Mongoose CB 24V450 - Upgrade to NiMH Battery Pack

knightmb

100 kW
Yes, I couldn't resist. I'm going to test it's range tomorrow at the park to see what, if any, advantage the NiMH battery pack will give. It's already half the weight to begin with, that may help a little.

Basically, it went from (2) 12 Volt @ 12AH SLA batteries, to (1) 24 Volt @ 12 AH NiMH Pack.

Screen shots below for fun.

Attachments

• battery_case_charging.jpg
    battery_case_charging.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 10,024
  • battery_case_closed.jpg
    battery_case_closed.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 10,023
  • battery_case_02.jpg
    battery_case_02.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10,023
  • battery_case_01.jpg
    battery_case_01.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 10,011
  • battery_case_front.jpg
    battery_case_front.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10,013
Looking forward to hearing how this does. Do have a question though, if you were going to permanently put the NIMH battery in the case could you do it without having to make the holes in the case.

Meaning could the plug on the charger be changed to one that would fit the existing port with the temperature sensor perhaps going to the third leg of the plug.

Right now its got two legs to positive and one to negative I believe (looking at your photos, I forgot to take a close look at it when I had mine open). Seems that if the temperature sensor can be made to work on the third leg you could wire it all up in one neat little package.

What do you think?

EDIT: Just looked closer at the wiring and I think the answer is probably no, seems the controller is using the third leg and the power switch thru its cable.

Yeah, one could wire up that plug for the charger to work with the NiMH, that would still leave the temperature sensor though. The temperature sensor could actually be installed inside the case and just get a nice and neat "port" to put in one of those holes and wire up the charger so that it plugs into the port for the temperature sensor. It would look much better than what I did. I don't mind the melted holes because I'm testing all kinds of weird things on the bike. :twisted: :twisted:

I was not meaning to imply that what you were doing was wrong or anything I was just thinking ahead for myself. Because if I ever got one of those batteries someday it would be to replace the existing batteries for good. Thats what got me to thinking about it.

I know you are using yours as a test bed to help us all and I am sure before your done there will be quite a few changes to that bike. :p

Elmweaver said:
I was not meaning to imply that what you were doing was wrong or anything I was just thinking ahead for myself. Because if I ever got one of those batteries someday it would be to replace the existing batteries for good. Thats what got me to thinking about it.

I know you are using yours as a test bed to help us all and I am sure before your done there will be quite a few changes to that bike. :p

Oh, don't worry, I never take anything personally online. :wink:

Yeah, if I was going for something more permanent, you are exactly right I would certainly put some actually "plugs" in for that. After I'm done testing the NiMH pack, I'll probably try putting a 36 volt system on the bike and see how well the controller/motor can take it. From what I've read of others that have done this, the motor will overheat. I have an unused 36 volt @ 20 amp controller that I might experiment with. It will have a higher top speed, but less hill climbing because of the lower amps. That might help the heat issue with the motor in the back since it's swapping around the power level for more for top end speed, than hill climbing power.

Well you know looking at the pictures first thought that came to my mind was it looks like 3 more NIMH batteries could be added to the pack and still fit. So that would be a 27.6 volt pack?

Might not over heat the motor and who knows might even bump up the speed a 1-2mph. Of course charging it might be a problem.

EDIT: Ya, good idea with the 20A controller that might work, I was wondering how to get a 24V 10A one that would work with this bike and whether that would help me extend my range while still keeping my ultimate top speed.

Looks good, I'm wondering what's the weight difference.

Elmweaver said:
Well you know looking at the pictures first thought that came to my mind was it looks like 3 more NIMH batteries could be added to the pack and still fit. So that would be a 27.6 volt pack?

Might not over heat the motor and who knows might even bump up the speed a 1-2mph. Of course charging it might be a problem.

EDIT: Ya, good idea with the 20A controller that might work, I was wondering how to get a 24V 10A one that would work with this bike and whether that would help me extend my range while still keeping my ultimate top speed.

Yeah, could probably squeeze quite a few more "F" cells in that pack.

Well the best way to think of voltage and amps is like this. If had a large 300 lb crate on wheels. Say you had a basketball gym to roll this around on. Humans can run about 20 MPH in burst, so you start to push this heavy thing and say get up to 8 MPH. Well, you get your buddy to help, and now you can push it 12 MPH. You get a third buddy to help and now you can push this crate 16 MPH. Now, let's go on the extreme, I have 6 guys to push this heavy crate. Now, because I have 6 guys, this doesn't mean that adding a new guy increases the speed by 4 MPH every time. If it did, then that means 6 guys should be able to push this crate 32 MPH across that gym floor. We know that isn't possible. The best they could do if they all reached top speed is push that crate 20 MPH at most. Now even if we had a 100 people pushing this crate, it only means it will reach 20 MPH top speed.

