Mountian Bike Coverted to 36V E-Bike

knightmb

100 kW
My very first E-bike. It was using (3) 12V @ 12AH Lead Acid Batteries in the back and a 400 Watt Electric Motor in the front. Top Speed was 20 MPH and it had about a 25 mile range. It was a very comfortable and very loud road ride because of the tires, :lol:

Attachments

• Dcp02191.jpg
    Dcp02191.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,281
  • Dcp02192.jpg
    Dcp02192.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 3,281
  • Dcp02193.jpg
    Dcp02193.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 3,281
  • Dcp02195.jpg
    Dcp02195.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3,280
  • Dcp02196.jpg
    Dcp02196.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 3,281
Is this the one who's fork broke?

Mathurin said:
Is this the one who's fork broke?

It was this one.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9

The early picture show the original "aluminum" fork with shocks, the bottom picture shows the replacement "steel" fork (with no shocks :cry: )
I really miss the shocks, but they don't make the replacements anymore because the bike is so old and new ones that will work with a motor cost more than the bike did, so I'm almost better off just buying the newest hybrid urban bike with a full set of shocks already.

Knightmb, I've been looking into a suspension fork to mount my hub motor as the roads around here are being torn up and I can't take it anymore. I've noticed that most of the good "alloy" suspension forks have a "recess" bored into the drop-outs for the quick release and also to keep the axel from falling off if it gets loose. This seems to cut down on the overall thickness of the drop-out and further weaken it for "our use." I was planning on making dual torque arms because of this.

Does your mountain bike have the "recess" bored into the drop-outs? Did you do anything special to mount the hub motor? Also, how many miles do you have on it?

D-Man said:
Knightmb, I've been looking into a suspension fork to mount my hub motor as the roads around here are being torn up and I can't take it anymore. I've noticed that most of the good "alloy" suspension forks have a "recess" bored into the drop-outs for the quick release and also to keep the axel from falling off if it gets loose. This seems to cut down on the overall thickness of the drop-out and further weaken it for "our use." I was planning on making dual torque arms because of this.

Does your mountain bike have the "recess" bored into the drop-outs? Did you do anything special to mount the hub motor? Also, how many miles do you have on it?

These may not be the best pictures because it's really beat up after years of use. The recess is there to hold the washers in place, which holds the wheel in place. I believe the fork is completely aluminum and not composite. That's what surprises me that it has not broken yet. I guess it's just a lot of aluminum and I don't have a motor strong enough to rip it out.

Attachments

• e-bike front fork 01.jpg
    e-bike front fork 01.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3,125
  • e-bike front fork 02.jpg
    e-bike front fork 02.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 3,125
Back