Motor Excellence

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernew...Article/detail/723962?contextCategoryId=48475
Arizona motor company powering electric bicycles in China, Europe
Publish date: May 23, 2011

An electric motor company in Flagstaff, Ariz., is going global to build motors for electric bikes and other applications.

Electric-powered bicycles, or e-bikes, are the first commercial application for the 5-inch high motor from Motor Excellence.

Contracts to build up to 1,000 high-efficiency electric motors by the end of the year for customers in Europe and Asia are expected to add 30 jobs by the end of the year to the 40 the company already employs.

The company won a nearly $1 million grant from the Arizona Commerce Authority for clean energy technology.

"Opening this new [manufacturing] facility empowers us to grow our business and significantly advance our business plan," Motor Excellence executive chairman Michael Manson told the Daily SUn.

The company is more than two years ahead of the schedule it set in 2009 when it received the $962,000 grant from the 21st Century Grant Program coordinated by the ACA. The grant used federal stimulus funds specifically designed for investing in energy-efficient and renewable-energy products manufactured in Arizona.

"The 21st Century Grant allowed Motor Excellence to purchase the manufacturing equipment and hire the team needed to turn their designs into real products," the company said in a press release.

The company has 14 patents issued and more than 25 pending, along with $50 million committed by private investors.

"Currently, a broad range of industry leaders is evaluating how to incorporate our motors in their specific applications," Manson says. "We're on a quest to make a dent in the universe."

Posted by Holly Wagner

Pretty limited production. It'd be fun to know who is getting these first 1000 motors...

L0cK

comparing it with the nearly identical diameter falco Dx;

ME is double the weight and has an order of magnitude higher cogging torque.
on the flipside it also has double the torque/power in roughly the same size package.

they're both rated for 48V use so i think that's on fair & equal grounds.
just to underscore the difference in torque density.
the larger falco Hx only manages to slightly exceed ME's peak torque despite its much bigger (nearly double) diameter lever advantage.
tho falco still holds the edge in specific torque, despite it's size Hx is still 1.2kg lighter.
i know torque is king, but weight is a biggie too, plus there's the cogging...
hmm... never a clear winner, decisions, decisions.

it's an impressive achievement if it holds true on more than just paper & will be something special no doubt.
but then i knew it would be... it has the 'safe' seal of approval.
if only they could combine transverse flux with a halbach parallel path switched reluctance induction motor he'd almost be satisfied. :mrgreen:

Motor Excellence, founded in 2007, used some of the money to grow from a 5,000 square-foot plant that had 19 employees. It currently has 40 employees and expects that to grow to 70 by the end of the year, two years faster than originally scheduled...
...Contracts to build up to 1,000 high-efficiency electric motors by the end of the year ....

anyone want to calculate the "real cost " of those motors after 4 years of development by 20 -40 engineers ?
i wonder what their business plan looks like ?
I wish them luck, but i suspect they have taken on a very competitive market where price is everthing and margins probably do not exist !

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
comparing it with the nearly identical diameter falco Dx;

ME is double the weight and has an order of magnitude higher cogging torque.
on the flipside it also has double the torque/power in roughly the same size package.

they're both rated for 48V use so i think that's on fair & equal grounds.
just to underscore the difference in torque density.
the larger falco Hx only manages to slightly exceed ME's peak torque despite its much bigger (nearly double) diameter lever advantage.
tho falco still holds the edge in specific torque, despite it's size Hx is still 1.2kg lighter.
i know torque is king, but weight is a biggie too, plus there's the cogging...
hmm... never a clear winner, decisions, decisions.

it's an impressive achievement if it holds true on more than just paper & will be something special no doubt.
but then i knew it would be... it has the 'safe' seal of approval.
if only they could combine transverse flux with a halbach parallel path switched reluctance induction motor he'd almost be satisfied. :mrgreen:

Can you give me a link to this falco dx motor

Www.falcoemotors.com

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/la...cle_ea9e89bf-576e-5147-bd54-843ca47e4e56.html
Layoffs at startup

By JOE FERGUSON Sun Staff Reporter
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:00 am

4ec6c82612227.image.jpg

In this file photo Jon Mrkonich, left, and Tom Rainey of Motor Excellence stand behind a bicycle powered by a prototype electric motor. (Jake Bacon/Arizona Daily Sun)

A fledgling manufacturer of electric motors in Flagstaff has had to make significant layoffs even before it fulfilled its first big order.

Motor Excellence laid off a total of 16 employees earlier this week, roughly a third of its entire staff.

President Jon Mrkonich said the company needed to downsize part of its research team in order to focus on delivering its five-inch motor for a European-based electric bicycle manufacturer.

It will continue to conduct research into a small, prototype motor that could be used in human prosthetics.

The company had more than doubled its staff over the last year, reaching a total of 56 full-time positions before this week's layoffs. It also reduced the hours of another employee.

Mrkonich said the eliminated positions were primarily tied to research into other possible applications of the existing technology, including several prototype motors being used inside a retrofitted Lotus Elan sports car.

"Large propulsion and generation are the two things we are not going to be pursuing right now," Mrkonich said. "We got good results from the prototypes we developed, but there are only so many things we can push forward at one time."

Those technologies would be put on hold as the company focuses on securing a major contract with an electric bike manufacturer, he said.