But, what if we were pushing it up a steep hill. Who is more likely to push the crate up a steel hill at 20 MPH? 2 guys or 100 guys?

So apply this to voltage and amps. Think of the voltage as the "top" speed and the amps as "the number of guys pushing". If you have a 24 volt controller that has a 10 AMP limit, this means that under ideal conditions (flat ride area, no wind, etc) the bike could do for example 20 MPH. But when you factor in road to tire resistance, air resistance, wind, rider weight, etc. Then you soon discover that more amps is needed to move against the increased resistance.

A 10 amp controller would basically give you 10 X 24 = 240 watts of power maximum that the motor can use. The controller in these bikes we have are rated at 30 amps. So this means (if necessary), the controller can send up to 30 X 24 = 720 watts of power to that motor. Why so much power? Well to get the bike rolling from a dead stop,to climb steep hills, etc.

So does using less amps give you more range? Well yes and no. Since the maximum amount of power has been cut down by 480 watts, the bike will have very slow acceleration. Any steep inclines will probably bring the bike to a stop because it won't have enough power to move the bike forward. But on the flip side, if you ease up on the 30 amp controller and do the same "slow" acceleration as the 10 amp controller, you are basically using the same amount of power and thus getting the same low power usage.

What does this mean for travel distance? Well, in a straight head to head race on a level track, it will mean nothing. The 30 amp bike will accelerate faster than the 10 amp bike, but once they reach top speed they will both be using the same amount of power. They will get the same range, maybe the 10 amp bike will get an extra 100 feet of distance because it started out on a slower acceleration, but that would be it.

Basically, (for the same reason that free energy machines don't exist) energy in and energy out will always balance. So those (2) 24 volt batteries can hot rod around for a short distance or give you extended range if you cut down on power usage with gentle acceleration.

This is one major advantage that electric vehicles have over gas vehicles. Bigger engines in a gas vehicle means less gas mileage. Big power controllers in electric vehicles mean the same mileage no matter what. It all depends on how much power you are willing to spend in one time. If you hot rod around in an electric vehicle, you get less mileage. But that same vehicle can get great mileage if you are easier on the acceleration. Conversely, gas vehicles have a certain RPM range that the engine must turn before it reaches "maximum" efficiency but an electric motor is always in "maximum" efficiency no matter what RPM range you choose (within reason of course)

For electric systems, it all comes down to power (watts) is what really matters. The controller I have in my 24 volt e-bike will push out over 720 watts of power. It means it can do a solid 17 MPH no matter if I weight 100 lbs or 300 lbs. What I plan on doing later is changing it for a higher top speed. That's why I'm going to try a 36 volt controller at 20 amps. That means the max power it will send out is 36X20 = 720 watts of power. So it's identical to what the first controller was doing. The only difference is, I've sacrificed amps for volts. So now the motor will have a higher top speed, but will have less amps in which to "reach" that top speed. So maybe the bike will have a top speed 25 MPH. The difference will be in range. To keep the bike moving at 25 MPH will take more power (watts) than it did to keep the bike moving at 17 MPH. This means that if the controller was only spending 200 watts of power to keep the bike moving at 17 MPH, it make take 400 watts of power to keep it moving at 25 MPH. So basically I go faster, but I probably reduce my mileage by almost a third.

In the end, the motor will have power levels within it's acceptable operating range. It's a 450 watt motor with 900 watt peak, so in theory it shouldn't melt on me going faster since the total power going to it will only be raised by a small factor.

This is similar to when I was running 60 volts through a 36 volt controller by at quite a bit of reduced amps to keep it from melting. That same controller, I did try a 60 volt run at the maximum amps the controller could handle and it melted of course, was way too much for it. Heat (resistance) is always the enemy of all electronics :evil:

Mathurin said:
Looks good, I'm wondering what's the weight difference.

Before, the battery pack was 20 lbs (9 Kg) , now it's 11.5 lbs (5.2 Kg)

Changes the bike weight only by a little bit, it did weight 70 lbs, now probably weights more along like 57 (25.8 Kg) or 58 (26.3 Kg) lbs. I'll weigh it tomorrow before my test to get a more accurate measurement. Can't wait until tomorrow to give it a run. I rode it around the block on the NiMH today just for fun. The NiMH increased it's top speed from 17 to 19 MPH which was a surprise. Probably the pack keeps a higher voltage than the SLA, but after a good night for a charge, we will see how it performs tomorrow. What's funny, this NiMH pack is almost 3 years old now :D

I think its more a statement to the poor condition of the batteries that came with our bikes. Mine were 8 months old and I have no doubt in my mind they never received a topping charge at any time after they were put into the battery case. If even before then. I think last charge they had before I got it was at the battery factory.

