Melb Australia Group ride Sat 10th Nov 2012

Dang... n I was just about to put pink streamers in the handle bars :(

If something with more grunt appears in the stable before you arrive I'll let you know :p

Be rapt if you make it, no matter what the steed.

Joe

So that's who bought the skateboard off him....

I was on mine the other day, smashing it out on an open field and gravel tracks in the dark with no lights, fear of deity type stuff. Really exhilarating, but potentially fatal.

Always practice on the grass, Newtonian laws are in full effect when you launch off the board. You can't conceive just how much shit you're in until you come off at speed.

One does simply stop, you superman.

We have to attend an e-bike Conversion Demo at CERES in Brunswick at 1.30 (should be there at 1 really) on the 10th.. I hope that will work ok with the timing of your ride. Would anyone like to bring their e-bike along to that, to show off? ;) Maybe we can ride in that direction..

Looks like I now have work commitments on the Saturday so unfortunately I wont be able to make the ride. Not happy. :(

However, if anyone is interested in a second Sunday ride down in the in the Eastern suburbs, I would be more then happy to map out a nice circuit.

I am thinking about a run through the Mullum Mullum trail which has a great mix of bike path plus some fun off-road detours if you want to chalenge yourself a bit. Ringwood station is quite close by and could be a good meeting point. There is also a car parking area just off Deep Creek Road that would work as a meeting point too. Maybe lunch and refreshments at the Coach and Horses.

Not trying to hijack the main ride Sam, just an option for those who cant make the main ride. :) Also could maybe schedule this one for the next Melbourne Group Ride. Anyway just a thought. :)

t3sla said:
Always practice on the grass, Newtonian laws are in full effect when you launch off the board. You can't conceive just how much shit you're in until you come off at speed...

Having recently (6 July) used Newtonian laws and my poor skateboard skills to break my humerous, can I suggest some caution is warranted. I have now had my brace on for 4 months, and it looks likely to be 6 or more months until I am allowed to remove it. Haven't been able to ride the entire time. Goodness knows what I would have done if I actually needed full movement to earn a crust - rather than being a keyboard jockey.

Still, I'm going to make the (thankfully short) trip across to one or other of the boathouses to say giddy, and check out some of these fancy Ebikes. Just wont be going that far on a ride....

On a related matter; I am wondering what damage, if any, this 6 month lay-off will be doing to my LiFePO4 battery (headways). ??? I am 'topping it up' by charging it every two weeks or so. It only takes about 5 mins of charging, so clearly the self discharge is not too bad... Is it likely to cause any longer term damage??

Hi All,
Caught a lergie (bug - dunno about the spelling) 2 weeks ago and was coughing so hard that I gave myself an inguinal hernia. :shock:
I hope that you don't have a weak stomach. Here's a bit more info:
[youtube]lFC0AWkY1p0[/youtube]
The tube that is pulled to one side is the testes supply line and we don't want to get that nicked. :cry:
I go under the knife the Friday following the ride, so I'll see if I can get on and off the train with my bike. With a bit of luck I'll be there.

ElectricEd said:
Hi All,
Caught a lergie (bug - dunno about the spelling) 2 weeks ago and was coughing so hard that I gave myself an inguinal hernia. :shock:
I hope that you don't have a weak stomach.
The tube that is pulled to one side is the testes supply line and we don't want to get that nicked. :cry:
I go under the knife the Friday following the ride, so I'll see if I can get on and off the train with my bike. With a bit of luck I'll be there.

Ok already, a broken arm doesn't cut it clearly. You win. Please, no one try and out do this one....

Hey no offence Kepler - sorry about work! Go for it.
And sorry to see you were crook Ed, I think it might be the same one that brought my family down a fortnight ago.

Let's hope the good weather we saw on the weekend returns!

Hi Kepler,
We'd be interested in a Sunday ride, as our Saturday ride may be cut a bit short by work commitments.
We live in Warrandyte, and I haven't done the Mullum Mullum trail yet (yeah, a bit slack really!).. Would be nice to do it with another local e-bike enthusiast :)
Look forward to hearing your plans.
Cheers,
RevBecca

I'm still up in the air unfortunately - my business in town (and thus flights) still haven't been confirmed so I won't know until later in the week if I'll be able to attend. I'm still hoping to get there for Saturday but if that doesn't happen and I can get there for Sunday I'll be keen for that ride.

Hey everyone. Looking forward to the group ride. I'll probably catch up with you all at the Convent.

BTW is anyone interested in a >2kw >50kph dual suspension ebike. If anyone is interested I'll bring it along to the group ride for people to play with.

- Adrian

----------------------------

This bike used to be my daily ride to and from work, but since I prefer light weight friction drive style bikes now, this beast is just gathering dust in my garage. Which is frankly a waste.
Here is what she looks like ready to rock with a 20s5Ah battery under the seat (ignore the aluminium camera mount hanging out the back)

file.php

Here are the rough specs:
- Giant AC dual suspensions frame, Manitou Stance front forks
- 6" travel front and back to smooth out the world under your wheels
- Crystalyte 408 direct drive hub, a super reliable stealthily quiet motor
- Gatorbrake disc brakes up front to pull up and avoid the surprises in life
- 6fet Lyen Mini Monster controller, currently set up for 20s LiPo and 40 Amps.
- Nice big chainring so you can hapilly contribute with your legs even at 50+ kph
- Cycle Analyst to satisfy your nerdy need for ebike stats
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires front and back, for comfy puncture free road riding grip
- mud guards front and back, to cater for Melbourne weather
- 3 speed switch to tame the bike for noobs

It's life story can be found in the link in my signature.

