• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Middrive, geared hubmotor or gng 450?

TomHed50

1 mW
Whats the best choice between these two alternatives?
I have to be able to pedal the bike sometimes (with minimum drag), i have a dd hubmotor( magic pie) now and theres to much drag i think

Would a mac 6t work?

Gear shimano alfine or standard freewheel,deraillur?

TomHed50 said:
Whats the best choice between these two alternatives?
I have to be able to pedal the bike sometimes (with minimum drag), i have a dd hubmotor( magic pie) now and theres to much drag i think

Would a mac 6t work?

Gear shimano alfine or standard freewheel,deraillur?

I was out on my MAC 10T today, and was actually thinking how well the MAC freewheels. It really is that good.
It's fitted to a Specialized Hardrock, with a DNP 11T freewheel, and integrates with the standard derailleur very nicely.
I get 27mph @ 48v with a 30A 9 fet controller.
There's no fannying about with changing gears. I keep mine on the 11T and power my way up hills using throttle only.
Only big big hills need any help on the pedals.
You would seriously be very impressed with the torque these little beauties deliver.

The geared hub has better efficiency and get's you farther for less. On the other hand, the mid drive will get you up the steepest of hills. In general, a MTB is suited for a mid drive and a commuter bike is suited for a geared hub, but rules can be broken for the sake of fun factor. Do you intend to pop wheelies?

Not really pop wheelies but would be nice with 30mph.
More important is efficency, i pedal/ebike to work(18miles) so good speed and distance

The plan is fairly light wheels with motor and batt centralized on the bike
Would it be much drag with a hubmotor middrive?
I have a controller for up to 90volt and will probably use a 60v lipo battery

Do u have any suggestions on energyeffiecent geared hm?(topspeed ~26-33)
A middrive setup should be easier on the gears in the hub?

Are gngs hard on the battery? How far would i come with a 60v15ah and 29mph?
Are gngs easy to pedal without battery on?

I've experimented with both Gen 1 and Gen 2 GNGs. The Gen2 is not as powerful as a 500w geared hub-motor and a Gen 1 is about the same. A geared hub-motor would be a much better option for general commuting and riding. Your unlikely to find a hill that a 500W one won't cllimb. My main bike now has a Bafang 500W CST motor that has the fixing for cassette gears, which means no changes to your gearing. It's very smooth, quiet and drag-free. The GNG can go faster down-hill because it always gives full power, regardless of speed. The downside is that you tend to use more power so your range suffers. IMHO the GNG is better for off-road use, where you get very steep hills and jumps etc. There's quite a lot of routine maintenance on the GNG with chain tension and checking the belt. The Bafang BPM is also very good and much cheaper than a MAC.
You can make a very light bike with a hub-motor like this one with 20aH 36v battery and Bafang CST. It weighs about 22kg. Top speed is about 22mph and would be about 29mph at 48v. The battery is very low and mainly in front of the rear axle so handling is good - no need for complicated central battery.
20121230_202032_zps37c92290-1_zpsa34efc4e.jpg

I have a similar question as the OP but regarding a small wheel bike. If I were to convert a 24" or 20" wheel bike for road use, does the same recommendations apply? Would the hubmotor still provide good speed on a smaller wheel, or would a gng kit be better to get some pedal assist at higher speeds?

Back