It's certainly possible. These batteries, I found out recently, do have to be conditioned for at least 15 cycles to really start holding a good charge. You are probably closer to this than me as I only ride the bike a few times a week. Your batteries should be giving you some better mileage as time goes on.

Do they seem to be getting better or just staying about the same or worse?

How many miles do you think you have on them?

Well first trip was 2 miles before they went to red and the last ride for distance was 8.5 miles before red. So they have recovered some what.

I am on the 8th charge at present but its been raining everyday so I have not ridden in a couple days now. Figured it would be good to try and let my thumb heal up some also.

D-Man said:
What's funny, this NiMH pack is almost 3 years old now

How many miles do you think you have on them?

Over 17,000 miles spread over a 3 year period. I ride in bike clubs and other "cycling" events around TN. The bike will easily do a 62 mile ride or 100 mile ride if I just keep pace with the other cyclist. I probably ride a little more than what the average rider does. Also, the weight of this bike really gets you accustomed to the power needed to pedal it. When I switch back to a non-electric bike I almost pull a wheelie when I ride because I'm so use to the effort it takes to get these 70 lb e-bikes moving (pedal first controller). E-bikes are a great way to get into shape because you can adjust the power to either provide a small assist for a good workout or total assist to just drive it around like a motorcycle. Some days are better than others for me. I might use very little of the motor when I'm feeling great and other days I feel like crap and just drive it around with no effort, LOL.

D-Man said:
What's funny, this NiMH pack is almost 3 years old now
Is this the only pack of nimh you've owned or have you destroyed any nimh packs experimenting.
These are the original ones from 2004. Luckily, I haven't toasted these packs with any of the crazy experiments I've done in the past. What I've seen now though is that the 24 volt NiMH packs are up to 13AH over my old 12AH. I guess battery technology is getting better, they are ganing extra amp/hours it seems.

So as far a nimh cycles are concerned - How many do you think you have and will get out of them?

My understanding is their life is not measured in cycles but time. With 3 years being the general time limit of them. :cry:

EDIT:
Ok, now I am not sure, I could swear I read that but now can't find it again. Did find this at Battery University - "nickel-metal-hydride. We observe good performance at first but past 300-cycles, the readings starts to deteriorate rapidly. One can observe the swift increase in internal resistance and self-discharge after cycle count 700."

D-Man said:
So as far a nimh cycles are concerned - How many do you think you have and will get out of them?

I would have to estimate at least 500 by now. I use the bike about every day until the weather gets colder, so during the winter months I don't ride as much, but I do ride on the "polar bear racing team" as they call it in the bike club, LOL. That's when we do moonlight rides for 25 miles down Natchez Trace with lights, and lots of warm clothes.

Sometimes it's a short 6 mile trip, during bike club rides, it's more along 35 miles. For some of the "metric" and "century" rides, it's a lot more. The speedometer has been great at keeping my total mileage. But I kid you not, there are people in the bike club who ride 12,000 miles or more in a single year. So I'm only riding about a third as much as they do. These are people that ride 35 miles in the morning and then 35 miles in the evening. Even more on weekends.

Back to the charge cycles, back when I bought the batteries they said if I took care of them I could expect at least 600 cycles. So I'm either at the end of the life of the battery or the end of the life of good charge cycles where they just won't hold as much as they use to.

Elmweaver said:
My understanding is their life is not measured in cycles but time. With 3 years being the general time limit of them. :cry:

EDIT:
Ok, now I am not sure, I could swear I read that but now can't find it again. Did find this at Battery University - "nickel-metal-hydride. We observe good performance at first but past 300-cycles, the readings starts to deteriorate rapidly. One can observe the swift increase in internal resistance and self-discharge after cycle count 700."

Well, I wonder what kind of test conditions they were using. For example, is that 24/7 process of charge/discharge for testing or a more gradual charge/discharge. I only charge my batteries once a day if even that much sometimes.

Doh! After looking through the accounting books, I bought the batteries in early 2005, not 2004. So subtract about 2,000 miles and about another 200 charge cycles from that. So they are nearly 2 years old, not 3 and charge cycles are probably closer to 300 by now.

I found it but it was not NIMH it was Lithium batteries.

"Aging of lithium-ion is an issue that is often ignored. A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years." and 300-500 cycles.

