MotoPed Santa Cruz

I would take one of those frames for sure - looks like it would make a neat eBike platform frame too...

-Mike

Hi Rodger,

rodgah said:
I still think the motoped is asking for trouble, because it looks too much like a dirtbike...
With no gas tank and a normal bicycle seat it would look a lot more like a normal dh bicycle.

Doctorbass said:
doc007 said:
Frame, Swing Arm, and Rear Shock = $870

Frame and Swing Arm = $770

...can't wait to see someone incorporate this frame into their e-bike build!

I wonder how much HAL(Greyborg) charges for his frames?

Where did you got these price info?

770$ for that is interesting to me since i already thave the manitou..

Doc

Hey DoctorBass, glad you brought this thread back. Hopefully, you will make my dream come true and electrify this beast. At the time, the prices I listed were on the website in the "buy" section. I guess they decided to sell the bike with some more components. Maybe if you contact the sales department they may hold their original quoted price and sell you the components that they listed originally. If they do, I look forward to seeing your work on this bike.

-The Other...Other Doc :wink:

sk8norcal said:
seen another SCMW bike vid before..
i should go check out that factory..

btw, can some explain how the 3-speed semi-auto clutch work on the xr50?

i am familiar with scooter and motorcycle stuff...

When you pull the gear peg it pulls a clutch and shifts, when you let go it falls into the gear. At any time you can coast by shifting, but not releasing the gear peg. As soon as it is let go it falls back into gear.

For those of you looking to buy something like this, I will soon be offering just that, I just have to get it built. I will be selling the frame kit, or a full you bolt it together type kit, and also a complete bike. I am shooting for a decent price range not something inflated like the Opti or something. I assure you it will fit the bill for coasting downhill then motoring up easily. Its coming guys and it WON"T weigh 100lbs finished FOR SURE! I will have something fun to show on my site by this weekend...

That's right, 100 mpg and being able to get up on one wheel from throttle responce ( With the 155 motor ) To hell with that and go with electric / Lets see, well at least $400.00 to $700.00 for bateries / something 60vdc or above at least, another who knows what for your motor and controler and all so that you can limit yourself to something like 40-50 miles max. No more wheelies?????? That would be retarded in my book, I'll stick with the gas anfd ride all the live long day on one wheel if i want to

mike5ive said:
I'll stick with the gas anfd ride all the live long day on one wheel if i want to

Go ahead and if you lived in my area you'd be running and hiding when I come along on my ebike, just like all the gassers around here now do. They don't like a 270lb guy looking like Humpty-Dumpty on a 130lb ebike embarrassing the hell out of them, so they change their travel plans to avoid getting caught on the road next to me. :mrgreen:

Lol! John you beat me to it!

Yes but you will be limited to the distance your batteries will take you and bring you back and in my case I want to be taken to the beach, 35 mile’s each way, that’s a bit of a push with 30ah of lipo4s. If you have geared your ebike to stand on one wheel and you have retained the ability to travel 70 miles I salute you, nonetheless sooner or later you will have to re-charge and this bike with the gas motor will still be ready to ride/ no insurance/ no drivers license also. Don’t get me wrong here, I love my ebike and I ride it every day for traveling around town but for the purposes of this thread my disposition herein is solely due to the ah I am limited to. When 100ah of battery life comparable to that of these lipo’s will fit into my battery box ( which now holds 23ah’s ) I have 7ah in a separate box under the seat and behind the side fairings. And they are no heaver than my 23ah’s are I personally will have reached happiness.

36v 30ah lipo4s / 1000 watt motor / 1000w 40a controller / Standing on one wheel just from throttle response is only possible with a 13mph gearing and I much prefer the 30 plus I enjoy with my present gearing. All a dead issue with the gas motor on that bike so I am building / nothing wrong with having both bikes in my book.

Attachments

• 1234.JPG
    1234.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 4,169
interesting build.. if it meets your needs then congratulations..
but where is the video of you riding it all day long on one wheel???
i hope your road to the beach is straight haha :lol:
i find having the front wheel on the ground helps with steering etc..
also, it looks like your ebike would break into pieces from going down stairs
or hitting some small jumps, etc..
surely you are not suggesting that a Walgoose makes for a better chassis than a motoped???
because that would be, to use your vernacular, retarded.. :roll:
if you love wheelies so much then maybe consider the audi ebike..
it has a wheelie mode.. :wink:
http://youtu.be/mbGEJpPvaqQ

mike5ive said:
Yes but you will be limited to the distance your batteries will take you and bring you back and in my case I want to be taken to the beach, 35 mile’s each way, that’s a bit of a push with 30ah of lipo4s. If you have geared your ebike to stand on one wheel and you have retained the ability to travel 70 miles I salute you, nonetheless sooner or later you will have to re-charge and this bike with the gas motor will still be ready to ride/ no insurance/ no drivers license also. Don’t get me wrong here, I love my ebike and I ride it every day for traveling around town but for the purposes of this thread my disposition herein is solely due to the ah I am limited to. When 100ah of battery life comparable to that of these lipo’s will fit into my battery box ( which now holds 23ah’s ) I have 7ah in a separate box under the seat and behind the side fairings. And they are no heaver than my 23ah’s are I personally will have reached happiness.