The layoffs were split among several types of personnel, including five engineers.

The company could, however, begin hiring a different type of worker -- primarily assembly line staff -- in a matter of weeks.

Mrkonich confirmed the company's e-bike customer -- which has production facilities in Taiwan and distributes its product in Europe -- has an agreement in place with the Flagstaff manufacturer based on a final prototype. He said the customer will be in Flagstaff next month to tour the facilities.

Manufacturing of the five-inch motor could begin here in Flagstaff in the next 30 to 60 days, Mrkonich said.

"We will soon be hiring for the factory," he predicted.

The layoffs will not affect a $962,000 grant the company received as part of the 21st Century Grant Program coordinated by the Arizona Commerce Authority in 2009.

The grant, which used federal stimulus funds to promote energy-efficient and renewable energy products manufactured in Arizona, required the company to hire 16 workers.

At the time, the company had a total of only 19 employees. After the layoffs this week, the company currently has 39 full-time employees.

Mrkonich said some of the employees let go had been with the company for two years.

"That was a very hard decision for us," Mrkonich said. "We said goodbye to some friends yesterday."

Joe Ferguson can be reached at 556-2253 or jferguson@azdailysun.com.

Copyright 2011 azdailysun.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I still don't see how it's constructed from their drawings. Where's the copper?

From their website:
An e-bike equipped with an EDGE motor can easily power up a 10 percent grade, far exceeding the capabilities of any e-bike motor currently available.

Hmmm... guess they haven't seen many ES projects :wink:

I had spoken with the guys in Hampshire UK, very very cryptic about everything. Nice guys but the price was waaayyy out of anything I could use for my builds....shame as they live just around the corner from me.

Hope there motors do what they say though.

fechter said:
I still don't see how it's constructed from their drawings. Where's the copper?

Look up "transverse flux" motors/generator. Basically what they have done is split a regular 3 rotor transverse flux motor into a 2 rotor transverse flux motor with each of their 3 phases taking up 120 degree arc of the motor rather than having one phase per rotor. The biggest gain they may have made is if they have managed to come up with an inexpensive and simple way of assembling the motor. By having the three phases each take 120 degrees, they might be able to assemble it like 3 pieces of pie, but the pole structure is still going to be complicated and thus probably not cheap to manufacture.

-ryan

OK, I looked it up and can pretty much see how it goes now. Takes a bit of study to see what's going on. Interesting idea, but it may have some disadvantages as well as advangages. The real test is to get one and give it to Luke to see what it does :twisted:

It has been a few months, anybody got any news?

And how expensive is expensive? Anyone got a number?

This motor could very well be the better option for a mid-drive engine or a front motor setup. Atleast that's what I think..

Lots of new info on their website.

Here's the spec. sheet:
http://www.motorexcellence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/MeBike_Fact_Sheet.pdf
Pretty impressive...

Spacey said:
I had spoken with the guys in Hampshire UK, very very cryptic about everything. Nice guys but the price was waaayyy out of anything I could use for my builds....shame as they live just around the corner from me.

Hope there motors do what they say though.

Tell us more! :p

They are trying to be an OEM manufacturer and have other companies sell and market the motor as part of an ebike package and not as a separate add-on motor.

I've heard rumors rip that Brompton may be using their lighter motor. That is why they aren't giving a price. Perhaps if you said you wanted 1,000 motors, they would give you a quote! :shock: :D

Ambroseliao wrote: "I've heard rumors rip that Brompton may be using their lighter motor."

Pedelecs AndyOfTheSouth wrote: "Just received this email on the prospective electric Brompton..."
In which the Brompton Team says their Project X was more Project E and they are partnering with Taiwanese Ultra Motors for the eBrompton. Either Ultra Motors is working w/ Excellence or the rumor is false?

has anyone tried that 600W continous motor? Only 37 mOhms Phase resistance WTF!! only 4,7kg....only 130mm diameter? sounds to me like a MAC but direct drive with virtually the same pole count? And the ability of oil cooling (Since it is an inrunner?) and the ability to push it to the moon? Sounds to good to be true really...
http://etmpower.com/our-motors/500w-e-bike-direct-drive-motor/
500WeBikeMotor2.png

Or is it an outrunner? I'd really like to try this!

Also note the trough-axle and cassette spline..really interesting IMO

guess this is the trasverse flux outnrunner form the patend that miles already mentioned above?

Attachments

• transverse_flux_outrunner_hub.png
    transverse_flux_outrunner_hub.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,865
Looks promising.

The way that they've messed up this page doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the specification, though:
http://etmpower.com/our-motors/edge-350-hub-motor-for-electric-bicycles/

C face mounting? Why didn't we think of that?

:mrgreen:

Miles said:
The way that they've messed up this page doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the specification, though:
http://etmpower.com/our-motors/edge-350-hub-motor-for-electric-bicycles/
I guess they didn't like the page:
Sorry! The page you tried to access is no longer available.

Please use your browser's back button to return to the previous page and try again. If you need assistance, please email info@motorexcellence.com with information on what you were trying to do.

Need help finding the right page? Visit our sitemap.

does a transverse motor need a special controller, or does it work with any 3-phase BLDC? And do they have hall sensors?

Back