How they tested:
When conducting battery tests in a laboratory, it should be noted that the performance in a protected environment is commonly superior to that in field use. Elements of stress and inconsistency present in everyday use cannot be simulated accurately in the lab. Here are some of the reasons why:

Under a full cycle program, as conducted in this test, nickel-based batteries are not affected by crystalline formation (memory). Memory shortens battery life in everyday use if not properly maintained. Applying a full discharge/charge cycle once a month solves this problem. Nickel-cadmium is more prone to memory than nickel-metal-hydride.

Lithium-ion benefited from a controlled life cycle test because the aspect of aging plays a less significant role. The service life of lithium-ion in real life is a combination of cycle count and aging. All batteries are affected by aging in various degrees.

Another reason why life the lab cycling produced very positive readings is the controlled temperature environment in which the tests were carried out. In true life, the batteries meet much harsher treatment and are often exposed to heat. Furthermore, the batteries in our test were charged with a well-defined charge algorithm. Overcharge was minimized and damaging heat buildup prevented. Low-cost consumer chargers do not always service the battery optimally.

The type of load with which the batteries are discharged also plays a role. The above test consisted of an even DC discharge. Digital equipment loads the battery with heavy current bursts. Tests have shown reduced cycle life when a battery is discharged with sharp current pulses as opposed to DC, even though the delivered end-energy is the same. Cell phones, laptop computers digital cameras are devices that draw such heavy current spikes.

In some other aspects, however, a lab test may be harder on the battery than actual field use. In our test, each cycle applied a full discharge. The nickel-based packs were drained to 1.0 volt and lithium-ion to 3.0 volts per cell. In typical field use, the discharge before re-charge is normally shallower. A partial discharge puts less strain on the battery, which benefits lithium-ion and to some extent also nickel-metal-hydride. Nickel-cadmium is least affected by delivering full cycles. Manufacturers normally specify the cycle life of lithium-ion at an 80% depth-of-discharge.

Darn me for not reading this thread earlier than just now.

Wow, you're getting me sold on those BatterySpace NIMH packs!

My point for now, though, is that the stock Currie controller served fine at 36V, even in its unventilated cubby.

The LED battery meter was useless, of course, but the controller took the guff fine!

We can presume that a brush motor controller has a much easier time of it than a BL controller.

Why, all the BM controller is doing, is pulsing a single phase of current.
It runs cool, very cool, in comparison to the complex and busy BL controllers.

I wonder if the Currie controller will handle 48V?
I'll find out some day when I do another live-or-die test.

But, most definitely, at 36V and in summer temps, the 24V rated Unite motor will burn out if pushed full throttle for several miles at a clip.

It will require force cooling. I did that, and am confident the motor will live indefinitely if a blower is employed (blower shoving air through a modified motor's housing).

Will re-make that old V forum thread someday.

Read this thread with some interest as I've just had absolutely pathetic performance from an 8Ah Nicad pack I purchased (switched back to lead last night after 3 commutes on Nicad). So I was wondering how the 12Ah Nimh pack performed?

I really like the weight saving of Nicad, but it's not worth it when the pack struggles to provide 200W to the motor. Since I'm now the owner of a suitable charger, if the Nimh is worthwhile I might consider coughing up the extra $$ if it's as good a performer as SLA.

The Australian version of this bike is slightly different, our 24V controller is current limited to 25A instead of 35A which seems to be the case for US models. In practise the highest I've discharged through my controller is 22A using the SLA, but the Nicad pack (which according to the website I bought it from was good for 25A) barely manages 17.45A fresh off the charger, then struggles to maintain 11A, sagging immediately to 22V which is the low voltage cutoff for my controller.

I've ordered another cheap Chinese controller which reportedly has a low voltage cutoff of 20.5V as the vendor of the Nicad pack tells me that will be a more suitable low voltage cutoff for it, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Hello

don't give up on your Nicad packs it sounds like it needs a little conditioning and topping off, run it totally flat then charge then take it off the charger for a couple of hours and charge again, do this for a few cycles things should start to improve, also check your connections and wiring you should be getting a lot more than 2C from them, the low voltage cut off Is a problem, but this may be down to volts dropping on a bad connection.

My NIMH pack is a 48V 13AH F cell based pack and can thump out 40A in peaks, your 8AH NICAD should be able to deliver 3C at least in peaks? dont go back to lead!! stick with it, you are in OZ so not sure what vendors you have locally, Justin from e-bikes ca does some nice NICAD packs with discharge graphs from the pack so you can see its performance, he also does NIMH.

Good Luck

Knoxie

Hey Lemmiwinks,

Nice to see everyone is coming back. I finally signed up yesterday after a month of lurking. Still haven't seen GeeBee though.

My 24V 8AH Nicads do fine for me on my recumbent with the Unite motor and my wife's mountain bike with a P2A hub motor. I get about 9AH out of them and have put around 20-30 cycles on mine. How many cycles have you put them through?

Back