36v 30ah lipo4s / 1000 watt motor / 1000w 40a controller / Standing on one wheel just from throttle response is only possible with a 13mph gearing and I much prefer the 30 plus I enjoy with my present gearing. All a dead issue with the gas motor on that bike so I am building / nothing wrong with having both bikes in my book.
file.php

Hell no riding on one wheel isn’t my thing, for mine to do so it needs to be geared down to a 13mph top speed anyway as afore stated but I beat the hell out of this thing almost daily and have never broken a weld on the frame or swing arm ever but then I added gussets to every part of the frame where I could fit one and had the entire frame re-hardened afterward. I think you have the complete wrong idea about where I’m coming from. I fricking love that motoped and I am presently building one

:shock: 8) cool then let us know how it turn out!

mike5ive said:
Hell no riding on one wheel isn’t my thing, for mine to do so it needs to be geared down to a 13mph top speed anyway as afore stated but I beat the hell out of this thing almost daily and have never broken a weld on the frame or swing arm ever but then I added gussets to every part of the frame where I could fit one and had the entire frame re-hardened afterward. I think you have the complete wrong idea about where I’m coming from. I fricking love that motoped and I am presently building one

Well as it turns out it would have cost lots more to build one than to buy one so...........I painted two cars and assembled one hi-performance Honda motor ( they supplied the parts ) in trade for a new one from pirate cycles. $3,999 with no motor
The motors they offer are Lifan and for one they are Chinese and secondly they shift 1-2-3-4 and back to 1. No downshifting as i understand it...perhaps i am mistaken ? In any event i don't think so and i can easily imagine going down the road believing i may be in 3rd gear but being in forth and shifting...............As you might imagine that might not be too much fun ( an understatement of astronomical proportions )
So anyway I put my Honda 70cc semi-automatic motor in it after i had ground off the 72cc casting on the cylinder and stamped 49cc into it ( as per California law / pedals that work, below 50cc with no clutch / no license required ) and rode it around the block once to find that it has some transmission issues ( I took the motor out of an ATC i had bought )
So i pulled the motor and replaced it with the motor Motopeds used for their You-Tube video / A Pitster pro 155z motor which i had planed to do the same thing i had done to the Honda 70 motor / grind off the cc's and stamp 49cc into it but upon receiving the motor it became self evident that even the dumbest cop that ever lived wouldn't believe it was only 49cc so i am now getting a new shifting drum and shift forks etc for the 70 to put back in it.
Beyond this ( if anyone is thinking of doing the same sometime or ) The 155 z motor is 1 1/4 inches to wide at the kick-starter and so the pedal arm hits it and makes the pedals non-operational ( Obviously ) I thought of maybe customizing the pedal arm to clear the kick-started or perhaps
shortening the kick-starter shaft ( either way would work ) But it's still academic that there was no way the motor would pass for 49cc and then there is the it has a clutch issue
70cc auto for around town
155 z motor for strictly off road / its a very, very simple swap
Oh, yes and i ordered mine in black, all black

You ever notice that all the scientific instruments searching for intelligent life are pointed away from earth

The guy who makes the frames is awesome and very skilled. I would never be satisfied with a little 150cc 4stroke on one though, shifting is time you could have been applying power, as well as the ability to be in the wrong gear. I like my torque from 0rpm, and I like torque that would twist the crankshaft in half in little 4 strokes.

@liveforphysics I like my little mongoose plenty ( the blue thing a few posts up on this same thread ) and i am currently trying to decide which non-hub motor i should purchase for the thing, perhaps you would be kind enough to lend me a suggestion. I Been looking at what cloud electric has to offer for starters but as you might notice from the pictures of my little e-scooter I am very limited in my capacity to carry more ah, in fact I have no room for any more than I already have, that being 24ah in the box and 6ah under the seat behind the plastic side covers / lifepo4s @ 36v . The 1000w currie motors that TNC scooters sells and claim can handle 40a / Well my 1000w 40a controller smokes the windings, the brushes or both out of those motors before I even get close to getting 400 miles out of them at $100.00 + a shot so as you might imagine that gets pretty old and expensive fast.
36v 30ah and the motor has to be thin enough to be able to run the pedals and chain on one side and the motors chain on the other………I would be immensely appreciative for any suggestions you can make
Thank you for your consideration.
@ ateureka Yes I believe that kick starter program failed to reach the amount they were hoping for and as for competitive prices………..No comment. But the bike is really fricking cool nonetheless, 8 inches of travel front and rear / the suspension is just awesome smooth flying off or over bumps and hills. To purchase all the parts one by one would cost a mint, hell the Whites front forks are $1,100.00 a pop without the front wheel and etc.

Lastly yes the 70cc or the 155 z motor leave a lot to be desired, most especially coming from someone who’s first bike was a 3 cyl Kawasaki 750cc two stroke and his last was a GSXR 1000 with a huge Rayjay turbo that would push 11 lbs of boost from out of the driveway to across the street but what else can a person do to stay legal after when the DMV yanks your drivers license ??? Therein is the reasoning for my having one of the dam things

I have six locks on my door all in a row and when I go out I lock every other one. I figure that no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks they are always locking three

@liveforphysics
I had never noticed the links you have posted till right now, thanks it is just awesome and there is even a fricking simulator 8) very 8)
Maybe i should go with a hub motor, so long as a can still get 30 + mph out of the bike like i do now with those junk currie motors.
These is so much information and parts there though its like where do i start. how about sending me in the right direction as per 24in rim / etc, v and ah i have to save me a little time... Please

It's not what you know, or don't know. It's what you know that isn't so that will hurt you
Will Rodgers (circa ) 1939

mike5ive said:
@ jateureka Yes I believe that kick starter program failed to reach the amount they were hoping for ...

No, this is a NEW kickstarter with lower prices and they HAVE exceeded their target...

Back