Wooooh!

RevBecca, dead keen on seeing CERES so may take you up on that "offer" if you guys ride that way...

Adrian_sm... like the dually :) I will prolly be bringing a low powered Dually in as my ride... Hopefully have some teaser pics before Sat'day... just finished the harness and took it for a test burn around the block, but wanna get some mid frame battery mounting done and some bling added before the pics come out... I would really love to see your friction drive machine, so hoping you can bring that, but what will be will be.

I've got commitments Sunday Morning but if you guys are anywhere about on a Sunday ride I will try to catch up then as well.

Joe

PS/Edit Hey Adrian_sm.. having just spent some time getting a disc adaptor setup working on a cohnis style DD... Possibly MAY be able to sort out a disc rear end for your dual beast now that I have some experience under my belt and if you're keen.

I've been crap at updating the facebook page - but finally did at least with a link back to this thread....
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Melbourne-Ebike-Riders/399974606718948?ref=ts&fref=ts

Weather looking good at this stage!

I'm going to cheat a bit on the first leg - I will start at Fed Square but take a direct route to the Convent prob along Albert and Nicholson Sts or the like - that Yarra river leg from Fed Square to the Convent was pretty hard going last time and I'm bringing a bone rattler on 28c tyres this time and only about 25km of batteries.

I'm actually gonna take advantage of parking at the convent at about 9am and leg it into Fed square so my van is close to the finish point.

Adrian, will park on the lawn at the convent like last time.

Anyone else meeting up along the way?

Looks like I'm out now too guys, my meeting has fallen through so looks like I won't be in Melbourne until the following weekend now.
Ah well, next time!

full-throttle said:
Samd said:
Anyone else meeting up along the way?
I was thinking of riding the commuter to Fed Sq in the morning from Clifton Hill, meet up with everyone, ride to the convent, then switch bikes and ride the 2nd part.

Switch bikes on a group ride.

Dam, that's hard to out do, I won't try group riding with the skateboard. It won't end well are we finishing or starting near a park that would make for a safer demo play zone for drag racing.

Also keen for both days of riding, was going to spend the weekend on the bike anyway.... :cool:

We should have an award for most bike switches.

Best ghetto outfit for most duct tape (measured in kilos) gets a free coffee or beer from me :)

^^mmmmm sweeeeet New LiPo ..... Drool :)

Yerp, planning on being at Fed Sq n riding groupwise from there...

Am planning on packing 2 sets of 10s 8ah Lipo spare, n possibly a reconfigerable 6s/15ah - 9s/10ah -12s/5ah pack if I finish it in time, so some options if peeps run outta range...

Hey Hyena, shame ya cant make it, but I am sure if you let us know if yer coming down the following weekend at least one of us''d be rapt to catch up n poss go for a cruise... If yer really good, I'll let you use the "shop-bike" (rockshox front, hardtail rear, rear dd drive, and I'll boost it to 1-1.5kw just for you so ya don't compromise yer health :)

Joe

har har Samd, ya got me thinking now...

I should have 4 bikes up by the weekend... mebbe I should leave one at various stages and do the run "quarterhorse" style.... :twisted:

Joe

Bike switch actually sounds cool. I could do the friction drive road bike or single speed for the first half, then jump on the dually so we can compare full-throttles GNG mid drive to a multi kw rear hub.
Just need to work out how to get the two bikes in, and home.

@Samd. What bike are you riding with 28c's? Guessing not the Aprilla. If I get my arse into gear, I may meet up with you @9am at the convent, and ride in with you.

@winkinatcha. I don't use the bike enough to bother setting up the rear disc brake, and regen braking is good enough for the roads along with the huge disc upfront.

@ElectricEd. :shock: Man that sucks. I have had coughing fits for the last week with some bug. Now I am friggin' afraid to cough. Good luck with the Op.

@RevBecca. CERES @ 1:30pm sounds cool. I might come along, but depends on how much fun or beer is on offer on the group ride.

Thinking about it more, I'll probably just bring a friction drive bike for the ride, unless the main plan for the yarra trails is off road. Unless I dump my dually at full-throttles place for the old switch-a-roo mid ride.

Had an unexpected mini group ride tonight on the Main Yarra Trail tonight :D

First, I caught up a rider and noticed he's got a friction drive. We stopped to have a chat and another rider went past. Followed him and we eventually pulled over, tried each other's bikes, were having a chat when yet another rider that I've met a couple of times came past and stopped to say hello.

7Nov12.jpg

Nice
I ran into a guy who had a hi-powered cycle last night.

He paid $750 to import it.... dam

All this friendly sportsmanship of one upping is bringing me closer to having to utilize my trump card and deliver some mail in a group ride :evil:

I'm frantically trying to fix my ride up to make it, but I think Saturday's coming too quick. Would have been great to be part of it.

I'm still diagnosing why after 30 mins of riding I lose all power; wait 5 mins and it's back for another 5. Probably a faulty cap in the controller :-(

Sounds like the BMS hitting LVC on a cell.

Back