing types on the board? I kinda want to see this thing succeed with a vengeance, and had I not just spent thousands on conversions, I would be in for one already. Thoughts, ideas? Doom, gloom?

kd8cgo said:
Troy needs to sell about 100 bicycles in 14 days. Or considerably less, if there's a glut of buyers for the higher end offerings... Any sales and marketing types on the board? I kinda want to see this thing succeed with a vengeance, and had I not just spent thousands on conversions, I would be in for one already. Thoughts, ideas? Doom, gloom?

Hehe... Before I graduated as a ("CGA") accountant I walked away from a local college (shortly before IT - Ryerson - graduated to a degree granting "university") with a Certificate in Marketing. (Went to my first university to be an electrical engineer.) Gotta figure out how to get Master Troy to come across the pond (Lake Ontario, from Rochester to Toronto) to "sell to the rich" just by having demonstrations on our "Bay Street" at lunch times (where the "wealthy" tend to work). LOTS of folks with lots of $$$ but maybe not mechanically inclined.

kd8cgo said:

Yeah, the kickstarter is a bit of a long shot now, but it's just the start. Justin is anti-kickstarter anyway, so at least if mine fails, I'll still retain some report with him.

There's other ways to fund the project, it just may be slower, I'm pretty much already maximum sleep deprivation mode :)

It's just the costs to certify all this stuff. It's really high. 150k would be just enough to delivery the bikes and pay or the testing.

What do you guys think about a down-payment model? Would that help?

grindz145 said:

Call it "modified financing" maybe. Bankers *love* a fat order book w/folks already stepping up to put their "money where their mouth is". Yes?

Locally, ebike retailers are already financing purchase (with a thing termed "good credit rating") for near 1/2 of monthly cost of pubic transportation. (Sorry. Again. Darned "spell check". Meant to say "public" here.)

LockH said:
grindz145 said:

Call it "modified financing" maybe. Bankers *love* a fat order book w/folks already stepping up to put their "money where their mouth is". Yes?

Locally, ebike retailers are already financing purchase (with a thing termed "good credit rating") for near 1/2 of monthly cost of pubic transportation. (Sorry. Again. Darned "spell check". Meant to say "public" here.)

Kickstarter's policy strictly prohibits financing stuff in general, but a reservation model seems to be OK... not sure... probably going to do it anyway.

grindz145 said:
Kickstarter's policy strictly prohibits financing stuff in general, but a reservation model seems to be OK... not sure... probably going to do it anyway.

Hmmm... Plan B maybe? There are more than one area ebike retailer I might trust (good product, been in business for years) who might agree to be an "independent third-party" to collect and hold (record buyers name and address) any and all monies received? For their own biz maybe a chance to "make a splash" in the Ebike World?

If that quikbyke thing succeeds after our kickstarter fails, I will kill myself. That's a promise.

Better lodge with the FDA for certification as well. Sounds like possible side effects of EPO withdrawal include suicidal tendencies :p

Troy, on a vaguely related note, I'm curious why you've gone with the name Maxwell motorbikes ? Considering this is one of the stealthiest most bicycle looking ebikes around, it's pretty much the polar opposite of an electric motorbike (unlike some of the monstrous high powered bikes many members here try to pass off as bicycles) . Do you have plans for more motorbikey things in the future ?

Hyena said:
Better lodge with the FDA for certification as well. Sounds like possible side effects of EPO withdrawal include suicidal tendencies :p

Troy, on a vaguely related note, I'm curious why you've gone with the name Maxwell motorbikes ? Considering this is one of the stealthiest most bicycle looking ebikes around, it's pretty much the polar opposite of an electric motorbike (unlike some of the monstrous high powered bikes many members here try to pass off as bicycles) . Do you have plans for more motorbikey things in the future ?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back